17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 2:35 PM by 4crawler RSS

Screen capture protection for protected content error message

4crawler

New Windows 8 PC (Lenovo K430 model w/ NVidia GT340 gfx. card and Sony Bravia LCD TV via HDMI connection).  Installed DIRECTV2PC app, it loads and runs.  Updated driver on 1/8/13 off of NVidia site to latest version.  NVidia graphics card control panel shows the GT340 <-> Sony Bravia connection is HDCP compliant.  I have used that same TV to connect to the set top box and DVD players and all play "protected content" just fine.  Also, I see no programs listed in my HD DVR playlist and only see the DirecTV Cinema listings and can't play any of them due to the above error. 

So I have loaded the latest graphics card driver, I am running an HDMI cable to an HDCP compliant monitor and I can see that the connection is secure per the graphics card vendor utility and the Playback advisor says all is good to go outside of the O/S since it is not Windows 7.and that advisor application says my screen capture protection is green/good.

• Re: Screen capture protection for protected content error message
    dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by 4crawler 

Also, I see no programs listed in my HD DVR playlist and only see the DirecTV Cinema listings and can't play any of them due to the above error. 

On your HD DVR remote press the dash (-) button.  Does the message indicate Internet connected?  If so is the DVR connected to the same sub network as your computer?

4crawler
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dcd 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4crawler 

Also, I see no programs listed in my HD DVR playlist and only see the DirecTV Cinema listings and can't play any of them due to the above error. 

On your HD DVR remote press the dash (-) button.  Does the message indicate Internet connected?  If so is the DVR connected to the same sub network as your computer?

Yes internet connected:

Receiver...569077

SWIM Connected

Internet Connected

4crawler

And forgot to reply earlier that the internet connection for the DVR is into the same ethernet switch as the PCs, all on the same subnet and the PC can see the DVR in the Network neighborhood in Windows explorer, an in fact can see the other two non-DVR set top boxes and the other STBs can play stored content off the HD-DVR and that has all been working fine for the year since it has been installed. 

4crawler

Also noted one other thing is that the correct DVR hard drive remaining space is shown properly below the empty playlist.  That is the % free shown on the DIRECTV2PC screen is the same $ number shown on the HD-DVR List screen.  So the PC appears to be seeing and reading some information from the DVR (HR34 as I recall).

dcd

A couple of configuration things you might try.  First, on the computer, temporarily disable the firewall and virus program, shut down the Directv2PC program but leave the computer running and do a red button (inside card door) reset of the DVR.  When the reset is complete open the program and see if the play list fills in.  If not, go to the menu -> system setup -> pick receiver and go through the motions of selecting a new receiver.

A side note.  The software will only run in "Windows Basic" mode and is designed to switch automatically.  It's obvious when the switch occurs and if you aren't seeing this you might try setting basic manually.  On the desktop, right click -> personalize -> basic.

4crawler

Thanks, that made a bit of progress.  Seems that resetting the DVR (HR34/700) got past the screen capture protection issue as I can not play the DTV Cinema selections.  I still see "There are no recorded programs at this time".  I have re-selected the receiver (only have one DVR so that is the only selection I can make).  The space remaining number is correct, and the program takes some time with the spinning busy cursor displayed (maybe 10-15 seconds) while starting up like it is reading something.

I turned the firewall/AV off and back on and notice no difference.  I don't see the Windows Basic setting in the desktop->personalize screen, only change visuals, theme, etc.  My two non-DVR STBs can access and play recorded content off the HD-DVR.  The PC in the Network neighborhood can see the 2 STBs and the DVR   On the DVR Menu-Setup->WholeHome menu there is an Add Client item where it gives you a 4 digit code to enter on the new device.  Does this need to be done with the Directv2PC app?  If so, where do you enter that 4 digit number?

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by 4crawler 

Thanks, that made a bit of progress.  Seems that resetting the DVR (HR34/700) got past the screen capture protection issue as I can not play the DTV Cinema selections.  I still see "There are no recorded programs at this time".  I have re-selected the receiver (only have one DVR so that is the only selection I can make).  The space remaining number is correct, and the program takes some time with the spinning busy cursor displayed (maybe 10-15 seconds) while starting up like it is reading something.

I turned the firewall/AV off and back on and notice no difference.  I don't see the Windows Basic setting in the desktop->personalize screen, only change visuals, theme, etc.  My two non-DVR STBs can access and play recorded content off the HD-DVR.  The PC in the Network neighborhood can see the 2 STBs and the DVR   On the DVR Menu-Setup->WholeHome menu there is an Add Client item where it gives you a 4 digit code to enter on the new device.  Does this need to be done with the Directv2PC app?  If so, where do you enter that 4 digit number?

As to the screen resolution.  If you are running Windows 7, on the desktop right click the mouse -> select "personalize" -> you'll get the "change the visuals" menu.  The lower right selection is "Windows 7 Basic".  Select that one and try your Directv2PC again.

As to the 4 digit code question.  That is used to add a client STB to a HR34 DVR (Genie) and does not involve Directv2PC in any way.

4crawler
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4crawler 

As to the screen resolution.  If you are running Windows 7, on the desktop right click the mouse -> select "personalize" -> you'll get the "change the visuals" menu.  The lower right selection is "Windows 7 Basic".  Select that one and try your Directv2PC again.

As to the 4 digit code question.  That is used to add a client STB to a HR34 DVR (Genie) and does not involve Directv2PC in any way.

Windows 8 as mentioned earlier (Win8 pro w/ media center just installed earlier this week and updated).  Under screen resolution I have a choice of 1) monitor, and the screen resolution (1920x1080 - recommended).  Under personalization, I have a choice of theme, background, color, sounds and screen saver but no Basic or other setting. 

Under Windows Media Player, I can see the DirecTV media server and the Directtv2pc media server in the network neighborhood and they have the correct IP addresses as shown on the HD-DVR setup screen.  It seems that everything is working properly except for displaying any recorded content in the playlist.

4crawler

Found some older posts one about watching network traffic between PC and DVR and another saying to change the ListBy secection from Date to A-Z.  So tried both, using TaskManager->Resource monitor to watch network traffic and upon selecting a new sort option for recordings, I get about 15-20 seconds of network traffice between directv2pc(tm).exe to the IP address of the DVR (192.1868.1.64 - statically set).  PC is at 192.168.1.107 (DHCP) and using a class C netmask ()255.255.255.0).  But I tried all 4 sort options A-Z, Z-A, New-Old, Old-New and still "There are no recorded programs at this time".  In the Win8 Network browser, I see the Media server and in Properties, shows the proper IP address and the serial number and unique identifier shows the RID (received ID?) number of the receiver I select in the directv2pc app.  All STBs, DVRs and PCs are hard wired to an 8-port switch.  I can also get Media Share to work from the STBs and the DVR.  They all see the Win8 PC running Media Player. 

So very puzzling why I can see no recordings to select from.  What setup issue is unique to ONLY playlist entries and nothing else?

4crawler

Sorry, DVR - IP address above was mistyped: should be 192.168.1.64

4crawler

According to this thread, there has been an issue with the HR34/700 DVR and diretv2pc.exe application in the past:

- http://forums.directv.com/message/10990053#10990053

It is unclear from that thread whether this issue has been fixed or not, but it seems not as I have the exact same issue that was being described last year.  Can anyone confirm if directv2pc.exe works with the HR34/700 DVR?

As a side note, I have all sharing settings that I can find on the DVR set to Allow and as noted earlier, I can play stored recordings from the two set top boxes I have on the same network just fine.  I can list, play, delete and record from any STB no problem.  It is just the PC that I have trouble with.

dcd

Directv2PC works just fine with the HR34.  I will say again, the "theme" of your desktop MUST be Windows Basic and you MUST figure out how to do that in Windows 8.  The program will not run with the desktop in Aero theme.

4crawler

Directv2PC works just fine with the HR34.  I will say again, the "theme" of your desktop MUST be Windows Basic and you MUST figure out how to do that in Windows 8.  The program will not run with the desktop in Aero theme.

OK, the Windows basic Theme was not clear before, but in Windows 8 I have 3 default themes, "Windows", "Earth" and "Flowers", but nothing named "Basic" or "Windows Basic", so I have "Windows" selected as well the other ones and the vendor supplied theme (Lenovo) and all 4 give the exact same results.  The only change is the color of the window border on the directv2pc window.  It still picks up the correct space remaining from the DVR and still lists DirecTV Cinema items, but shows "There are no recorded programs at this time".  Also tried running in various compatibility modes and (XP-SP3 normal user (won't play CInema videos) and XP-SP3+Administrator and Windows 7 normal user and those work the same as Windows 8. 

4crawler

Just tried running directv2pc again this afternoon and found a couple of listings in the DVR playlist, most either newly recorded shows or folders that I have viewed/deleted a program from in the last day or so.  So perhaps it is some sort of time stamp issue, such that the DVR will not list shows or folders created or modified prior to the time that it first recognized the directv2pc client, which was yesterday, although there is one show I recorded nearly a year ago that showed up.  So with a few hundred recorded shows, I can see about 6, better than nothing I suppose.

And I tried with a non-Windows default theme and I get the same functionality as with a default Windows theme.  So apparently the theme does not matter in Windows 8.

4crawler

Well, after a brief glimmer of hope yesterday when a total of 6 shows popped up in the DVR playlist, today there is nothing again.  PC has not been rebooted and DVR has not been reset and network and connections have not been changed since yesterday when the playlist display worked a bit for a brief time. 

So any ideas what would make the playlist appear and disappear over time?  I can still see the playlist from the two set top boxes, so the DVR still is working normally.

4crawler

I still get "There are no recorded programs at this time".  Still running that same setup.  Using the installer-installed ethernet connection connection for the DVR, hard-wire connected to an 8-port eithernet switch into which the Win8 PC is plugged into.  Is there perhaps some upper limit to the number of recorded programs that can be displayed?  The DVR I am trying to access is pretty full and has 100s of shows on it.  The one time I did briefly see a total of 6 recordings listed, 3 in one folder, 2 in another and one single recording.  And at that time I was able to play one of the displayed recordings without any issue.  I have now set my desktop theme back to one of the WIn8-supplied default themes (there is no "Windows Basic" theme that I can find).  The selected theme does not seem to have any impact on the directv2pc app working or not.  When it has worked, all themes would work the same and when it does not work, all themes do not work.

So anyone have any other ideas to try????

4crawler

Started a new thread with just the remaining issue (of no recordings in the DVR playlist) since the original HDCP issue seems to have been resolved with the red button reset.