9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2013 7:01 PM by peds48 RSS

Set up with new TV

wm12166

I just bought an RCA HDTV to replace my old analog. I believe I have hooked everything up correctly but it shows on the TV screen the message "no signal" and I have tried everything I know how from initial set up of the TV to trying to get the DirecTV remote to work and nothing matters.

I am using the component cables (do not have an HDMI) and have the cable from the DirecTV in the ant/cable on the TV.

Tried auto channel search and get no channels.

Any ideas?

• Re: Set up with new TV
    peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by wm12166 

have the cable from the DirecTV in the ant/cable on the TV.

This is your problem.  the cable from the DirecTV dish/splitter connects to the satellite init in your HDDVR.  since you used component cables to interconnect the DirecTV receiver and TV, you MUST set the TV to the COMPONENT input where you connected the component cables.  Press the "source" or "input" button on your TV remote to cycle to the available inputs stoping on the correct component input.

wm12166

Clearing up....I have the cable from the wall that has the splitter on it connected to the HDDVR.  Then have another cable from HDDVR to the TV. If that is the case do I not need the component cables then?

peds48

.  Then have another cable from HDDVR to the TV. 

What type of cable?

In order to get HD, you need at the minimum component cables (5 wires, green, blue and red for video and white and red for audio).  HDMI is preferred for is simplicity 

wm12166

The component cables from the HDDVR to the TV are the 5 wire white/red audio and green/blue/red for video.  Still telling me there is no signal.

peds48

Make sure the TV is to the correct input (example, component 1 or Component 2)

dcd

Then have another cable from HDDVR to the TV. If that is the case do I not need the component cables then?

Remove that cable.  The 2nd cable connection on the HD DVR is not used in your case.  Use only the Component cables.  Your TV may be an older model and on some of those the setting for composite and component is located below channel 2.  Set the TV to channel 2 then use the TV's remote and press the down channel button one time.  Does the screen indicate something like AV1?  If so, press the down channel button one more time.  If it indicates AV2 that may be your setting.

If you post back the brand and model number of your TV someone may be able to provide specifics.

asiarae

I too have just purchased a RCA TV and am having a hard time getting my connect correct.

1st - I followed the thread and was able to lose the "no signal" message on the screen.. BUT here's my secondary issue...

Using gold tipped connectors:

Red and White connected to the DTV box and the TV

Red, Green and Blue connected to the DVD player and the TV..

Audio is great and coming from DTV .. Video coming from DVD player..

What in heavens am I doing wrong????

Also the picture has an odd yellow color to it...

asiarae

Hi there.. Did you ever find a fix?  I too have just purchased a RCA TV and am having a hard time getting my connect correct.

1st - I followed the thread and was able to lose the "no signal" message on the screen.. BUT here's my secondary issue...

Using gold tipped connectors:

Red and White connected to the DTV box and the TV

Red, Green and Blue connected to the DVD player and the TV..

Audio is great and coming from DTV .. Video coming from DVD player..

What in heavens am I doing wrong????

Also the picture has an odd yellow color to it...

peds48

The red & white is only for audio, you need video as well.  depending on receiver type, for SD you will need a Composite (connection yellow RCA type cable along with red & white) for HD, you would need either HDMI or COMPONENT (green, blue and red ALONG with red and white for audio)