15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 4:55 PM by rebonn RSS

RC65 remote problems - New to DTV

vito_a_d

I had my Genie system installed a couple of weeks ago and the remotes that came with the system are horrible. They don't respond quickly, seems like the signal is taking a walk to the box. Commands then are buffered and after  5 to 10 seconds the Genie would respond and change the channel 3 or 4 times. Very annoying. I have been reading all the posts on remotes and came to the conclusion that I need an RF capable remote which the RC65 is not.I found the RC65RBX on Amazon for $21.00 and am thinking of getting at least two. My question is except for the TV will it work right out of the box on the Genie and client or do I have to pair the remote with each receiver? Should it come with instructions for setup along with codes for the TV?

Thanks!!

• Re: RC65 remote problems - New to DTV
    yojoromo

I hope U have better luck than I did with receiving an answer.  I asked a question about a week ago and got 1 answer that was of no help in regards to my question.

peds48

Yes, you have to pair the remote to the receiver.  the remote should come with the instructions but if it does not, the instructions are readily available on the DirecTV.com site

vito_a_d

Thanks peds. I ordered the new remote the other day hoping it will solve my issues, but I am not sure it will. I think the issue is with the Genie. The reason I say that is due to the fact that I can see the light on the unit flicker so I know it got the command. Last night was extremely frustrating. I would press channel up and nothing would happen, a few seconds later the picture would freeze then a few seconds later it would go black. Then again a fews seconds later it would finally change channels skipping a couple.

peds48

Sounds like you might be getting IR interference from your TV.  if this is the case, the RF remote will take care of this.

vito_a_d

I just received my RC65RBX remote and looking at the instructions to pair it with the Genie it states to enter the code for the receiver. Looking at the list of codes I do not see the HR34. Do I use one of the DirecTV codes of 00001 or 00002?

peds48

you need to enter the last 6 digits of the RID (Receiver ID) number.  the RID number can be found inside the access card door.  But if you follow the on screen menu to program the HR34 to RF, it will tell you the number to enter.

puttn4par

No it won't I have the same problem and it didn't work. Why can't Direct TV just admit there is a problem and they have no answer ?  I have Direct TV coming tomorrow, 4th time in a month, same problem, they have no answer.

rebonn

The RC65RBX will not work with the Genie client (C31-Small box) in RF mode, only with the main HR34 receiver. This remote for some reason needs the RID# which only receivers have; hence the name Receiver I D. The Genie clients have no RID because they are not a receiver, therefore the RC65RBX will not work in RF mode with the Genie Client. The non backlit RC65RX will however work fine for the Genie client in RF mode because it doesn't require a RID. I don't know what's so hard to make  the RC65RX backlit that doesn't require a RID. No other remote requires this. 

tivoburkee

The only difference in the RC65RX and the RC65RBX is the backlighting, nothing else. If your RC65RBX isn't bringing up the same menu options as the RC65RX, then do the following on the RC65RBX:

1. dtv

2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release

3. enter 9 6 3

4. press CH UP

vito_a_d

Programmed and working as designed. Still have the lag in changing the channels, must be something with the receiver. It is very frustrating to have to wait 5 to 10 seconds for the channel to change. It is not at the time but enough to make me question my choice of going to DTV.

tivoburkee

vito, you try the opposite to sped up remote time:

1. dtv

3. enter 9 6 3

4. press CH DOWN

rebonn
    Quote:    Originally Posted by tivoburkee 

The only difference in the RC65RX and the RC65RBX is the backlighting, nothing else. If your RC65RBX isn't bringing up the same menu options as the RC65RX, then do the following on the RC65RBX:

1. dtv

3. enter 9 6 3

4. press CH UP

The RC65RBX requires an additional step to operate in RF mode which is entering the last 6 digits of the RID#.

This is fine for the HR34 but the Genie client C31 is not a receiver and has no RID#  

therefore will not work in RF mode for the clients.

vito_a_d

I have it in RF and did enter the last 6 digits of the RID. When setting it up it did instruct me to enter that code and do a CHNL UP. Will performing the steps in your last post would that help with the lag problem or do you think it is the receiver? 

rebonn
    Quote:    Originally Posted by vito_a_d 

I have it in RF and did enter the last 6 digits of the RID. When setting it up it did instruct me to enter that code and do a CHNL UP. Will performing the steps in your last post would that help with the lag problem or do you think it is the receiver? 

Have you tried resetting the receiver? I have the RC65RBX backlit remote in RF mode to the HR34 and there is no lag of which you have. Operates the receiver and TV fine. As I stated before, it will not however operate the Genie clients (C31 Small boxes) in RF mode because the remote requires a RID for RF use which the Client does not have.

When going through the steps, at the end, hitting channel up turns on the RF and chanell down turns it off and uses IR instead.  
    On another note, I couldn't get the remote to programe with the Samsung TV through the menu so I had to do it manually.

rebonn

FYI. I was able to get the RC65RBX to work in RF mode by resetting the client (holding the power button in 10 seconds) and resetting the remote (mute select 981) as well, clearing the RF in both and resetting both back to IR mode. Then using the menu to program the remote gave me the 6 digit code needed to program to RF mode. Laughing