10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2013 2:00 PM by 4crawler RSS

No recorded recordings at this time displayed with directv2pc running on Windows 8

4crawler

As requested, starting a new thread related to my remaining directv2pc playlist display issue.

Installed latest directv2pc software, selected HR34/700 DVR.  Screen displays the proper DVR ID and even the space remaining is correct.  However, no matter what I have tried (see other posts in related threads on this forum), I can't get the PC to display any recorded programs off the DVR.  I have the 1/9 DVR firmware update.  Other set top boxes can see the DVR and play shows, I have all the remote acess settings on the DVR set to "Allow".  Directv2pc can access and play DirecTV Cinema listings w/o issue, SD and HD. 

PC and DVR are plugged into the same ethernet switch (both hard wired), the DVR is connected ia a DECA box that the installer put in last year.  They are on the same class-C subnet, the PC can "see" the DVR in network neighborhood and with task manager/resource monitor I can see network traffic between the PC and the DVR when it is trying to read the playlist.  However, I see only brief spurts of network activity with the DVR, like 3-4 short blips over the 25 seconds with a longer burst at the end.  It almost looks like there is some sort of timeout/retry sequence going on, so there is a fraction of a second of network activity (like 100kb/s) then nothing for maybe 5-6 seconds, then another fraction of a second blip then 5-6 seconds of nothing.

The DVR is pretty fulll, 9-10% free w/ 1TB drive.  It takes about 25 seconds for the app to "read" the empty playlist, it is grayed out during this time.  I have tried running it in XP/SP3 and Win7 compatibility mode as well as Administrator.  I have tried all Win8 themes including the undocumented AeroLite theme that is similar to the Win7 Basic Theme.  I have done at least a dozen red button resets on the DVR.  No change with any of the above. 

- Is there any low level troubleshooting possible or is there a hidden verbose mode on the app? 

- Is there perhaps a playlist size limit on the app? 

- Has anyone got this to run  on Windows 8 with the HR34/700?

- What else can I try? 

• Re: No recorded recordings at this time displayed with directv2pc running on Windows 8
    dcd

Your problem may be that the volume of recordings exceeds the Directv2PC software to handle it (a guess on my part).  Does the software appear to be trying to load the list?  Try this.  Open the help menu and go through the motions of selecting a different DVR, even if you onl;y have one.  If you highlight etc the Genie in the list, you should be able to get it to make a new connection.

As to your connection to the Ethernet switch.  The HR34 Genie is unique in that you can run an Ethernet cable directly from the Genie's Ethernet port to the router (I assume your switch is connected to your router).  If you use the DECA BB adapter then there must not be any connection to the Genie's Ethernet port, the DECA BB attaches to the coax feed only with a Ethernet jumper connecting it to the switch.  If you have both connected.

And finally, I'm not sure the software has been updated to meet Windows 8 usage.  I do know that in Windows 7 the program will only run in Windows 7 Basic mode.  Windows 8 lacks that option.

Sorry I don't have anything definitive to offer, but the foregoing came to mind.  Thanks for starting the fresh thread.

• Re: No recorded recordings at this time displayed with directv2pc running on Windows 8
    4crawler

I have tried re-selecting the one DVR I have.  The DVR is seen, the RID number and name are proper.  I only have the DECA connection to the ethernet, nothing but the coax plugged into the HR34.  As I mentioned numerous times, it "looks like" the PC app is trying to read the DVR, it grays out for about 20 seconds with some observed network activity to the I{P address I have assigned to the DVR.  Then the app goes back to normal color (brighter) and there is about another 5 seconds of spinning busy cursor then it pops up with the blank playlist. 

The software seems to work fine in all other respects except the local playlist.  And one afternoon a week or two ago, it did pop up about 6 programs in the DVR playlist and I was able to watch one as a test.  I had one single show, one folder with 2 shows and one folder with 3 shows for the total of 6 recordings.  Then I made no changes to anything (DVR was not reset, PC was not rebooted) and the next morning I tried the PC app again and back to an empty playlist.  And I have tried running in the Win7 compatibility mode with similar results.

Would there be any value in disconnecting the DECA ethernet connection and plugging an ethernet cable into the HR34?  On the DECA box, I see the middle (NTWK) green LED blinking normally when the app is not running, I see like one blink, a few seconds of solid light, then 2 blinks and that cycle repeats.  When I start the app, I see that blink pattern change to more frequent flashing, with 2, 3 or 4 fast blinks with a second or two of steady light.  That continues for the ~25 seconds that the app is trying to read the DVR playlist.

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by 4crawler 

Would there be any value in disconnecting the DECA ethernet connection and plugging an ethernet cable into the HR34? 

That would be worth a shot.  I usually recommend going to channel 1239 and downloading a music program as a test of the viability of connections of a DVR to the Internet.

4crawler

Ch. 1239 works fine, the Pandora and YouTube apps on the DVR work fine, so I think the DVR is connected to the internet, internet connectivity in the setup screen says all is fine.  I do have the DVR set up at a static IP address in my home network, just so I know what address it is actually at (192.168.1.64) and the PC is connected via DHCP and is typically at 192.168.1.107 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, so I know they can see each other.  DHCP server is set to reserve addresses 192.168.1.[0..99] for static use.  The two set top boxes are at xxx.65 adn xxx.66 and they can access the DVR via the whole home connection and that works perfect.  Can record, playback and delete recordings on the DVR from any location.  So I think the DVR and the remote access is all set up right.

Does anyone know if the DirecTV Cinema playlist comes from the DVR or does the directv2pc app read that from the internet directly? 

Will take me some time to get the network set up by the DVR to get it directly connected instead of the DECA connection.

4crawler

One other interesting thing I notice is that with Win8 Media I can see the DirecTV2PC Media Server (i.e. the DVR) show up in the network neighborhood.  If I double-click that and selected Recorded TV, I get the notice that there are "No items in your Recorded TV Library".  Not sure if anything is supposed to show up there, but I basically get the same message for browsing the Media Server via Explorer as I do running the directv2pc app.  The Media Server properties are correct, the IP address matches that of the DVR as does the "unique identifier" which includes the RID of the DVR. 

Not sure if DirecTV has any plans to simply support viewing and accessing the DVR via the default Windows Media Server tools.  Would save the hassle of having to install a dedicated application and having to support that across many o/s versions and platforms. 

4crawler

I loaded up directv2pc on a separate Windows 8 machine (32 bit) and I get the same empty DVR playlist.  The PC scans the net, finds the (only) DVR and even verifies the Parental control PIN off of it along with the correct free space, just no recordings at this time.  I can play DirecTV Cinema playlist times no problem.  Still need to finish up my networking modifications to allow direct connecting the DVR to the net w/o the DECA box, just to eliminate that last item.

4crawler

So one more iteration done last night.  Set up local Windows 8 (32bit) PC plugged into the same switch as the DVR, so the two ethernet cables are in adjacent plugs in the 5 port switch and still no luck with reading anything from the local DVR playlist.  And this is with the HR34/700 DVR direct connected to it's ethernet plug into the switch, so no DECA box.  All set top boxes can access and play DVR content fine, STBs and DVR can access MediaShare files off the PCs just fine.  PCs can access DirecTV Cinema files just fine.  All network setup checks on the DVR work fine, I can access the internet via YouTube, Pandora and the other media channels just fine.  I have tried all compatibility modes for the DirecTV2PC app from Windows XP/SP3 up to WIn8, regular user and administrator all with identical results.  I have left the app up and open for hours to see if it'll read the playlist over time, have tried all 4 ListBy options, have reselected the (one) DVR, have tried the app windowed and full screen, all with similar results, outside the one afternoon, when I was temporarily able to read a total of 6 recordings in the playlist. 

So any there ideas to try?

4crawler

Interesting to note that with the DVR directly connected to the ethernet switch (vs. the DECA connection), I now see the "DIRECTV HR34/700" device showing up in the Windows Network view in the "Other Devices" section.  IP address is correct in the device properties and matches that of the "DIRECTV2PC Media Server" item that shows up under the Media Devices section.  I even did a power off reset on the DVR while I had the app up and running and no change.  I still get "There are no recorded programs at this time".

Also ran the network connection test on the DVR and it reports all is OK with a result code of 88-153.  Not sure what that means.

4crawler

So things seem to be going from bad to worse.  On my 2nd PC (Win8 x32) I switched from a DVI output NVidia GE8400 graphics card (that did not report HDCP compatibility per NVidia control panel) to a GT610 w/ HDMI output that reports fill HDCP compatibility and has the latest NVidia driver loaded.  So now the Playback Advisor reports I am running the "Microsoft Basic Renderer Driver" vs. the proper GT610 card/driver, although it reports the correct driver version for the NVidia driver.  It also reports HDCP compatibility.  Yet, when I try to play Cinema playlist with the d2pc app, it says no capture protection. 

And this PC is now plugged into the same ethernet switch as the DVR (HR34/700) (both hard wired) and yet it will not show any recordings in the DVR playlist.

4crawler

OK, I think I have the player working now, at least partially. I had one series folder with approx. 90 SD shows in it. My DVR (HD34/700) was at about 8% free space, but deleted that 90 show folder and all of a sudden I can read and play back shows from the DVR. My free space is also up to 14%, so not sure if it is a total number of recordings or a maximum number in a folder issue, but seems to be working now, at least partly.

After working right one time, on subsequent runs, all folders show up but list "0 new/0 total" recordings, so can't see any series shows in some of the List By modes. It seems after the initial display, changing List By to something different works and shows series contents, however, opening the folder has all shows listed by the series title and not the episode name. So on the DVR, I see "My Name is Earl" for the folder then shows like "Stole an RV", "Joy in a Bubble", etc. On the PC, I see: "My Name is Earl" for the folder name and then 49 episodes all named "My Name Is Earl" with different recording dates/times. The viewed/new status seems to be correct.

But then I can change the List By setting to another sort and then change it back and I get the 0 new/0 total contents. So the folder listing seems to be very flaky. In fact now, I seem get 0 new/0 total on all runs and initial settings then it may take several different List By settings to find one that lists folder contents properly.

And have made no changes in the PC, operating system (Win8), graphics driver or network connection to the DVR since it would not list any recordings.  So the only change has been in the number of DVR recordings.