21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 3:35 AM by dcd RSS

CCK-W won't connect to NETGEAR wireless

cheygirl

I have tried everything I can think of but CCK will not accept wireless key.  My wireless key does not contain any special characters.  Just numbers and letters.  It is a NETGEAR router and I saw another post that said NETGEAR isn't compatible but a DirecTV person disputed that.  My CCK acts like it will connect because it takes more than 60+ seconds before it times out.

I will admit that page 11 of the installation book makes no sense because I cannot see the words in the pics.  It's the part where you determine your connection type by pressing the dash key on the remote.  I skipped that part .... poor quality pics in the book .... no clue what that's all about.

HELP!   I do not have whole home DVR. 

• Re: CCK-W won't connect to NETGEAR wireless
    dcd

Without the Whole Home DVR system, you will use the option at the top of page 11 and the instructions on page 13-14.  Make sure your router has DHCP active and has no firewall active.

Disconnect the CCK from the DVR but leave AC connected.  Press and hold the reset button for one minute.  Disconnect AC, reconnect the cables then repower the CCK.

cheygirl

I did everything you told me to do.  Still not able to connect.  It says I entered the encryption key incorrectly.  I tried calling DirectTV but the lady I spoke to could not help me.  Told me that it sounded to her like I was entering the number wrong.  Seriously?  She told me to call NETGEAR and ask them what I can do.  I researched that and found out it'll cost $40 to call NETGEAR support since I am past my 90 day warranty.

no thanks.  NETGEAR equipment works fine.  Obviously since my laptop connects just fine.

cheygirl

connecting to my router's set up:  under DHCP it says "DHCPClient"   I am unable to determine at this time if a firewall is in place.  Still looking.

peds48

Many people  aren't aware of the differences between entering security codes when the router is in WEP mode vs. WPA.  When entering security keys, if you see the 2nd field appear on the setup screen that shows 'key # (1-4)' then the router is using WEP and only hexidecimal security codes may be entered.  You can use www.wepkey.comto covert a passphase to it's hexidecimal equivalant.   With WPA you can use a passphrase and it's case sensitive.  Other notes are below:

For SSIDs The following 6 characters are not allowed: ?, ", $, [, \, ] and the following 3 characters cannot be the first character: !, #, and ;.

Apple products automatically use the apostrophe character as a prefix, so the SSID must be manually edited to remove this.

For security keys:

For Apple products using WEP:

• Find the security key by using the Airport utility. 
    • Go to the "Base Station" menu and select "Equivalent Network Password." 

For WPA passphrases, to enter words or phrases with the remote's keypad:  

1. Triple tap the number keys, like texting on a cell phone (like T9 language settings on a cell phone).

Ex: Press 2 once for the number 2, twice for the letter A, three times for B, etc.

1. Keep pressing the same key to scroll through upper to lower case.
    2. Press zero [0] for a space; press zero twice for 0.

try holding the reset button on the back of the CCK-W for 30 seconds.  then on your HDDVR press

MENU ➜ SETTINGS & HELP ➜ SETTINGS ➜ NETWORK SET UP ➜ RESTORE DEFAULTS ➜ CONNECT NOW ➜ GET CONNECTED ➜ WIRELESS.  the receiver will then scan for Wi-Fi networks and should d find yours.  once it finds your SSID, select your network name.  if your network is secured, it will ask you to type in your password.  if successful, you will get a message that says "congratulations, your receiver is connected to the internet"  Note that your SSID and/or password cannot have any spaces and/or special characters

cheygirl

Correct, my router is using WEP.  I already know the HEX equivalent.  I have selected Key1.  That is the password that my laptop and all other devices use just fine.  DirectTV is the only device unable to connect.

Does it want the passphrase I used to generate the password???

I would try it but I can't do anything right now.  It won't recognize the network at all right now.  Frustrating.

peds48

if you are using WEP, you need to enter the password in HEX form.  you can use www.wepkey.com to covert a passphrase to it's hexadecimal equivalent

cheygirl

Nevermind.  Passphrase didn't work either.  Cry

cheygirl

OK ... I'm using the HEX password.  I put my passphrase in wepkey.com and it generated the same passcodes that I see whenever I log into my router.  I KNOW MY PASSWORD.  When I try to enter it, DirectTV says "passcode incorrect."

peds48

try changing your router to WPA

cabletech

I see netgear routers used all the time.  It is the Apple routers that have the biggest problem.  Now if you only have letters and numbers, how many total are you using?  Some times if you use more then 10-12, the system will not take it.

Reduce your password to no more then 10-12 and try reconnecting your laptop and your other devices.   Do not worry about any thing else in the router.

Now do a reset as dcd stated in post #2 AND a reset of the reciever, the red behind the card door.

After both have fully rebooted, then connect the CCK into the reciever into the top port. then go to menue>network and follow the directions.

At this point, you may have to reset the receiver one more time, but this should get you to the point of connection.

tech_1438

What is the model number of the Netgear router, does it have WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)? Most newer routers do come with a WPS button. 

If your router has WPS, I would:

Restore the WiFi-CCK to factory settings by pressing and holding the restet button for ten seconds. You will need to use a paper-clip or something on the reset button.

Allow the WiFi-CCK to boot back up after restoring default settings.

Press and hold the WPS button on the Netgear router until it begins to blink (most models).

Now press the WPS button on the rear of the WiFi-CCK. If the WiFi-CCK is working correctly it should connect to the Netgear without any further user intervention.

After connection, press the dash (-) button on the remote to view connection status.

Good Luck!!

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by tech_1438 

Press and hold the WPS button on the Netgear router until it begins to blink (most models).

I would never use WPS as most of the times this creates a new network name causing you to have to re-sync all of your wireless devices.

dcd

Ditto Peds48. WPS on a Linksys router will create a lengthy SSID and password and will make ever other wireless device in your network disconnect.

cheygirl
    Before changing to WPA I'm just wondering - what will this create?  Will the network name remain the same??  What can I expect?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
    cheygirl
    By the way, my netgear router does not have any buttons.  It's model no. WGR614v9
    kaminar
    Quote:    Originally Posted by cheygirl
    Before changing to WPA I'm just wondering - what will this create? Will the network name remain the same?? What can I expect?

Depends on how originally done. If the network name was created on the router, then a reset might require you to input the name again. Changing from WEP to WPA should not affect the network name. Always a good idea to write down current configuration before factory reset. If the network name was created on your PC, the network name will remain there, and the router can search for it and begin assigning IP addresses. That's the simple explanation. In practice, there are bound to be more variables.

-=K=-

peds48
    Will the network name remain the same?? What can I expect?

Yes, you SSID or network name will remain the same, the password will change however.

cheygirl
    I'm about to change router to WPA.  Wish me luck!  I'll report back.                                                                                                                                                                                            
    cheygirl
    OMG! IT WORKED!!!!!!!  "Congratulations you have successfully connected your receiver!" WHOOHOO!!
    I can't thank you all enough for your help!!  I am so excited!!
    I changed router to WPA2. It was super easy and changing passwords on household devices was no big deal.
    Thank you all again for the help. You all are fabulous!!  :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    peds48
    OMG! IT WORKED!!!!!!! "Congratulations you have successfully connected your receiver!" WHOOHOO!!
    I can't thank you all enough for your help!! I am so excited!!
    I changed router to WPA2. It was super easy and changing passwords on household devices was no big deal.
    Thank you all again for the help. You all are fabulous!! :)

You are vey welcome.  Enjoy!

dcd

It seems that success is always sweeter if it's preceded by a bit of failure.  Congrats for sticking to it.