19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2013 2:00 PM by randycjla RSS

RC71

bndrillo

Does anyone know how to program the new RC71 for tv and stereo?

• Re: RC71
    litzdog911

That remote is designed to work with the new HR44 Genie HD DVR.  I don't think it will work with the HR34. Where did you get it???

mspoe

I received the RC71 Remote with my new HR44 Genie DVR.  This was the first time the DirecTV technician had seen it.  I called technical support to get a user's guide for the remote and stumped the support team.  It does not seem like good planning to 1) send techs in the field with no tech data on a piece of equipment, or 2) not give the customer a user's guide for it.  At least have the user guide info on your web site.

Total failure DirecTV!

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by mspoe 

I received the RC71 Remote with my new HR44 Genie DVR.  This was the first time the DirecTV technician had seen it.  I called technical support to get a user's guide for the remote and stumped the support team.  It does not seem like good planning to 1) send techs in the field with no tech data on a piece of equipment, or 2) not give the customer a user's guide for it.  At least have the user guide info on your web site.

Total failure DirecTV!

Interesting.  I didn't think HR44's were shipping to anybody yet.  

tivoburkee

Allow the hr44 to program the remote.

low10980

You got to have an HR-44 or a C-41 to program the new RC71 remotes to your tv and other audio options. Once it is all setup you have to program remote for IR or RF, then TV and then your audio option. You can use the remote in IR mode for other models and even program TV's U just have to have a list of codes.

low10980

and correction to my statement u have to have a HR44 or C41 to program remote in RF mode otherwise it works in IR mode just fine with older boxes.

cjbobkins

so does any body know how to manually program the RC71 remote  like you can do with the RC65 ones?

tivoburkee

You can't.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by cjbobkins 

so does any body know how to manually program the RC71 remote  like you can do with the RC65 ones?

As mentioned previously, this must be done via an HR44. 

It can be done as normally in IR Mode.  You just have to have the right code for that TV ie press and hold mute + Select until the led blinks twice then enter the code it worked for my Samsung TV using

Quote:    Originally Posted by litzdog911 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjbobkins 

As mentioned previously, this must be done via an HR44. 

kram160

Here's a link to the "guide". Not much there, but useful anyway.

http://www.directv.com/cms2/support/answer_center/remotes/RC71_Remote_Guide.pdf

auntiepam

kram 160, thanks very much for that link.  It was all I needed to solve my problem (changing input).  The installer said the RC71 is very new, that as far as he knows, it's only being used in central Iowa and Arizona.  I can't decide if I like it better than the old one yet.

blaze013

I am a new Direct TV subscriber and not to happy about the remote that I got. I have also gotten a new RC71 remote, the installer said it was new and was being tested now. I also want a manual or something to guide me about the functions but technical has sent me to a link for the old remotes. Still trying to get information about this remote

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by blaze013 

I am a new Direct TV subscriber and not to happy about the remote that I got. I have also gotten a new RC71 remote, the installer said it was new and was being tested now. I also want a manual or something to guide me about the functions but technical has sent me to a link for the old remotes. Still trying to get information about this remote

See the link to the RC71 remote guide in post #12 above. 

texasbrit

Anyone who gets an HR44 Genie or a C41 client will get an RC71.  On the IR side, it uses the same codes as all the other remotes and will in fact control the older boxes. But the RF is completely new, only the HR44 and C41 use the RF protocol.

The link posted by kram160 shows the layout and what the keys do.

If you go through the remote menu on the HR44 it leads you through the steps to program the HR44/RC71.

ripper
    Quote:    Originally Posted by auntiepam 

kram 160, thanks very much for that link.  It was all I needed to solve my problem (changing input).  The installer said the RC71 is very new, that as far as he knows, it's only being used in central Iowa and Arizona.  I can't decide if I like it better than the old one yet.

Just received the HR44/C41/RC71 in California...so far so good. The tech said the RC71 could not be programmed to control other devices like a DVD. Haven't tried it yet. No directions with the RC71, so the link up above was helpful.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by ****** 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auntiepam 

The tech said the RC71 could not be programmed to control other devices like a DVD. Haven't tried it yet. No directions with the RC71, so the link up above was helpful.

All the options and programing MUST be done using the HR44 remote control menu.

chight42

Actually the remote works with all previous recievers in IR mode.  It only works in RF mode with the HR 44 and 41 client.  You CAN program the remote using the old recievers by going through their menu to remote and using the codes.  You just can't due the 960 trick and channel up through codes.

randycjla

I searched for hours on how to correctly program this remote to work with my TV and after messing around with it in frustration I found the correct way to program it to your TV. First, have your Genie Mini receiver connected and powered on. Next, grab your RC71 remote and simultaneously hold the "MUTE" + "ENTER" buttons until you see a box appear on your TV screen that says "Applying IR/RF Setup. Please Wait" (this appears after about 5 seconds of holding those buttons). Once complete another dialog box will appear and read, "Your remote is now setup for RF." Click "SELECT" to exit that screen. Next, click the "MENU" button, scroll down to "Settings & Help", then click on "Settings", scroll down to and click on "Remote Control", then click "Program Remote". Next you will have two options, either "Program TV" or "Program Audio Device". Click "Program TV", this takes you to a screen where you need to select what BRAND your TV is. After you have selected your TV brand you will have to select the TV Model ( I recommend looking at the sticker on the back of your TV for the accurate Model number or using your current TV remote to find the model number from the menu screen on your TV for fastest and best results). Once the correct model number is selected, AIM your RC71 remote at the TV and it will AUTOMATICALLY program!

This is the easiest, fastest and only correct way I have seen throughout the internet and support forums!

Your welcome lol