13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2013 2:15 PM by texasbrit RSS

No sound from TV to home theater system.

mack_okc

I've just changed from Cox Cable to DirecTV and have the Whole Home system.  I have an R34 DVR and three C31 client boxes.  I have a surround system connected to TV coming off the R34 and have no problems with getting sound or setting volume lock.

However, I have the same setup coming off one of the C31's and I get no sound and no volume lock.  Remote control settings routine sees the surround system, but does not allow me to select it.  While on Cox I had no problems.  I have some experience troubleshooting and have verified that sound system is working properly, that cables are OK, and that TV is putting out audio when connected to a DVD player.  I have even swapped out the C31 with one of the others and no luck.

The ONLY difference in my setup is that my Cox Cable box was replaced with the C31.

Had a DirecTV technician come out and called DirecTV hotline and have been getting conflicting advice and excuses and a general run around ever since.  Logic and reason would suggest that the problem is being caused by something in the C31 boxes.  Please advise.  At wits end and considering going back to Cox.

• Re: No sound from TV to home theater system.
    litzdog911

How exactly is the C31's Audio OUT connected to your TV?  Or is it connected to your Surround Sound Receiver/Amp?   

Note that if you're connecting the TV's Audio OUT to your Surround System, you might not get audio because most HDTVs can't pass DD5.1 audio from their Audio OUT.   In that case you need to connect the C31's Audio OUT directly to your Surround System.   

mack_okc

I tried connecting the C31's Audio OUT directly to the Surround System as part of my troubleshooting routine.  No help.  The problem I have is not whether I'm getting a particular kind of sound, but any sound at all.  My configuration is HDMI cable from C31 to TV and optical digital cable from TV to Surround System.  This setup worked perfectly with the Cox System as stated earlier.  I have also tried different HDMI cables, connecting the TV to the Surround System using the red-white RCA cable, and connecting the C31 to the TV's RCA connector as suggested by the on site technician.  All no help.  His conclusion is that it doesn't work because the C31 is a client box and the HR34 is a DVR that drives the C31.  Huh?????

Is there some way that DirecTV can disable the TV's output due to pirating concerns?  I'm grasping at straws I admit.

litzdog911

Interesting.  Forget about the Surround System for a minute. With the C31's HDMI OUT connected directly to the TV's HDMI IN, do you get audio?

mack_okc

Only on the TV speakers.  TV via HDMI from C31, sound on TV.  Surround System via Optical Cable from TV, no sound on Surround System.

dcd

Mack,  I understand that you're frustrated, but here is a truism.  We see thousands of "no audio" posts over time and in 99% of the cases it is either a setup problem or a problem with settings in the sound system.  The HR34 Genie and the C31 client, like all the other Directv set top boxes basically have a Dolby on off setting and that's the sum of it, there are no other audio settings.

As to your specific problem.  You have it connected improperly.  The audio out on the TV is not intended for the use you're putting it to.  What you need is a digital to optical converter connected to the C31 Client and an optical cable from there to your AVR amplifier. You alsdo need to mute your TV's speakers.  That's assuming the AVR doesn't have a HDMI input.

litzdog911

If you're getting audio from the C31 via the TV's speakers, then the problem is your TV's digital audio output to the AV Surround System.  dcd's advice is spot on. 

texasbrit

Yes, the audio out on most TVs will not carry Dolby Digital if the input to the TV is HDMI. That means if you set the A/V receiver input to Dolby Digital, you will get no audio at all from the input from the TV when you are watching a DirecTV channel.

mack_okc

Dear TKGs,

First, you guys need to read my post in its entirety before giving "canned" answers.  As I stated, the setup is IDENTICAL to the setup I had with Cox with one exception -- the C31 box.  If I was getting Dolby thru the audio out on the TV with Cox, then reason and logicwould dictate that I had it connected correctly.  My surround system is a Bose CineMate Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System and it is designed SPECIFICALLY to connect to TV audio out.  There are no settings to adjust and the remote only has on/off, volume control and mute.  There are two inputs -- optical digital and red/white.

Now for what has happened since my last reply.  On Sunday, two Directv field techs came by and duplicated my troubleshooting steps -- good form on their part -- and determined that there is indeed a problem with Directv.  The HR34 is not pushing the digital part of the audio across the HDMI cable from the C31 to the TV.  They were able to give me a work-a-round by installing a 10 pin to composite cable between the C31 and the TV and I have an appointment for Tuesday to have a diagnostic run on the HR34.  By the way, kudos go out to Mario and Chris here in OKC for their excellent work.

Lastly, as I stated in my original post, I have good troubleshooting skills.  I was a programmer for over 25 years and worked in electronics for ten years before that (radar, auto-pilot, navigation, etc.).  I'm assuming you are told to never admit that Directv could be at fault, but putting out "canned" answers will only work on someone less knowledgeable and makes you look foolish.  The "solutions" you provided others with similar problems are actually work-a-rounds and not solutions.  Learn a little humility and it will serve you well in the future.  The two techs here in OKC, Mario and Chris, saved this account for Directv.

Sincerely, mack_okc.

peds48

WOW!!!

texasbrit

Sorry you feel that way. What TV do you have? We can probably tell you if the TV had DD on optical out, but you should know very few TVs do have that. The output from virtually all TVs is NOT DD, it may come up on the A/V receiver as Dolby Pro Logic but that is only PCM stereo. You should also know it's virtually impossible for the HR34 not to output DD to the C31, also that the 10-pin composite cable does not support DD either. So there are all sorts of unanswered questions. if you want them answered, post back. If you don't  that's up to you. There are lots of other people we can help.

dcd

WOW indeed.

kaminar
    Quote:    Originally Posted by mack_okc 

The ONLY difference in my setup is that my Cox Cable box was replaced with the C31.

Just a suggestion: Is there any way to verify the Cox Cable box was pushing DD5.1? If only passing DD2.0/PCM/stereo, might not have the same issues.

-=K=-

texasbrit

Hence the reason for my question. The OP insists his TV outputs DD 5.1 when the input signal is over HDMI.  I pointed out that is very rare, there are only a few TVs that will do it. But the OP for some reason does not want to tell us what model TV he has. This problem almost always turns out to be a misunderstanding about the way the TV handles DD 5.1, and the difference between DD and Dolby ProLogic. It might not be, there might be a hardware issue somewhere. But since we can't get the info, it's impossible to move forward.