9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 3:51 PM by peds48 RSS

How many HR34/Genies can I have?

landman2k1

Can I have 2 in the same network giving me 10 tuners? Then run 3 clients? Thanks for the help.

• Re: How many HR34/Genies can I have?
    litzdog911

Currently DirecTV will only authorize one Genie HD DVR per account.  

dcd

If you get a Genie, plus a HD DVR and two Clients, it will give you a lot of flexibility.

texasbrit

One genie per account.

I know that there are a handful of people, mainly in the testing team, running two genies on a single account, and there are several technical issues that would need to be ironed out before multiple genies could be allowed, assuming DirecTV actually wants to make this happen.

landman2k1

Thanks for the help guys.  Trying to get out of TWC, but can't seem to find a better option.  There are a few nights of the week where 5 streams just won't work.  Wife, 2 kids and mother in law make it tough during prime time.

@dcd - with the setup you speak of, can the HD DVR "see" the Genie and vice versa? 

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by landman2k1 

@dcd - with the setup you speak of, can the HD DVR "see" the Genie and vice versa? 

Yes

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by landman2k1 

Thanks for the help guys.  Trying to get out of TWC, but can't seem to find a better option.  There are a few nights of the week where 5 streams just won't work.  Wife, 2 kids and mother in law make it tough during prime time.

I don't have the MIL issue, but do have the kid and here's how I manage it.  The Genie belongs to Mom and I, you can watch it but no recording or deleting allowed.  On weekends during prime time there are two hour long time slots where all 5 tuners are busy.  The boy uses his HD DVR and does his thing and he basically never bothers us.  I would say the Genie will record everything you'd want and more than you can watch.

debhorwath

my daughter and son have there own hd dvrs in there bedrooms. then we have the genie in our livingroom, with 2 clients, one in the mastrbedroom and one guest room/office. our kids get to have there own dvrs, that they can record all there own shows onto and delete themselfs. then the genie, is the parents. were actully able to record 9 shows at one time with this (although we havent yet, and weve had it for 6 months  now) and the kids playlists are shared with ours and vise versa. so the kids can watch stuff in the livingroom if they want off our there playlists since there shared. my bill is pretty inexpensive, compaired to when i had just ONE standared DVR with time warner, and i have the premier package. then, if they end up allowing coustmers to have 2 genies per account, you could just upgrade. hope this helps you. i was with time warner for a lot of years, and im WAY more happy with directv.

fxnbonz
    Are there any plans to expand the PIP feature to other receivers? That is the only reason I would like to have 2 genies!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by fxnbonz 
    Are there any plans to expand the PIP feature to other receivers? That is the only reason I would like to have 2 genies!

most likely no.