5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2013 3:10 PM by ladoddle RSS

Range for Genie to mini client

ladoddle

What is the maximum distance between the Genie DVR and the mini client?  Do they communicate over my home wifi?

• Re: Range for Genie to mini client
    dcd

They communicate through the coax cable connected to each and the SWM dish.  How far apart did you want to install these units?  They have plenty of range for location anywhere in the average home.

ladoddle

So, each mini client requires a wired coax connection (home run) back to the dish?  How do I know if I have a SWM dish?  I am considering an installation where the Genie would be inside the house and a mini client located approx 120+/- feet away in a boathouse.  Currently there is no coax run from the dish to the boathouse.  If the mini requires a coax cable, and I go to that effort, then what is the advantage (features/cost)  of using a mini versus a full DVR?

kaminar

If you have the Genie, you must have SWiM (it's included)..i think dcdmeant the Genie Mini is wired in-line with the Genie (Single Wire Multi-switch)..they do not communicate over wifi. RG6 (SCC) is used for the typical install and 120ft is within limits (although it is near the max distance recommended by DirecTV). When you get much beyond that distance, RG11 is recommended.

The only advantage of the Genie Mini client vs. DVR is price (usually cheaper than SDDVR or HDDVR)..SD-DVR cannot share/access recordings with Genie, but HD-DVR and Genie Mini can. For outside runs, trenching (and sometimes conduit) is recommended.

Best to include which receivers you currently have. If none, then DirecTV will include the correct dish with install..the tech can do the cabling to your boathouse, but there may be an additional cost beyond typical install. Keep in mind, for new orders, must be all HD or SD..there is no mixing.

TechKnow Guides and installer/tech experts can also troubleshoot.

Hope this helps!

-=K=-

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by ladoddle

So, each mini client requires a wired coax connection (home run) back to the dish? How do I know if I have a SWM dish? I am considering an installation where the Genie would be inside the house and a mini client located approx 120+/- feet away in a boathouse. Currently there is no coax run from the dish to the boathouse. If the mini requires a coax cable, and I go to that effort, then what is the advantage (features/cost) of using a mini versus a full DVR?

A single coax from the dish connects to a splitter and the home runs to each box originates from the splitter. If you want the whole home DVR system, or specifically a Genie, then a single wire SWM dish is required. The big advantage to the Client is it's ability to "manage" the Genie whereas a HD DVR cannot do any managing of the Genie at all but it can play all of the recordings on the Genie.

If the boathouse is used by you weekends etc then I'd get a Client.  If someone lives in the boathouse than I'd get a HD DVR.

ladoddle

Thanks everyone for the great info!