6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 3:40 AM by dcd RSS

DirectV Lies about signal lose in snow and rain - Searching for signal (771)

csommer

Prior to signing up for DirectV I was told that the signal would not go out like it did years ago during rain or snow.  Well every time we get snow it goes out.  And the same for rain.  Not every channel goes out every time but almost all.  This is ridiculous. 

As you can see I am very upset.  I have notified them of this problem several times.  I am about to terminate service and switch to cable or uverse.  

• Re: DirectV Lies about signal lose in snow and rain - Searching for signal (771)
    litzdog911

Only very heavy snow or rain should affect your reception, provided your dish is optimally aligned.  Dish misalignment can cause signal disruption with even mild weather.  

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners. 

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

17-24  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x

9-16   NA  x   NA  x   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

9-16   x   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

• Re: DirectV Lies about signal lose in snow and rain - Searching for signal (771)
    gvbill

CSOMMER - I know exactly what you are experiencing, and I live in Grass Valley, Ca. at 3000ft elevation. I have had loss of signal both SD and HD, but HD loss is worse. I had a tech come out and 'align' the dish to receive both SD and HD satellites and he also checked signal strengths of each satellite. He blessed it and left. Next heavy rain and snow storms, you guessed it, loss of HD signals altogether and most SD was effected. I have to go out every time this happens and brush off the layer of snow that sccumulates on the dish. Then no problems until the next snow fall. Someone said I could put a sheet of plastic to cover the dish to prevent snow accumulation. Another tech said I could go out and spray a thin layer of PAM spray on the dish surface which would let the snow slip off of the dish, when it snowed. But I still have the problem during heavy rain and falling snow, expecially on HD channels. I know of no know fix from DirecTV. I also am looking into going back to our previous cable provider.

As for litzdog911's suggestions of trying to capture signal strengths as noted, I surprisec at this kind of responce. Much better to have said to call DirecTV and send out a tech who could do exactly as described in less time it took to form the reply to you.

I know it's not much of a comfort, but you are not alone. Good luck.

ooreikaoo

NEVER EVER SPRAY PAM ON THE DISH!!!

That used to be a thing representatives told customers, until they found out IT FRYS THE DISH!

Very very bad month lol.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by gvbill 

..... Another tech said I could go out and spray a thin layer of PAM spray on the dish surface which would let the snow slip off of the dish, when it snowed.....

As for litzdog911's suggestions of trying to capture signal strengths as noted, I surprisec at this kind of responce. Much better to have said to call DirecTV and send out a tech who could do exactly as described in less time it took to form the reply to you.

Never spray Pam on a satellite dish.  It will stain and look horrible.  

I always ask for signal readings before recommending a service visit. Those readings can provide us with valuable clues about the problem.  And, unless the customer has DirecTV's Equipment Protection Plan, the service visit costs $50.  

peds48

The OP or any costumer  can always call DirecTV at any point.  BUT, wasn't the reason the posted here to get advice?…….

dcd

Wouldn't it be prudent to know if your dish is out of alignment before calling for a Tech and spending the service fee plus the day off waiting for him to show up? We often recommend a tech visit, but usually like to determine if that is the best course of action first.

Of course the original poster has yet to respond so maybe they aren't too interested in a system analysis.