24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2014 6:14 AM by joed32 RSS

How do I get netflix

jaymak

Tried Direct's movie thing and found it too complicated as in some movies are free, some aren't, and you have to search forever. I would like to connect to netflix as I do on my two computers. Since I have a supposedly "smart TV" Samsung how can I go directly to internet seeing as installers have me connected to pandora, youtube, etc.

• Re: How do I get netflix
    peds48

You  cannot get Netflix on DirecTV equipment, Netflix is DirecTV's competitor.  if your smart TV is connected to to the internet, download the app from your TV's "app store"

texasbrit

Yes, netflix is available through Samsung's "smart hub".

jaymak

Just a quick question, since I have a Samsung HD due to my CRT finally caving in, I'm a little at odds with what a "smart hub" is? I know the Direct guys put wiring into my computer modem and I can access youtube and all that other stuff, but not sure how to find this smart hub.

litzdog911

You would need to connect your Samsung HDTV to your home network for internet access. Then you can access Netflix and other internet services directly from the TV.  It has nothing to do with your DirecTV equipment. 

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jaymak 

but not sure how to find this smart hub.

the "smart hub" if your TV has one, is a feature in your TV, NOT on the DirecTV receiver.  most newer Samsung TVs have Wi-Fi built in, while others need a Wi-Fi dongle to get online.  check your TV manual for more info

jaymak

My Samsung is less than 3 months old so it must have smart hub. Thanks, will try to find it.

drago

Should be a "Smart Hub" or "Smart XXX" button on your Samsung remote somewhere. And as was mention previously, the TV has to be Internet connected already (usually wireless).

joed32

You do it exactly the same way as you did with your computers, go to their site and add your TV as a device to your Netflix account.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
    roostertail

Question gentlemen, same topic....

What if i bought a blue ray player with wi-fi  built into it, instead of a Dongle or Chrome Cast?

Also, I asume that any TV in which you would want to watch Netflix on would need to either be Smart, have a Dongle type device or connected to a smart Dvd or blue ray player... Would I be correct?

peds48

There are tons of ways to get Netflix to your TV screen nowadays.  you can buy an "smart" TV, you can buy "streaming boxes" such as Apple TV, Roku, etc, you can connect your smartphone to your TV using the appropriate hardware, you can use Gaming Consoles and the list goes on and on....

roostertail

I like the smart phone idea. So if one did not have wi-fi in or conected to the TV as an external device. Could a smart phone be in connection with with the TV via hardwire, firewire or mini usb to a HDMI port? I have a Dynex which I believe is low end LG TV,, I do see a one standard USB port but it does say service port coverd by a rubber hatch. 

Buler ?Buler ?

roostertail

of coarse the smart phone wi-fi would connect to your hub, airport, wireless router, etc.... would that be possible?

litzdog911

Your Smartphone's WiFi connection has nothing to do with your TV or DirecTV equipment.  It simply connects to your home's WiFi network to establish its connection for Netflix streaming.   Then you need to connect the Smartphone's Audio/Video OUT to your HDTV if you want to view the movie on your TV.

roostertail

What are the type of cable options for lets say a samsung galaxy note 2 ??

Would you have a better picture if you could plug into the HDTV with a HDMI or USB port vs. RCA  jacks.???  Where would Radio Shack carry the adaptors needed?????

litzdog911

You should probably check your Galaxy's owner's manual, or Samsung's web site.  I know that Apple sells HDMI interface cables for the iPhone/iPad/iPod that connects up to an HDTV's HDMI port.  Works great.  I assume Samsung provides something similar.   Radio Shack or Best Buy can probably help you.

roostertail

Radio Shack : Man they need to hire knowledgable people. Anyway,, After all the Im not sure and convincing them to let me open boxes and play with their TV's,   this is what get using the (Smart phone direct wired to HDTV)

You can purchase a :  MHL adapter (mobile high definition link) device, one end plugs into a regular HDMI cable which gets connected to the HDTV's HDMI port.

The smart end of the device connects to a  smartphone // tablet  via, micro 5 pin -  micro 11 pin adapter. The unit is then separately powered by another mini usb to wall outlet charger. Claims to offer 1080p resolution along with digital sound.

I think it is really touchy to handle and long term durability seems nil.

Blurry on screen where tasks would appear on phone. Just not the quality for the price I was looking for. $39.99 for MHL adaptor and still need to power it with a charging device, another $20.00, would buy you the mid price range Roku or a Blueray player with built in Wi-Fi......

Mission Fail.....

jcat

since you have a smart tv you should have a wifi capable TV. with my smart tv's I go to the menu of the tv internet connections and type in the password for my wifi network. then hit the connection test and if you get 2meg or more in download speed you can then download the internet apps that are available to receive netflix and many other apps.....

ALSO WITH THIS DONE YOUR TV WILL UPDATE ITS FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE. you have a computer tv if it is a smart tv !

follow the instructions that came with your smart tv. have your password and internet wifi name as you do this..

I have WIFI / OTA / and DTV all on all my smart tv;s.... then you do not have to depend only on DTV therefore you will find much less need for all that DTV has to offer. save few dollars / month..

DTV has nothing to do with internet WiFi service. this would be the DSL/fios/comcast or other internet provider. check with them if they did not tell you what your password is ...if you do not have any wifi then you should have them install it. then all your smart tv will be netflix capable thru out your home.with NO WIRES !

scpscottypitts

As it is my set-up at home, I feel it is the easiest and most beneficial to install a video card in one of your PC's and ensure that the new card has a HDMI output. Once you hook your PC to your TV with an HDMI cable you will be able to do much more than simply watch Netfix, you will be able to watch almost any streaming service there is, Browse the internet, Listen to your music, watch a DVD/Blue Ray or even play games. ADD in a wireless keyboard and mouse or both together and you can do all of this from the comfort of your couch. Does you TV have PIP?, if so when your watching TV you can look up player stats or get more in depth information on the News topic that is being discussed. For all these reasons and more I say get the most out of your money and spend it where it counts.

jcat

what type of PC power do you have ? like processor,operating system,memory ?

the video card your using what is the manufacturer/model # ?

If you record video what software do you use ?

thanks ..

scpscottypitts

Believe it or not, I actually am currently using an old Dell Dimension 4600 with a RAM upgrade of 2 GB (2048 MB), 2.8 GHz P4, and came stock with "NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X", The BIOS has been updated and tweaked and the case has been cut-up in order to add fans and more ventilation. The OS is Win7 Ultimate.with the majority of things disabled.

A FEW IMPORTANT POINTS:

1.The original purchase price was about 15 dollars from a thrift store because my wife also uses this PC for facebook games and other things. So, IF you do your due diligence, YOU MAY BE LUCKY ENOUGH to get a "throw away PC" for cheap.

2. All of the modifications are simple FROM MY EXPERIENCE, be sure to plan everything out to ensure you are capable of everything needed.

3. Heat is BAD, a P4 is capable, but will be hot, so be ready to address this problem.

4. Use dual drives: This PC should not matter to you, so run your OS off of one and save Files on another.

5. I have said many different ways that this PC does not matter because many of video sites that have movies and TV shows for free also have damaging software.

6. Install antivirus, but expect that not everything will be stopped, or your wife may say yes to harmful downloads when you are not around.

7. Finally, do everything you can do yourself, Have fun with it and don't put too much money or stress into it because this should be a toy. I say all of these things, because if you have to ask about my system I assume that you skill level will be basic to intermediate and at that point I would not recommend building a serious system OR messing with Linux on any level until you have more experience.

That's My Factor Tip of The Day. LOL

jcat

my guess is the original poster fixed the netflix issue when he found that his 3 month old tv had the ability to display it.

I have a XP prof. P4  computer . this is never on the internet has fans on the HD's with a big heat sink... all total it has 6 fans mounted on it..also a 450watt power supply to drive all these ..

depends on you home how much dust you have but you must open up the desktop and blow out the heat sinks/fans because it is just like a air purifier ... heat is a problem when working on video ..

kilowatt76

The easiest thing to do is buy AppleTV!