14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 8:11 PM by austinq RSS

Consolidated Known Issues

austinq

Just switched to Directv - Genie 3 Clients and HR24.  I waited to switch from Time Warner basis issues I read on this Forum regarding firmware issues with the Genie and clients.  It would be extremely helpful if someone could highlight to me where on this Forum there is a running chronological list of the known issues with the Directv software/hardware independent of each users configuration.

I appreciate the comments that you should start your own post because each system is individually configured etc etc. However, there seems to be many individual strings that embed something important along the lines of .."oh yea the Watch Now thing is a bit of a gimmick"

So like on another thread I am spending hours of my time believing I may have a problem when I receive a message "Internet connection speed does not support Instant playback"..only to sift through other Forum notes and discover that yes this is a problem for a number of users (all with blazing download speed and no history of any ISP or other issues)

So I provide the specs like everyone else did on the thread, do the reset, call Technical assistance again and again while everyone in the house complains... surely a quick link that would highlight the latest firmware issues would save me the time and aggravation?

And finally, I adopted Directv accepting there would be issues

• Re: Consolidated Known Issues
    litzdog911

You won't find a list like that anywhere.   Nice idea, though. 

dcd

Note that since the last set of HD software updates the forums have been very quiet which tells me the list of issues is small as well.

austinq
    I appreciate it should be getting better. As for my problem, I notice recent (April) comments with the same exact issue. Any insight on the Internet connection speed problem and the video buffering on VoD? Please do not respond that it depends on my specific configuration. It really doesn't. Mine is the same as other users - 30+Mbps down, everything working and connected properly, resets done etc etc. Has there been a common thread on how this issue was resolved by others?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    ooreikaoo

Theres been a dramatic drop in known issues , though there are some, as of right now the HR34 + client system is actually stable again.

Most of the known issues right now as far as Ive seen are pretty minor stuff

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by austinq 
    I appreciate it should be getting better. As for my problem, I notice recent (April) comments with the same exact issue. Any insight on the Internet connection speed problem and the video buffering on VoD? Please do not respond that it depends on my specific configuration. It really doesn't. Mine is the same as other users - 30+Mbps down, everything working and connected properly, resets done etc etc. Has there been a common thread on how this issue was resolved by others?

It's not been a very common issue.  I've noticed no obvious "common theme".  Sorry.  

peds48
     Any insight on the Internet connection speed problem and the video buffering on VoD? Please do not respond that it depends on my specific configuration. It really doesn't. 

It really does depends on your ISP configuration.  In order to get  the "watch now" function to work as it was intended, you need a STEADY 7 to 8Mbps  at least and it must be constant.  Realize that cable  connection tends to be "bursty" and a lot depends on how much bandwidth is available in your "pipeline" since cable connection bandwidth is shared within your neighborhood.

austinq

Thanks for the responses.  I tested again tonight and followed a previous post that suggested going to List and then watching the program rather stay in the Watch Now mode.  I also started the download 15 minutes before-hand.  I did not experience any buffering issues after I went to List. 

I believe the issue remains one related to the Directv Cinema Connection kit.

I have 50 Mbps of "non-bursty" internet.  I can download instantaneously to Apply TV.  I can also download to any computer and device in the house without buffering even at peak usage times.  Yet after 15 minutes using Directv VoD the 60 minute show had still only downloaded 30%.

I was advised by my Tech on install that Directv knows there are problems with the Cinema Connection Kits (both wired and wireless).  He said at the time that I should just pull it out and not use it if I experience problems...mmm not the solution I expect for the price I am paying.

Everything else works great.  Picture quality is so superior to Time Warner.  Recording of shows seems to be working fine.  Whole home seems to be functioning well.  I just would prefer not to watch VoD on my Ipad instead of my big screen TV. 

Anyway, perhaps I have found a work around but a very sub-optimal one.  I will continue to monitor the Forums for any other insights.

west99999tech

30% of a 60 minute show in 15 minutes is actually good and there would be no problem with watch now.  The message that your speed doesn't support the watch now feature is where I think the software has problems its the initial speed check is done and not accurate. 

austinq
    Certainly it seems that the Directv VoD is not comparable to Apple TV download speeds and downloads to laptops and IPads etc. interestingly, I can use the Directv Ipad app to watch VoD without any issues so again I maintain it is likely a hardware issue.   Agree the message regarding Internet speeds is frustratingly inaccurate. And an issue mentioned in other posts.
    My original point here was it would be nice if these issues that are more general reside in a Forum "sticky."
    And finally I would like to suggest that someone with connections at Directv make a recommendation that the Technical help people are required as part of their job to actually read these Forums. I haven't been told the same thing twice when i have called in and had many well intentioned people waste my time through sheer ignorance.
    litzdog911
    My original point here was it would be nice if these issues that are more general reside in a Forum "sticky."
    And finally I would like to suggest that someone with connections at Directv make a recommendation that the Technical help people are required as part of their job to actually read these Forums. I haven't been told the same thing twice when i have called in and had many well intentioned people waste my time through sheer ignorance.

Neither of these suggestions is likely to happen.   

dcd
    Certainly it seems that the Directv VoD is not comparable to Apple TV download speeds and downloads to laptops and IPads etc. interestingly, I can use the Directv Ipad app to watch VoD without any issues so again I maintain it is likely a hardware issue. Agree the message regarding Internet speeds is frustratingly inaccurate. And an issue mentioned in other posts.

You are misunderstanding the system and looking for a problem where none exists.  Directv VOD is downloaded in full 720p, 1080i or 1080p resolution depending on the resolution of the program.  This has no bearing whatever on the other video sources you mention.  Under the best of conditions a Directv VOD will download at about 120% of the playback speed.

As to your installation, I personally would never use the wireless CCK.  The DECA BB setup is far better and easy to install.

austinq

dcd

I may be misunderstanding the system. That is the reason I came to the Forum. However, let me highlight a few things as you seem to misunderstand why I see this is a Directv issue.

I have a wired CCK.

I have 50 Mbps download speed.

I want to watch a video.

I download from Directv's VoD and it gives me a message my Internet Connection speed is inadequate. The video buffers and freezes.

So what are my other baselines or point of references to compare?

1. I have Apple TV - instant download and never buffers.

2. Laptop - Netflix - same thing

3. Ipad - Directv app - no problem (yes isn't that frustrating?)

4. Prior to Directv, I had Time Warner - VoD never a problem

Someone helpfully pointed out the Screen Message is basically misleading.  Someone else also pointed out that you should start the download earlier than the instant you want to watch and maybe watch via List rather than Watch Now.  Very helpful.

So perhaps you are right - this may not be a problem.  This may just be how it works.  BUT as a new user I would like to have been told that previously and certainly before wasted hours of my time on the phone to the Technical help people who do not seem to have a grasp of this issue.  Understand that this may be how it works on Directv but for VoD they better get it working better or they will simply lose business to these other competitors.

peds48

1. Apple TV streams if you rent.  is a download if you buy it, but most of the time movies are 720p

2. Netflix streams 

3. DirecTV Ipad app streams

4. Cable VOD streams

5. DirecTV VOD downloads.

there is the difference!

austinq

Bingo....thank you. Something very basic of which I was unaware. Still remains an issue that most uniformed people like me only know which is "quicker" and less "problematical". Appreciate everyone's input and posts.

Directv is still infinitely better than Time Warner and Dish...glad there is a place to get some answers. Thanks again....think we can rule this one off.