6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2013 11:10 AM by ssaslow RSS

not accepting security key

ssaslow

My Directv HD21 DVR is a whole home DVR with the DirecTV Cinema connection. When the installer first connected it he had trouble getting the adapter to accept the security key for my home network... He finally got it now by DirecTV is not connecting to the internet again and I went through the network setup again and it won't accept my home network security key again. I re-confirmed a few times that the password is correct and no other devices have a problem connecting to it...

The Whole Home DVR works on both receivers and I can schedule recording from an app or computer but no internet connection.

Any ideas how to fix this? Is there any real reason to have it connected to the internet if the whole home works and I can schedule recordings? Do I need internet connection for my NFL Sunday ticket to work?

• Re: not accepting security key
    peds48

You dont need internet for NFL nor WHDVR.  However, loosing the internet means no more On Demand and Pandora and the other "connected" features available now and the ones to come.

try holding the reset button on the back of the CCK-W for 30 seconds.  then on your HDDVR press

MENU ➜ SETTINGS & HELP ➜ SETTINGS ➜ NETWORK SET UP ➜ RESTORE DEFAULTS ➜ CONNECT NOW ➜ GET CONNECTED ➜ WIRELESS.  the receiver will then scan for Wi-Fi networks and should d find yours.  once it finds your SSID, select your network name.  if your network is secured, it will ask you to type in your password.  if successful, you will get a message that says "congratulations, your receiver is connected to the internet"  Note that your SSID and/or password cannot have any spaces and/or special characters

ssaslow

Tried that.. still coildn't verify the security key. I have confirmed the key is right and every other device in the house works...

peds48

Many people  aren't aware of the differences between entering security codes when the router is in WEP mode vs. WPA.  When entering security keys, if you see the 2nd field appear on the setup screen that shows 'key # (1-4)' then the router is using WEP and only hexidecimal security codes may be entered.  You can use www.wepkey.comto covert a passphase to it's hexidecimal equivalant.   With WPA you can use a passphrase and it's case sensitive.  Other notes are below:

For SSIDs The following 6 characters are not allowed: ?, ", $, [, \, ] and the following 3 characters cannot be the first character: !, #, and ;.

Apple products automatically use the apostrophe character as a prefix, so the SSID must be manually edited to remove this.

For security keys:

For Apple products using WEP:

• Find the security key by using the Airport utility. 
    • Go to the "Base Station" menu and select "Equivalent Network Password." 

For WPA passphrases, to enter words or phrases with the remote's keypad:  

1. Triple tap the number keys, like texting on a cell phone (like T9 language settings on a cell phone).

Ex: Press 2 once for the number 2, twice for the letter A, three times for B, etc.

1. Keep pressing the same key to scroll through upper to lower case.

ssaslow

Thanks. I have WPA setup and it starts with a letter and has two numbers in the middle of the password but no special characters. I know the password is right and works with every other device. I made sure it was put in properly.

What's interesting is I noticed this afternoon that the Lan light came on and I was able to get on the internet through DirecTV. Than an hour or so later the light was off again and I was back to not getting on the internet?

Any idea what the problem is when all other devices connect with no problem? Could it be the CCK-W unit itself?

peds48

Since you have WHDVR, make sure that you are ONLY connecting the CCK-W via the coaxial cable and NOT ethernet.  The coax from the SWM splitter connects to the CCK-W "towards LNB" port.  the "to receiver" port connects to your DECA Home Adapter which in turn connects to the HR21 SWM satellite input.  The DECA also connect to the HR21 ethernet port via a short ethernet cable.

is this how yours is connected?

ssaslow

Yes that is the way it is connected. The coax going into the towards LNB port of the CCK-W is the cable coming into the house from the dish right? The sat recv input of the CCK-W goes to the towards LNB end of the Home adapter. The home adapter connects on the other side to the receiver with a short cable and short ethernet cable...

What is weird when I flipped the cables on the CCK-W the LAN lit up but I had no home network connection. When I flipped them back to the correct connection I lost the Lan light got the home network back but lost internet connection again..

I do appreciate all your help any more ideas?