14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2014 5:48 PM by hoffnerc RSS

DCCK will NOT connect with new router!!!!

dustoffmedic

I got a new D-Link 2750B router from Verizon a few days ago as my old Westell 7500 went belly up. My DCCK worked flawlessly with the old router, as do all my other wireless connections with the new one. However, the DCCK WILL NOT connect with my network now, no matter what I reset, unplug, disconnect, or threaten with mayhem. I've spent over 5 hours on the phone with 3 different DTV techs, two of whom were absolutely clueless. I've entered my SSID and secure passcode dozens of times to no avail. My router is properly configured -- DHCP, no MAC filtering, etc. -- and I've rebooted it multiple times. I used WPS, which works with all my other wireless devices -- nothing, even though the green light on the DCCK goes to solid.  I tried unplugging the SWM, disconnecting all my receivers ( 2 DVRs/ 1 HD receiver ), resetting all. Nothing works. I lost my Whole Home setup until I unplugged everything but that came back. I tried to set up a visit by a DTV tech but they asked to cancel it due to some spurious "weather" excuse. So, I removed the DCCK completely until Somebody can tell all of us in the same boat what to do that'll work.

• Re: DCCK will NOT connect with new router!!!!
    dustoffmedic

I'm going to add to my above comment, even if it ruffles some feathers. Obviously, hundreds if not thousands of us are having these DCCK problems, and also obviously -- DirecTV doesn't seem to give a rat's a** since they got their cash up front. All these so-called "solutions" -- the unplugging, resetting, reconfiguring, etc.,etc., etc. aren't working for most of us or we wouldn't be here complaining and trying to get it resolved! If the "techs" don't bother to read these forums, why are we here? Numerous phone calls , at least by me, have produced no resolution as the people on the line seemingly are  just reading a script and have no clue. We ALREADY KNOW how to access the Menu/settings/ etc. We're not stupid, yet they try to lead us like little children through the simplest of steps, resulting in a high frustration level.  Even the e-mail replies from DTV are condescending to say the least. Trust me, if Comcast wasn't even worse on "customer service", I'd go back. My next option is throwing DTV out of the house and trying an antenna. Maybe I won't get all those fancy channels, but........ who really needs 250 channels anyway? And if you have a nice DVD collection, as I have , you can spend time catching up.

There ----- end of rant. For now.

dcd

Whenever you change routers, the CCK adapter and all of the HD receivers and DVR's continue looking for the old router.  The trick is to clear all the old settings so the various devices will seek a new connection, the new router.  Resetting a receiver does not clear the old network settings but a power offreset will cause it to seek a connection and if the link to the router is available via the CCK, the receiver will configure to the new router.

If you disconnect the CCK from the coax feed and go to each receiver's network setup and do a "restore defaults" it should clear the old settings, then disconnect AC power from that box.  When you get to the DVR you have the CCK connected to reset the CCK and hold the button for a minimum of 30 seconds.  You should then be able to connect that DVR to the router and the Internet.  If it connects, power up eachj remaining receiver in turn and each should configure properly.

dustoffmedic
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dcd 

Whenever you change routers, the CCK adapter and all of the HD receivers and DVR's continue looking for the old router.  The trick is to clear all the old settings so the various devices will seek a new connection, the new router.  Resetting a receiver does not clear the old network settings but a power offreset will cause it to seek a connection and if the link to the router is available via the CCK, the receiver will configure to the new router.

If you disconnect the CCK from the coax feed and go to each receiver's network setup and do a "restore defaults" it should clear the old settings, then disconnect AC power from that box.  When you get to the DVR you have the CCK connected to reset the CCK and hold the button for a minimum of 30 seconds.  You should then be able to connect that DVR to the router and the Internet.  If it connects, power up eachj remaining receiver in turn and each should configure properly.

dcd: Thanks for the clear, concise instructions! I just followed them to the letter --- my HD receiver where the CCK is connected recognized the wireless device and my network SSID at once. Unfortunately, it will not accept my passcode which is just lowercase letters and a few numbers.

All my other wireless devices ( cell phones, printers, notebook, additional PC ) work fine. I even unplugged the DSL router for 2 minutes and checked its settings, making certain the DCHP is selected, security is WPA and WPA2, encryption is TKIP and AES, no Mac filtering, etc.  I went through the resetting steps again with the receiver and CCK, unplugging both, using the pen point reset,and pressing the WPS button. I get a strong green light on the CCK with the "activity" light blinking intermittently, as does the router's when activity is present. The screen message says Coax connected but no internet found. My passcode is continually rejected. Any other suggestions?

dcd

We've seen a few similar posts involving the same router.  One of the other Guides has asked our technical contact to look into a possible conflict between the CCK and this particular router.  Personally, if it were me, I'd see if Verizon had any different brands of router, in particular a Linksys.

dustoffmedic

Thanks. I just got this gateway from Verizon to replace the old Westell 7500 that worked fine with the CCK but couldn't stay connected to the Internet for more than a couple hours. I looked into the new Linksys and if your tech contacts can't resolve the problem maybe I'll pony up the cash. Verizon is adamant that the problem isn't theirs ( of course ), so for now I'll just have to do without the CCK. Thanks again for the help.

dcd

You're welcome.  As an aside my router recently went bad after several years of service and I replaced it with the cheapest Linksys I could find (model E1000) and it took all of 5 minutes to set it up.  That model is no longer available, I think the E1200 is the entry level one now and they are available for less than $40.

dustoffmedic

dcd --- Thanks very much! I went to my local electronics store today ( the one with the yellow sign), and bought an ActionTec GT784WN combination modem/DSL gateway. It took about 15 minutes to disconnect the D- Link and hook this one up. During that time, I had already followed your previous excellent instructions on my DTV disconnects. When I connected the CCK and powered up that receiver, it instantly connected without my doing anything else! When I selected "Network setup" the message said I was connected to the Internet. No WPS, no entering of the security code, nothing required.. The other 2 TVs are also connected fine. Verizon can have their D-Link back if they want it. So ---- anyone else reading this that is experiencing the same difficulty might want to follow your advice and invest in another router. Thanks again!!!  Smile

BTW --- I spent 70 bucks for the router but as long as it works, I'm ok with that.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dustoffmedic 

BTW --- I spent 70 bucks for the router but as long as it works, I'm ok with that.

our DirecTV contacts got a hold of the Dlink engineers and they are looking in to it.

dcd

You're more than welcome, glad to see you up and running.

jvance78

dustoff - I have same equipment and for my first 10 days I had the same problem until I figured it out.

At the onscreen Network Setup under advance setup it has default IP settings 169.x.y.z something which is outside the range of a home network of 192.168.x.y.  So u need to enter the 4 lines of ip address; server, gateway, dns and the other one.  Depending on how many wireless devices you have you'll want to be sure the server ip (last value) does not conflict with any other wireless device.  I gave mine 192.168.1.20  (20 is high enough for my use.).   Also throw away the short ethernet cable that came with the kit.  I know the guide and onscreen instructions say connect it from dcck to dvr. But it wont work if u do.

Jack

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jvance78 

dustoff - I have same equipment and for my first 10 days I had the same problem until I figured it out.

At the onscreen Network Setup under advance setup it has default IP settings 169.x.y.z something which is outside the range of a home network of 192.168.x.y.  So u need to enter the 4 lines of ip address; server, gateway, dns and the other one.  Depending on how many wireless devices you have you'll want to be sure the server ip (last value) does not conflict with any other wireless device.  I gave mine 192.168.1.20  (20 is high enough for my use.).   Also throw away the short ethernet cable that came with the kit.  I know the guide and onscreen instructions say connect it from dcck to dvr. But it wont work if u do.

Jack

This is irrelevant information not applicable on this thread

hoffnerc

Connecting the Verizon Wireless DSL Router to the DCCK using the WPS capability on both.  This eliminates the problem with the DCCK not connecting when you enter the Network Name and Pass Code.

1. Press and hold the WPS button on the side of the Verizon Wireless DSL Router for 5 seconds.  The blue WPS light surrounding the WPS button should start blinking.

2. Within 2 minutes of activating WPS on the Verizon Wireless DSL Router, press and hold the WPS button on the DCCK for 5 seconds.  The WLAN light on the DCCK should turn to solid green.

3. The DCCK is now connected to the router but not to the internet.

Connecting the DCCK to the internet once the DCCK is connected to the Verizon Wireledd DSL Router.

1. Press and hold the DVR remote "INFO" button for 5 seconds until the "System Info & Test Screen Appears"

2. Press the left navigation button on the remote to activate the menu on the left side of the screen

3. Press the down navigation button on the remote to highlight "Network Setup".  Press the "Select" button to open the "Connect to the Internet" screen.

4. Press the down navigation button on the remote to highlight "Advanced Setup".  Press the "Select" button to open the "Advance Setup" screen.

5. IP Address: Enter and IP address for your home network that is not already in use.  I used 192.168.1.25

6. Subnet Mask: Enter the subnet mask for your home network. Mine is 255.255.255.0

7. Enter the Default Gateway:  This is the IP address of your Verizon Wireless DSL Router.  The standard is 192.168.1.1

8. Enter the DNS for Verizon:  I used 68.238.96.12

9. Select "Connect Now", you should see "OK" for IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS.  You should also see "Connected" for Network and Internet

10. Select "Continue" and finally "Done".

11. Select "Exit" on your remote to return to normal programming.  You are now ready to order movies using your Verizon Wireless DSL home network.

: