22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2013 7:05 PM by peds48 RSS

DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit does not work with Genie

feinepotte

Hello,

I may have prematurely posted a question without finishing, so apologies for the redundancy if it posted.

I received the DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit and setup to my WiFi.

When I try and watch something On Demand or DirecTV Cinema, I get the following error when I hit "WATCH NOW"

"Your current internet connection speed does not support instant play.  Would you like to record this program to your Playlist instead?"

I have hit RECORD and it goes in and out of recording. I'll be watching live tv and will get an error on and off that says my internet has disconnected and then reconnected.  It takes a long time to download content.

Because of this, I did a RUN SYSTEM TEST and here are my stats:

Receiver: HR34/700

Software: 0x6d8

TWO tests failed with following diagnostic error:  72-79-204

1. Cannot Detect Phone Dial Tone (This makes sense because I do not have a landline hooked up to the unit)

2. Network: Playback Errors due to dropped connections.  This receiver appears to be experiencing network playback errors.  If you are experiencing problems watching recorded content, please call Customer Service at 1800-531-5000 and report the diagnostic code displayed above.

So, I have called for 5 weeks now and explained the problem.  I was told 2 weeks ago that it was something with the Genie software that was getting worked out in a week, but I am still having the issue.

The tech I spoke to tonight said that her roommate, who was a non-directv IT person, had the same issue and was able to fix it by doing something to the router.  I believe it is a firewall issue, but cannot confirm, nor have the knowledge how to check that, let alone fix it.

Any help with this would be great.  I am technical and have reset the router many times, repeated the connection set up, provided IP addresses, etc, etc.  I'm very frustrated because this DirecTV Wireless Connection kit does not work.

Please note that the unit is less than 3ft from my WiFi router.  My Speedtest on an iPhone has 15-20Mbps download speed within 15 ft of the router, so I know there is a solid signal.  I have 11 devices connected to the WiFi that all work fine with this router from throughout the home, even at distances of 70+ft.  (They are not all on at the same time)

Please help!

Thanks in advance!!!!

• Re: DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit does not work with Genie
    dcd

Given the 3 ft distance, here is a suggestion that should correct your problem.  Remove the CCK-W from the system and set it aside.  Connect the Genie's Ethernet port to your router via Ethernet cable.  Disconnect AC power from the Genie then reconnect.  When it's all booted up press the remotes dash (-) button and see if you get the "Internet connected" response.  Note that thew "Watch Now" is simply a shortcut to playing the recording and is a rather shaky feature.

peds48

believe it or not, the fact the your router is so close to the CCK-W can cause interference. best too flow dcd advice and connect the HR34 directly to your router via ethernet cable

feinepotte

Thanks for both of your responses!

I actually asked the tech last night on the phone if it was possible to hardwire the box since it was so close to the WiFi box and sort of "bypass" the Wireless Connection Kit.  I believe "CCK-W" is the Wireless COnnection kIt?    

She told me that "if I hardwire an ethernet cable into the back of the genie, it will automatically stop my remote client in the bedroom from working"  She said that I would be able to watch TV in the bedroom with the client, but I would not be able to access the Playlist because that is sent wirelessly through my home.

I disagreed with her because I had the client working in that room 2 weeks before I got the cinema connection kit and had no issues.  In fact, that client box is hardwired with an RG-6 cable, which I also explained to her, but she said that I "got away with it"  

Nevertheless, she put the fear of god in me by saying I shouldn't hardwire it to the back of the genie and I'm concerned if I do hardwire an ethernet cable from the Wireless Connection Kit to the back of the Genie, I'm going to break something.

Please confirm if this is true or not and I'll give it a shot!

Thanks!

Mark

litzdog911

That rep is wrong.  The Genie HD DVRs (HR34/HR44) can be connected directly to your home network via ethernet cable.  It's the non-Genie HD DVRs that cannot. 

dcd

As an aside, it often happens that you will get solid advice here that a phone CSR is unaware of.  If you want to wire your system in full supported fashion, then you'll need a 2 way Directv coax splitter, a DECA BB adapter with power supply, 3' of coax and a short length of Ethernet cable.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by feinepotte 

I shouldn't hardwire it to the back of the genie and I'm concernedif I do hardwire an ethernet cable from the Wireless Connection Kit to the back of the Genie, I'm going to break something.

Please confirm if this is true or not and I'll give it a shot!

Thanks!

Mark

No, you are NOT hardwiring the CCK-W to the Genie.  You are connecting the Genie, DIRECTLY to your router with an ethernet cable

feinepotte

Great!  To confirm, because my Genie box is right next to my WiFi router, i can physically connect an ethernet cable directly from the router the Genie?

I don't need the Wireless COnnection Kit at all then, do I?

Thanks!
    Mark

litzdog911

Correct.  Be sure to reset all of your equipment after making this change. 

feinepotte

I will try this weekend.  I do recall when I first got the Genie box, I did try to hardwire it with an ethernet cable, but it did not work.  When I called, a CSR told me that I needed a "Cinema Connection Kit" Wired or Wireless in order to access ON DEMAND.

I just looked on the website, and it also says that:  http://www.directv.com/technology/connected_home

So the question is, do I need a connection kit or can I just plug the ethernet from the WiFi router to the Genie?

Thanks again everyone!

cartyl98
    So I also have had this same error message reliably every time we tried to watch a movie on demand/playback. I called Direct Tv about it who told me it is a problem with Verizon to call them. Which of course sounds logical they are my Internet provider now since I changed from Comcast to Direct Tv. I call Verizon who advises me of course it is a direct tv problem I have to call them. I was expecting that before I even made the call to both companies. Everyone says its the other persons problem. Needless to say no one was of any help. I also have googled the trouble hoping for a fix but it seems no one has an answer. Today I was able to fix this problem myself. Maybe someone from both companies (mainly direct tv) so they can pass this along to their customers for assistance. I matched the IP address on my box (through the settings option, network set up) to match the IP address I am getting on another computer. THIS FIXED MY PROBLEM INSTANTLY. I immediately just picked any movie for immediate playback and it is working as we speak. This feature has not worked once until today and I have tried many many times. Even if I pressed to record it, it literally took hourssssss even for a thirty minute show. I hope this helps other people with the same problem. Now I can finally utilize this feature.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    dcd

Great!  To confirm, because my Genie box is right next to my WiFi router, i can physically connect an ethernet cable directly from the router the Genie?

I don't need the Wireless COnnection Kit at all then, do I?

Thanks!
    Mark

This was completely covered in my post #2.  It would appear that you are reluctant to follow our instructions.  If that be the case then this entire communication doesn't do you much good.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by cartyl98 
    So I also have had this same error message reliably every time we tried to watch a movie on demand/playback. I called Direct Tv about it who told me it is a problem with Verizon to call them. Which of course sounds logical they are my Internet provider now since I changed from Comcast to Direct Tv. I call Verizon who advises me of course it is a direct tv problem I have to call them. I was expecting that before I even made the call to both companies. Everyone says its the other persons problem. Needless to say no one was of any help. I also have googled the trouble hoping for a fix but it seems no one has an answer. Today I was able to fix this problem myself. Maybe someone from both companies (mainly direct tv) so they can pass this along to their customers for assistance. I matched the IP address on my box (through the settings option, network set up) to match the IP address I am getting on another computer. THIS FIXED MY PROBLEM INSTANTLY. I immediately just picked any movie for immediate playback and it is working as we speak. This feature has not worked once until today and I have tried many many times. Even if I pressed to record it, it literally took hourssssss even for a thirty minute show. I hope this helps other people with the same problem. Now I can finally utilize this feature.

WRONG, to other readers of this thread, disregard this advice, as having the same IP address on two devices is a recipe for disaster.  Perhaps going to the network set up again refreshed your settings but is definitely NOT the duplicate IP address that fixed your issue.

cartyl98
    Not really. It was the IP from my iPad. And my iPad will change. Your wrong i never refreshed the box so no that did no do it nor ever has. It's funny the continuous CCK-W is not compatible/ does not work with it, than  why the **** are you technician's continuously putting them in? I am aware of a double IP  address problem, I am not a novice you just need to be sure you follow up and chnage the one. Not a big deal. I can say one thing definitely works better than call direct tv, no call Verizon, no call direct tv,........ No one knows so everyone passes you back and forth leaving us to figure out your equipment ourselves. Thanks for the negativity feedback when I was trying to help. Mine works great now!! Yayyy!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    feinepotte

Thanks for your help.  I followed the instructions in Post 2 and it sadly did not work.   

Given the 3 ft distance, here is a suggestion that should correct your problem.  Remove the CCK-W from the system and set it aside.  Connect the Genie's Ethernet port to your router via Ethernet cable.  Disconnect AC power from the Genie then reconnect.  When it's all booted up press the remotes dash (-) button and see if you get the "Internet connected" response.  Note that thew "Watch Now" is simply a shortcut to playing the recording and is a rather shaky feature.

It does the exact same thing, same errors, same everything.  no change.

Any other suggestions?

feinepotte

I did try this.  I matched the IP on my iPhone.  Unfortunately, this did not work, either.  When I ran a system test, I actually got three new errors (as opposed to two)

I guess I didn't get as lucky, but I really appreciate the out of the box idea!

feinepotte

After several more attempts at the suggestions listed above, I cannot even get any VOD channels to work. (i.e. 1202, CNN ON DEMAND) when I click on it, I get this error "1202 (CNN) is currently not available"

Any thoughts why THIS is now happening?  it happened after I hit the red reset button.  I'm guessing it's just downloading info from the sattelite, but after I unplugged the unit (as instruced to in Post 2), that essentially is the same as hitting the red reset button and I did not have this problem.

This should not be challenging.  It's 2013....plug in the ethernet cable and it should work!  

peds48

This should not be challenging.  It's 2013....plug in the ethernet cable and it should work!  

and the fact that you have the "1202 (CNN) is currently not available" message it indicates that is working.  you just have to give it some time.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by cartyl98 
    Not really. It was the IP from my iPad. And my iPad will change. Your wrong i never refreshed the box so no that did no do it nor ever has. It's funny the continuous CCK-W is not compatible/ does not work with it, than why the **** are you technician's continuously putting them in? I am aware of a double IP address problem, I am not a novice you just need to be sure you follow up and chnage the one. Not a big deal. I can say one thing definitely works better than call direct tv, no call Verizon, no call direct tv,........ No one knows so everyone passes you back and forth leaving us to figure out your equipment ourselves. Thanks for the negativity feedback when I was trying to help. Mine works great now!! Yayyy!!!

of course, suit yourself.  but you have been warned.

feinepotte

I did give it time.  However, when I clicked on a VOD show to watch a show, I got the same issue as before.

To recap, whether i'm connected WIRELESS or WIRED, I am unable to view any VOD.

I'm thinking its a firewall issue?

Any other thoughts?

dcd

I did give it time.  

After you are connected to the Internet, I always instruct the user to go away for a minimum of 24 hours, do not even try to download.  You obviously only waited an hour or so.  It should be working later tonight or tomorrow, let us know.

Note that each "channel" in On Demand is an interactive server and as such the 100 or so channels has a tremendous amount of data to download to your DVR.  The fact that you can access the CNN on demand channel to get than message proves you are connected.

jvance78

Sounds like your DVR isn't connecting to DCCK. I had the same problem until I figured it out.

At the onscreen Network Setup under advance setup it has default IP settings 169.x.y.z something which is outside the range of a home network of 192.168.x.y.  So u need to enter the 4 lines of ip address; server, gateway, dns and the other one.  Depending on how many wireless devices you have you'll want to be sure the server ip (last value) does not conflict with any other wireless device.  I gave mine 192.168.1.20  (20 is high enough for my use.).   Also throw away the short ethernet cable that came with the kit.  I know the guide and onscreen instructions say connect it from dcck to dvr. But it wont work if u do.

Jack

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jvance78 

Sounds like your DVR isn't connecting to DCCK. I had the same problem until I figured it out.

At the onscreen Network Setup under advance setup it has default IP settings 169.x.y.z something which is outside the range of a home network of 192.168.x.y.  So u need to enter the 4 lines of ip address; server, gateway, dns and the other one.  Depending on how many wireless devices you have you'll want to be sure the server ip (last value) does not conflict with any other wireless device.  I gave mine 192.168.1.20  (20 is high enough for my use.).   Also throw away the short ethernet cable that came with the kit.  I know the guide and onscreen instructions say connect it from dcck to dvr. But it wont work if u do.

Jack

This is irrelevant information not applicable on this thread