10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2013 8:42 PM by litzdog911 RSS

How to Connect to the Internet

cielo_524

I recently bought a Genie HD DVR with a mini Genie for an extra room. The main receiver is HR34 and the mini genie is C31. I also have Whole Home DVR. About a week after the purchase, I was interested in connecting to the internet for Demand TV and the Cinema goodies. After reading some articles online, should I have gotten the Cinema Connection kit as part of the installation? I feel like I was screwed over and I have a feeling if I contact the customer service rep, they will ding me with a fee for something that should have been part of the installation. Can someone please clarify this?

• Re: How to Connect to the Internet
    litzdog911

Yes, the original installation should have included connecting the equipment to your home network for internet access.   Call them back and request that someone come back to complete the job.  

What other Receiver/DVR models do you have?  Whole Home DVR won't apply if you only have the HR34+C31 client.

peds48

was the internet up and running at the time the DirecTV tech installed your Genie? If not, then tech is only allow to install the CCK only if you have internet at the time of installation.

cielo_524

Those are the only two Receiver/DVR I had installed. When I go into Settings, the "WHOLE-HOME" option is highlighted and it says, "AUTHORIZED". 

And yes we had Internet up and running. The guy they sent even saw the router when he ran the cable through the room. I don't know why it wasn't mentioned. So I'm guessing I will call them back to complete the job. 

I can't just do the simple route and use a Ethernet cable huh?

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by cielo_524

I can't just do the simple route and use a Ethernet cable huh?

Fortunately for you, the HR34 is the one DVR that you can in fact go the simple route. Disconnect AC power from the HR34, connect the Ethernet cable from the HR34 to the router then re-power the HR34. After it's booted up it may ask if you'd like to connect to the Internet. If not press the dash (-) button on the remote and see if Internet is indicated. Following that, a power off reset will connect all the other HD boxes in your system to the Internet as well.

Note that this setup is not the supported way but it is perfectly safe and works just fine.  For the supported install you'd need to split the coax cable in the area of the router and install a DECA BB adapter which in turn would connect to the router via Ethernet.

cielo_524

I ordered an Ethernet cable so i'm just waiting on that. So you are saying when I hook up the ethernet cable to the MAIN RECEIVER in the living room, it will also trigger the mini genie in our master bedroom to also connect to WIFI?

peds48

No, the mini Genie will still connect via the coax cable.  The Genie minis are basically "remotes" of the Genie as such they don't connect to the internet, just the Genie

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by cielo_524 

I ordered an Ethernet cable so i'm just waiting on that. So you are saying when I hook up the ethernet cable to the MAIN RECEIVER in the living room, it will also trigger the mini genie in our master bedroom to also connect to WIFI?

Here's how it works.  In a SWM system, eight "channels" are created within the coax cable that the receivers use to communicate with the dish.  If you also have Whole Home, a ninth channel is created that the receivers use to communicate with other receivers and share programming etc.  If you connect that coax to the router (in your case connecting the HR34 to the router) the connection to the router is overlayed on the ninth channel of the coax making router connection available to all HD boxes in the system.

Although the statement by Peds in post #7 is correct, note that the clients are capable of independent connection to the the Internet.  You can see this in action by running the Pandora feature simultaneously on both the Genie and the Client.  Even if you select the same artist, the song selection will be independent.

jvance78

cielo - Directv has a no cost deca device that connects from dish to modem via coax cable.  So Directv wants their tech to install.  For $33 they will sell you a DCCK device that connects your dvr and all TV wirelessly to Internet - you can install yourself.

Jack

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jvance78 

cielo - Directv has a no cost deca device that connects from dish to modem via coax cable.  So Directv wants their tech to install.  For $33 they will sell you a DCCK device that connects your dvr and all TV wirelessly to Internet - you can install yourself.

Jack

did you even bothered to read this thread?

This is irrelevant information not applicable on this thread

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jvance78 

Jack

I trust you mean well, Jack.  But at least READ the entire thread before posting a totally irrelevant "solution".  Thanks.