7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2013 3:19 AM by dcd RSS

Recorded shows starting late

gr8ful2u2

I am currently at software version 0x6bd.

Since the previous software release most scheduled shows start recording 1-2 minutes late, cutting off the beginning. 

This may be related to periodic hangs of 1-2 minutes when the DVR becomes unresponsive.

I have run all the tests including all external hard drive tests (by hitting the center button when booting) and they all pass. The tests included in the settings menu also pass. All signals are 90%-100%.

My DVR is an hr20/100 with a 2 TB external drive. 

Thanks

• Re: Recorded shows starting late
    peds48

There is no need or advantage to post the same question in multiple forums.  see your answers here

http://forums.directv.com/message/11238915#11238915

gr8ful2u2

Thanks, except there are no answers there. In fact you wrote the response, and all you suggested is to call support.

I did call support, and they refused to deal with the problem. They suggested I set all of my shows to start recording 5 minutes early.

The problem with that is I'm going to miss recording shows I was previously able to record. She did not respond to this observation.

Everyone appreciates your help, but please try to contribute. People are looking to answers, not links to pages with no answers. Those just waste everybody's time.

Just like when you Google a problem and you find a forum where someone has already asked about your problem, and you can tell there are multiple replies, but when you read through the replies all you see are replies like  "I have that problem too."

No one likes to waste time. My question is are others having the same problem? Has anyone found a solution?

I have HR20-700's.

peds48

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.

dcd

Disconnect the external hard drive and do a AC power reset of the DVR.  Now run the built in self tests of the internal hard drive.  I'm thinking the external drive may be good but internally the HR20 may be failing.

gr8ful2u2

Thanks, that was a great idea.

However the internal drive was fine, but I did find an issue with another HR20, so thanks for the tip. I'll get that one fixed.

I'm now on more recent firmware and the problem remains. I cannot believe this has persisted, unless it is unique to me and my old HR20?

Calling technical support resulted in the bizarre advice to program shows to start recording 5 minutes early (all 40+!).

When I pointed out to the nice lady that some shows on a different channel would no longer record, all she could say is that's how she avoided the problem. I've been a DirecTV subscriber since the 1990's, and this was never a problem until this year.

If anyone knows the answer or has other advice, I'd love to hear it.

dcd

You may not be aware but the HD DVR's record a front buffer on all scheduled recordings if the DVR is not busy the prior time period.  When you select a program to play back, when it begins playing if you press the rewind button you'll see what I mean.  I think most of your problem is not that the DVR is not "starting to record" on time but rather that playback is starting a bit late.