11 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2013 7:17 PM by inapprope RSS

Internet problems regarding the DECA Broadband Adapter

inapprope

I'm going to detail how my system is set up because I think it's important, plus I live in an apartment building, which makes it slightly more confusing.

We have one Directv dish on our roof. From the dish is a coax cable that goes into a router of some sort on the side of our building. A cable from that goes around the building outside into my apartment into a kind of splitter, one goes into my HR24 receiver, the other goes into a DECA Broadband Adapater. From the DECA  Broadband Adapter is an ethernet cable that goes into my router and that's it.

I've been having network problems lately, which are long to describe so if you want the short question here it is: Can't I just have my directv coax go directly to the directv receiver and then have an ethernet cord go from same receiver to router?

For more information on my problems, here you go:

Recently noticed my internet was going slow so I went to speedtest.net to see if my perception was correct and I'm getting a fraction of the speeds I was before. When my speeds are a fraction I also tried to connect to my router through 192.168.1.1, like I always have, and it didn't work. I opened a command prompt and it said my default gateway was 192.168.254.254. So I went to that. Entered a generic username and password and got into it. The page was a Frontier page. Frontier is a different ISP in town, not mine. The page also seemed to call my router a modem. Reset my router, modem, all of it. Even bought a new router and the problem persisted, but only sometimes. Sometimes I would turn on my computer with a wired connection it would be normal, then would seem to change randomly at certain points.. Even my Xbox and wireless devices were using the 192.168.254.* ip configuration.

It wasn't until today that I started unplugging ethernet cables from my router and going into "connected devices" on my router's setting page that I noticed the cable that goes into my router from the DECA Broadband device has the IP of 192.168.254.254, So I'm pretty sure that's my problem. The DECA Broadband Adapter... Don't know why this just started after 2 years of Directv service. Anyways, I think I've isolated the problem, now my question is how do I fix it?

• Re: Internet problems regarding the DECA Broadband Adapter
    peds48

The DECA BB adapter is just a "bridge" that "converts" your ethernet network into coax that feeds the DirecTV system.  point is that there is no difference on what type of IP address the receiver gets whether via by ethernet or the DECA BB via coax.  Since you only have one receiver, you can connect an ethernet cable directly from your router to the HR24, just make sure to do a red button reset on the HR24 so that it switches from its coax circuitry to the ethernet  jack 

shannon1

Yes you can run an Ethernet cable to the HR24 after connecting it press the red reset button behind the access card door to force the HR24 to switch to the Ethernet port from the built in DECA.

I don't think the DECA BB is the problem as it only converts the Ethernet signals to a signal that works over coax it is the HR24 that gets the IP address that is assigned to it from the gateway/router, try going to network setup restore defaults then repeat network setup.

peds48

ALso just to double check, you do have the wired DECA BB, not the wireless DECA right?

inapprope

It is wired, yes. Reconnected the DECA BB and now I have 4 new connected devices to my network all with the 192.168.254.* IP Address that will eventually screw up my entire network I bet. They weren't there before I reconnected it.

Haven't connected my receiver directly to my router yet, bypassing the DECA BB yet to see if that shows anything different. About to check that now.

peds48

Are you in an MDU where everybody shares a common dish?

inapprope

Ok, I think I got it figured out now. My DECA Broadband adapter was screwing up apparently. When I connect it to my router I have 4 unknown "connected devices" to my router. All ending in 192.168.254.* and one of them at 192.168.254.254 which often shows up as a Frontier Communications router... From the messages on this post it turns out that with one Direct TV receiver I don't even need that DECA BB adapter, and looking closer at the cables the only reason it was implemented was because the installer (the 3rd or 4th one that actually showed up to finally figure out that all I needed was a coax from the splitter coming off of the dish to my apartment) ran the coax cable too short... Fun times. So I just used a simple coax extender between the splitter on the outside of the building to the one connected to my receiver and hooked up an ethernet cord from my receiver to my router and it works perfectly. No more stranger "unknown devices" from my router and everything seems to be running flawlessly so far. If anything else changes I'll update this post, but as it stands I'm not exactly happy with my local directv installation crew.

inapprope
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

Are you in an MDU where everybody shares a common dish?

I don't know what MDU stands for, but yes I am. Also, see my previous post.

peds48

MDU= Multi Dwelling Unit, AKA apartment complex.   If you are in an MDU, then the tech probably forgot to install a BSF filter.  This filter will isolate your installation with the one of your neighbors, which seems that is what is going on here.

inapprope

MDU= Multi Dwelling Unit, AKA apartment complex.   If you are in an MDU, then the tech probably forgot to install a BSF filter.  This filter will isolate your installation with the one of your neighbors, which seems that is what is going on here.

Yes I do live in an apartment complex. Yet, I don't understand why this problem just started to arise after almost 2 years since the installation date... And an incompetent tech, that's not exactly new to me seeing as it took 3 techs, also 3 days off of work waiting for them, to figure out they just need to install a coax to the building's splitter.

peds48

Perhaps some of your neighbors upgraded their equipment or perhaps a new customer.  The point is, someone had to mess with the building installation and something was removed or not configured properly.  by connecting the ethernet cable, you have removed yourself from the coax network thus isolating yourself from the system, the problem is that if you ever want to get WHDVR, this issue must be fixed.

inapprope

Perhaps some of your neighbors upgraded their equipment or perhaps a new customer.  The point is, someone had to mess with the building installation and something was removed or not configured properly.  by connecting the ethernet cable, you have removed yourself from the coax network thus isolating yourself from the system, the problem is that if you ever want to get WHDVR, this issue must be fixed.

Doesn't surprise me that the techs did mess it up, but I only have the one receiver right now and I'm not looking to contact customer support through what sounds like a tin can, which is what it sounded like last time I contacted them.