14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2013 4:13 PM by peds48 RSS

Genie Series Manager not working right

jenny311
I recently added a genie receiver to my home. Since I have added it, when i go to series manager it does not display the number of upcoming shows set to record properly. Sometimes it displayes (0) when one or more is set to record and other times it displays (1) when more then one are set to record. At other times I can go to view upcoming and even though on a show I have set to record first runs it shows two or more first runs not all of them or none of them have the R showing that they will record.

Then a few hours ago I went to my to-do list and it only had 11 shows set to record and only went up to Monday June 17. The last time I looked at my to-do list (earlier in the day) it went to at least the 26th and there were 40 or so shows set to record. At this point my receiver had not been reset and my guide went out to around the 26th as well. I read some posts were it was suggested a receiver reset might help with problems like this so I tried that. Now that I have done that there are even less shows in my to-do list, 9 to be exact and they are all shows I set manually, none from the series manager. I have waited a few hours, my guide still goes out to the 26th and still no shows from the series manager set to record. At least before the reset I had 2 of the many shows that should be set to record from the series manager but now none.

I have also been keeping an eye on the series manager and the to-do list and there have been a few times I have had to manually set shows that are supposed to record that day that still have not been added. The genie just does not seem to be doing what it is supposed to or displaying what it is supposed to. I am getting very tired of having to checkup on it is there a fix for these issues? If not I might just go back to my old direcTV receiver which recorded everything it was supposed to and always displayed the correct number of upcoming shows in the series manager and did not suddenly lose 90% of my to-do list. Not to mention if it was available on the guide it was set to record.
  • Re: Genie Series Manager not working right
    dcd

When you do a reset, a goodly portion of the Guide is deleted and it takes a day or more for it to fill back in.  I'd guess you are experiencing Series over management.  After a while you'll not even look at the to do list and not too often at the Series Manager except to maybe set the priority.  

I suggest you set up your series (after the guide rebuilds) and then give it a couple of weeks unattended.  If your Genie is like mine, it will be very reliable in recording series.

texasbrit

Yes, I think you are overthinking this. Just set up the series you want and leave the Genie to do its thing. It takes a while for future episodes to be set up correctly, but that does not mean they won't record. If you are still having problems in a couple of weeks, post back.

jenny311
    I am not knew to DirecTV nor am I over managing.  I have had one direct TV DVR or another since DirecTV first offered DVR.  We got the Genie over a month ago and I setup my series at that time.  Still as recently as this week series that are supposed to be set to recording do not have the little red R day of.  I am all for letting it do it's thing, but is it its thing to have 40 shows in the to-do list then a few hours later  have only 11.  Shows that were supposed to record today were no longer there. 

Since posting I am at least happy to say that the reset helped, I am back to 41 recordings in my to-do list. But still if I go to the series manager it still shows less then half that.  Only a few shows show (1) when many of them have 2 set to record. 

I also have several shows that are supposed to record on Sunday and they have been recording on that day since we got the Genie, now this week (before and after the reset) the Genie has decided to record them on Monday even though they are available on Sunday.  Obviously there are no conflicts because of the 4 shows none of them are recording Sunday as a matter of fact Ihave nothing set to record Sunday.  I like watching my Sunday shows on Sunday.  Is it part of Genie's thing to decide I do not want to watch a show the day it airs but a day later?

Believe me I do not want to over manage my DVR.  Ihave had several and still have 4 others in the house that are not Geniie's and they add what is available in the guide to my Series Managers as soon as it is available in the Guide, Display the correct number of shows set to record in the manager and record them first air day when there are no conflicts and never lose most of my to-do list out of the blue when everythingis there in the guide.  If that behavior is genie's normal thing I do not know if I like it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    texasbrit

Every time you reset the box, it starts rebuilding its recordings/to do list, and the series manager. Taking into account that the genie won't record duplicates (episodes that have been recorded in the last 28 days) has the box actually missed any recordings? I suspect not.

The series that are recording on the wrong day, are those series you set up using the "coming soon" feature? If so, this "wrong day" behavior is a known issue. I just let it run and it sorts itself out eventually, or you can delete the series link and set it up again when there is a "real" episode.

We get posts all the time from people who are concerned because the to-do list and the series manager lists don't appear to be correct. Our usual advice is to leave things alone, and post back if recordings are being missed. they virtually never are. 

If you do actually miss any recordings, we suggest you do a double reset. reset the Genie, and then when it has booted up completely, reset it again. This clears out and rebuilds all the guide data. You will seem to lose all sorts of lists but they will re-appear over a couple of days, and the box should record everything you have requested.

dcd

The "Coming Soon" feature is a wonderful addition.  But, as Texasbrit stated, the resulting series setup is sometimes flawed.  On those programs I make it a point to delete the series once the actual program becomes available and set it up again using the showing I want to record.  I'd also be sure those Sunday programs you refer to are near the top of the list priority wise.

I know you believe something is wrong, but I cannot recall a situation where a DVR lost it's ability to record appropriately unless there was some major underlying problem.

jenny311
    Yes, the coming soon feature is very cool and a handy feature when you replace your DVR.  Unfortanetely, my 4 Sunday shows that decided to record on Monday instead of Sunday were not setup using the Coming Soon feature.  They all started in April, so when I got my Genie in early May they were all airing so they were setup without the coming soon feature.  Who knows maybe my Genie decided that Sunday is a day of rest and didn't want to do any work.

I do have a ton of shows starting in Septemeber that I did use the comig soon feature for, so I will make a note and delete those and set them up again as well as my end of June and July shows.

So if these are the only 4 shows I am recording this time of year on Sunday and they all air at different times, does the priority still need to be set high on the Genie to get them to record on Sundays or is that just if the coming soon feature is used?

I might try the double reset.  The first reset I ever did was the other night, so I know that was not the issue with a quarter of my to-do list disaperaing.  They all seemed to be back yesterday, but many are missing again today.

Call it DVR over management if you would like, but the to-do list is a feature on the Genie and Ilike using it.  Sometimes I like to have a quick look at what is recording that evening.  I also have a few shows that are no longer running setup to record the repeats and now and again I like to go to do the list and cancel episodes I don't want to see again.  If using a feature available on  my DVR and expecting to work properly as it does my other DVR's is over management then I guess I over manage.

As for the Series manager not displaying the number of episodes set to record for a series correctly I can live with that.  But is it a known issue and will it be fixed? 

Are shows disapearing from the to-do list that were there and have not recorded yet a known issue or is that just me?  If not just me will that fixed?  (Again this was not an issue of my box being reset, it had not been reset.  I was watching TV i checked the to-do list during a commercial to delete some repeats I did not want to see and went back the next commercial to continue and 30 shows were gone.

Is the issue I had with shows not set up using the coming soon feature recording on their air date for 4 weeks then suddenly deciding to record another day a know issue with the Genie, will it be fixed?

The coming soon thing sounds as if it is known issue, I hope DirecTV fixes that.

My old receivers had none of these issues.... you would expect the genie to work as well as older models if not better.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    texasbrit

Many of the issues you are seeing are associated with the rebuilding of the lists after a reset and so should solve themselves. Your genie probably reset itself (maybe a download) which is why you lost some episodes set to record.

Unfortunately the todo list does not actually list all the episodes to record - this has always been an issue even with the DVRs. Sometimes programs get recorded even when they are not on the todo list, if they have been bumped from a previous time slot or if the DVR has been reset. If you lost programs from the todo list, maybe the genie was in the middle of housekeeping and cleaned up the todo list. The programs that were lost, should they have been on the todo list in the first place?

there is no reason why programs should not record on the first available date, if you did not use the coming soon feature. What is the genie telling you about why the program did not record on the first available day?  What channel were these programs on?

All I can say is I have had a genie since it was in beta test and I never even look at the todo list, and very rarely at the "upcoming". I just let the genie do it's thing. I have never lost a recording that the Genie should have recorded, and only a few times have i seen the problem where a program was recorded on the wrong day.

jenny311
    That is definately not the case.  It was definately not the lists rebuilding after a reset.... I went to the to-do list there were 41 shows there.  I continued watching TV went back to the to do list there were 11 shows on the list.  The genie did not reset because I was watching it.

Yes, the programs that were lost should have been on the to-do list and returned to the to-do list after the reset.  I obviously did not remember all of the 30 shows when I noticed that pretty much my entire to-do list disapeared, but I knew what some of them were and checked the guide and they were in the guide at their scheduled time. If it was the genie doing house keeping then it removed shows that were supposed to record becuase they returned to the to-do list after the reset and some of them have already recorded last night, so obviously they were supposed to be there.  Every show in my series manager disapeared, as the 11 shows that were there were movies I manually set to record.  And as I said it has happened again, they were all gone this morning when I woke up, so I am going to try the double reset later today.

I have had many DVR's and with the ocassional exception of a schedule change or wrong info in the guide every show that was scheduled to record has always been in the to-do list and recorded.  My DVR's have never recorded anything not on the to-do list.  I can understand a show or two disapearing because of guide changes etc.  But going from 40 shows to 11 in an hour or so, that is 3 quarters of the list! 

I understand you might not look at your to-do list, but that does not mean I do not have reason to.  It is a feature on the DVR so why should I not expect it to work right and use it if I want.  Simply looking at the to-do list to see what shows are going to record on a given day, or if a friend asks what are you watching tonight or to stop a show from recording that you do not want to see or for any other reason is not stopping and should not stop the Gebie from doing its thing.  If your not supposed to look at it or use it and it not supposed to display your upcoming recordings then why did DirecTV put it there?

I did not check to see what the Genie said about why they did not record on Sunday.  The shows were:

Borgias - Show Time
    Mad Men - AMC
    Nurse Jackie- Show Time
    Game of Thrones - HBO

That is 4 shows.. the Genie can record 5.  So not a conflict issue. They all aired at their scheduled time so not a schedule change issue and they all recorded at my Moms house (which is right next store) on sunday on her DirecTV DVR so not misinformation in the guide.  Maybe the double reset will fix the issue.

dcd

Two of us have given you our best advice and we are both volunteers so have no reason whatever to mislead you.  There are no adjustments that you can make to the DVR's settings other than what you've already done.  Because you are obviously quite unhappy, my suggestion to you is to call Directv and go through your problems with a CSR, maybe you can convince them to send a technician or ship you a replacement.

litzdog911

A replacement DVR won't behave any differently.  

dcd

Agreed, but it might satisfy the op.

redmm

I too am having difficulties recording series. I had the original DVRS  and never had a problem recording series before. This is ht or miss. I  have tried resetting the box. There seems to be a flaw somewhere in the program. my neighbors who have upgraded have also ran into problems, seems like a quick update would be able to fix this flaw. I love the geine other than this problem.