3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2013 4:18 PM by peds48 RSS

Proper Genie and HD DVR Installation

dmelideo

I just had a new Genie DVR installed in my house and am would like to confirm the correct way to expand part of my system.

Channel 2 of the SWIM is connected to an 8 port splitter. All cables are home runs back to this 8 port splitter from each room. The splitter is connected to the new Genie and two HD receivers via separate RG6 runs. 

Channel 1 of the SWIM is connected to a 4 port splitter. Port 1 has the DECA connected to it. Port 2 routed to a DirecTV Internet box which is connected to my router. Port 3 is routed to a Genie client mini. Port 4 is routed to a 4 way splitter which is routed to two Direct HD DVR's. The other two ports have Terminal connector caps on them

Questions: 

1. Can I add two coax runs to the unused ports off the 4 port splitter fed by the channel 1 4 port splitter and connect one of my receivers or Geni mini without creating any system issues?  This could mean the Channel 1 system would have (2) HD DVR's connected to it, a Genie mini and a HD receiver.

2. In rooms where I have RG6 run from splitters but do not have a receiver attached, should I put Terminal connector caps on the cover plate barrel connectors?

3. If Q1 is acceptable, would it be better to eliminate the second 4 port splitter and change the channel 1 splitter to an 8 port model and have individual cable runs to each device 

Thanks in advance

• Re: Proper Genie and HD DVR Installation
    shannon1

Please confirm that you have a SWM16.

You only need one DECA / coax to your router you may have some connected to your receivers.

you can only have 16 tuners 8 on each port the Genies use 5, each DVR uses 2 and each receiver 1,

This is how the DECA connects to the system.

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dmelideo

I just had a new Genie DVR installed in my house and am would like to confirm the correct way to expand part of my system.

Channel 2 of the SWIM is connected to an 8 port splitter. All cables are home runs back to this 8 port splitter from each room. The splitter is connected to the new Genie and two HD receivers via separate RG6 runs.

Channel 1 of the SWIM is connected to a 4 port splitter. Port 1 has the DECA connected to it. Port 2 routed to a DirecTV Internet box which is connected to my router. Port 3 is routed to a Genie client mini. Port 4 is routed to a 4 way splitter which is routed to two Direct HD DVR's. The other two ports have Terminal connector caps on them

Questions:

1. Can I add two coax runs to the unused ports off the 4 port splitter fed by the channel 1 4 port splitter and connect one of my receivers or Geni mini without creating any system issues? This could mean the Channel 1 system would have (2) HD DVR's connected to it, a Genie mini and a HD receiver.

2. In rooms where I have RG6 run from splitters but do not have a receiver attached, should I put Terminal connector caps on the cover plate barrel connectors?

3. If Q1 is acceptable, would it be better to eliminate the second 4 port splitter and change the channel 1 splitter to an 8 port model and have individual cable runs to each device

Thanks in advance

What is the "DECA" you refer to here? If it is a WiFi CCK-W Cinema Connection kit, you do not need that in addition to the Internet box connected to your router.

1. Yes. Will these be in addition to your current receivers or will you be moving them from other locations?

2. Absolutely, that or disconnect the cables at the splitter and terminate the outlets there.

3. Yes, less splitters produce less signal loss.

Be sure you use quality compression fittings and not the cheap crimp on type.  Note that if your intent is to move a receiver and a Genie from one location to another that these systems create a network and when you move components of the network it may (or may not) require a complete reset of the network components in order for both Whole Home DVR and the connection to the Internet to function properly.  Personally I like to see a functioning system more or less left alone.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dmelideo 

Questions: 

as of right now, you have a "16th way split" coming out of the second four way.  you are better off changing the second 4 way to a 2 way, or replacing both 4 ways with an 8 way and make all cables "home runs" to that splitter.