3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2013 11:44 AM by greywolf RSS

Oz: The Great and Powerful unwatchable in 3D

jp3848

This past weekend, we rented Oz: The Great and Powerful 3D onDemand. This was the first onDemand movie we have watched in 3D, and the first on our newer HR-24-500.  The movie was practically unwatchable in 3D due to an issue that's pretty tough to describe, it was just a blurry mess during any kind of movement on the screen.  For starters, I have a Sharp 70" Aquos 3Dtv with active glasses. We regularly watch 3D net and 3D Bluray movies, and they look exceptional, so I don't think what I am about to detail is an issue with the TV itself.  

When we started watching the movie, everything seemed to look ok, but once movement started to happen, things got really messy.  I decided to pause the action, left my 3D glasses on, and closed my left eye, I would see one image, like someones eye's opened.  But when I closed my right eye, their eye's would be opened.  Another example is when one scene would fade to another scene, I could close my left eye and see the current scene, but my right eye would see the fade to black, or the next scene.  Almost as if the left eye is about 1/4 second out of sync with the right eye.  This is happening in the fast-action scenes with things moving very fast. When things are moving slower, there is less of a difference.

Is this issue known?  Has anyone seen anything like this before?  I am reluctant to rent anymore 3D onDemand movies until this can be explained.

• Re: Oz: The Great and Powerful unwatchable in 3D
    greywolf

This goes back to last year. I report it to DirecTV and hear nothing back. I won't do 3D PPV/VOD and I advise people to avoid it too.

jp3848
    Quote:    Originally Posted by greywolf 

This goes back to last year. I report it to DirecTV and hear nothing back. I won't do 3D PPV/VOD and I advise people to avoid it too.

I've actually seen the same problem with a Yamaha 3D Bluray player (which was resolved by switching to a Sony) so I think it's a firmware issue using a particular 3D spec.  I'm not technical enough to understand it, but I really hope Directv takes this seriously as we can't be the only two people to have experienced this.  I suspect most folks just think it's normal & don't say anything about it.

Oh, and this was my first post & wouldn't you know I made an error in my scenario.  I meant to say: "...and closed my left eye, I would see one image, like someones eye's opened.  But when I closed my right eye, their eye's would be closed..."

greywolf

There have been a number of posts here on the problem. If you change the filter on post displays from the default 30 days to all posts, you'll see them. The number of people doing 3D VOD is very small. 3DTV has not caught on well. The only reason I have played with it at all is I won the drawing among TechKnowGuides and DirecTV gave me a 3DTV so I could answer questions. I checked it out and don't really like it. Maybe when technology improves to the point glasses are not required and frame refresh is basically abolished, I'll change my mind. If I can't see a football on a punt, the technology isn't good enough.