14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2013 3:51 PM by peds48 RSS

Whole home DVR internet connection problem

geno1949

Just installed a green label SWM5 lnb, 4 port splitter and power inserter

All cabling ohms out normal using the shunt method. All transponders on all 5 sats are normal 80s-90s

My Equipment

Receiver 1--- Hr24/500

Receiver 2--- Hr24/100

Both receivers function as expected using the television side

I can use both to access the internet OR the Whole Home DVR but not both at the same time.Is this normal for my setup??

Thankx in advance

• Re: Whole home DVR internet connection problem
    peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by geno1949 

I can use both to access the internet OR the Whole Home DVR but not both at the same time.Is this normal for my setup??

Thankx in advance

Not sure I understand.  Can you explain further? give examples

geno1949

thankx peds

I can use both to access the internet ORthe Whole Home DVR but not both at the same time.

examples: 

1. Ethernet cable connected , setup network, and HR24/500 AND HR24/100 internet access NO whole home dvr access

2. Disconnect Ethernet cable, reboot both receivers,  setup network to default  and Whole-Home DVR  accessible from Receiver #2 (functioning as it should)

dcd

You cannot connect any Ethernet cables to the HR24's when in a Whole Home environment, it will disable the WH.  You need to run another coax from the splitter to your router and install a DECA BB adapter which will provide Internet access to all boxes in your system.  You will then be able to use Internet features and Whole Home at the same time.

A WiFi CCK-W is available but is a distant second choice.

geno1949

Thankx to everyone. DCD, does the Ethernet cable disable to whole home or is receiver #2 unable to access the DVR because of networking issue (default vs my network)?? Has anybody ever tried using the advanced setup on #2 to match #1?

peds48

You are misunderstand how the receiver get networked  The HR24 has an internal DECA circuitry as well as  Ethernet.  the HDDVR can use either one to network, but never both at the same time.  you can connect both HR24 to your network via Ethernet cables, or you can have DirecTV install a CCK.  You cannot mix and match 

geno1949

Thankx to everyone. 1 more question;

Can I connect the DECA BBA to the ird port of my power inserter?

peds48

While technically speaking you can, but is not recommended.  Best to get a SWM 2 way splitter.  I guess you can try and see if you have any issues

geno1949

thankx pids

I've got one more port on my switch and 1 more cable in that cabinet I can use

dcd

Geno,  Just to help you understand, in a SWM and Whole Home setup, the system creates 8 "channels" in the coax to carry programming plus a ninth "channel" to carry streaming and Internet traffic.  That channel uses the built in DECA (Directv Ethernet Coax Adapter) in the HR24 or an external DECA in older receivers and DVR's.  If you connect an Ethernet cable to a HR24 then the internal DECA is disconnected.  Conversely, if the internal DECA is active, then the external port is deactivated.

elpollodiablox

I have the same setup and same problem.  I had an HR23-500, but it blew up after we took a power hit during a storm.  Whole Home was working perfectly.

DirecTV kindly shipped me a replacement DVR, but was the HR24-500.  Cool, free upgrade.  But now Whole Home doesn't work.

My setup was:

Dish to 4-way splitter (on the outside of the house) --> power injector --> 2-way splitter.

1st output on 2-way splitter --> DECABB1MR0-01 (had ethernet from my router connected to this as well)

2nd output on 2-way splitter --> DECA1MR01 --> HDDVR (via coax)  DECA1MR01 also had ethernet to HDDVR

My other receiver is a HR24-100.  It is connected only to satellite dish via 4-way splitter on the outside of the house.

As I said, was working perfectly.  Both receivers were getting IP on my home network, and I could connect to both with the DirecTV app on my iPad etc.

When I called to have DirecTV activate the new DVR the tech let me know that the HR24-500 has an onboard DECA and the DECAMR01 was unnecessary.  However, when I went through Network Setup the receiver does not get an IP.  If I plug ethernet from my router into DVR (unplugging the ethernet cable out of the DECABB1MR0-01, it gets an IP and is able to get out to the internet.  However, the HR24-100 does not get an IP and does not see the DVR, even after running the Network Setup.  The error I get is "Coax not connected" or something along those lines.  (Sorry, writing this from work and can't see the error right now.)

So my question is if the HR24-500 has an onboard DECA, then how does it connect to the router?  I don't  have coax in on the router--is ethernet only.  Its external network port is connected straight to cable modem.

Does this make any sense?  I'm trying to avoid paying DirecTV to come out and troubleshoot the setup and I feel like I should be smart enough to figure this out.

peds48

Yes, the HR24 have built in DECAs.  they get the internet from the DECABB1MR0-0 adapter (which you said it is disconnected.

connect the DECABB1MR0-0 to your router via its ethernet cable and remove any DECAs and ethernet cables from the HR24s and do a red button  reset on ALL HDDVRs and HD receivers if you have any

peds48

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

If you think your question was resolved, please mark the question as "correct". Thanks!