14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2013 3:49 PM by billyfrench46 RSS

Cannot play content...

jeffj78

I cannot play content from one of my receivers.  It pops up the fabled "protected content" error.  If I go to another receiver, it is fine.  I have troubleshooted this from every angle: red button resets, factory resets, forcing an update at boot up, wired, wireless, reset DRM on multiple computers, Windows 7, Windows 8, doesn't matter.  No other errors to report.  Receiver is online and works as it should.

Any ideas?  Anyone else have this issue?  One receiver plays content, another doesn't?

The problem receiver is an HR22-100.

• Re: Cannot play content...
    bruce4469

I only have one of my units hooked to PC,  but it plays when it feels like it and other times it says,  can't play HDCP content.  Very irritating.  Unable to fix it.  Nothing ever been changed on WINDOWS7 unit and all connections are same as have been and they always worked fine and now,  just when it feels like it.

dcd

The HDCP (HD Copy Protection) protocol is mostly present on premium channel programs and has only recently (last several months) become an issue.  That explains it's seeming hit or miss enforcement.  The problem stems mostly from the fact that many if not most computer monitors are not HDCP compliant.  In other cases it's the graphics card/driver that is the stumbling block.  If you have any hope of overcoming this issue you'll look on those two areas as there is no adjustment available on the HD DVR.

I recently bought a top end Dell computer (i7 and 12 GB ram) and the 22" monitor they packaged with that computer was not HDCP compliant.  I had to go up two price levels in order to get a HDCP monitor.  Coupled with a good graphics card and HDMI connection, I never have a copy protection problem with Directv2PC.  Based on that experience, I'd guess a lot of folks will have HDCP issues, and the number will grow as HDCP becomes more common.

jeffj78

I may have bought the HDCP theory but I only have issues with the one receiver and it doesn't matter what programs are recorded.  My issue is consistent and not intermittent.  I have never received the HDCP error on any receiver.

If my memory is correct, I want to say the receiver had an update recently (May) and since then nothing can be played from it on Directv2pc.

When I get back home I will check the current version and post it up here.  Perhaps it is a software issue with whatever version I have?

dcd

You might try temporarily disabling the firewall on your computer and then doing a red button reset on the "problem" DVR.  Try it first with the Directv2PC software shut down, if that doesn't work, try the same with the software running on the computer.  It may be the connection between that DVR and the computer has a hitch and the reset may correct it.

jeffj78

I went through that process twice and nothing changed.  the problem receiver is running 06d8 which I believe came out on 06/13.

dcd

I just ran a trial on my boy's HR21 (running the latest software) and Directv worked perfectly.  I know you'd like to "blame" Directv's software but know that the cure to your problem lies in your computer hardware and software.

bruce4469

DCD,  I am curious as to why,  one of Jeff's unit would work and the other doesn't?  If they are both hooked up to the same receiver,  shouldn't they be doing the same thing?  Since mine will work about every third or fourth time I try to watch something that I have on the DVR,  where it works fine,  shouldn't it work all the time on the PC?  Just curious.

jeffj78

Well, I've been messing with this on and off since I posted back in July.  I have reached the end of the internet searching for the problem and gone through numerous calls with Directv support all leading to nothing.

I've reloaded various computers trying Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 all with no luck.  The latest issue cropped up in the last 2 weeks.  Now there is no playback at all from either DVR (HR22 or HR24).

I would be curious if this goes away with Genie - several support people have offered this to me for free but I don't see how this will solve the issue.  The Directv2pc (cyberlink) software is the same.

billyfrench46

I gave up on Directv to pc.  It is much better on my big screen TV anyhow.  I liked to do Nascar on PC,  so I could work on computer and glance at race,  but it is so irritating that I gave up trying to get it to work,  plus so much better on live or DVR TV.

jeffj78

Well, I know this was an old thread I started but I finally was able to get Directv2pc working on the Windows 7 machines.  I can watch content from any receiver.  I still have playback errors but after clicking several times, the content comes up and plays back just fine. 

The solution: power cycling the whole home DVR equipment and the wireless adapters gets everything going again. For whatever reason, without a power cycle, the equipment comes up as being offline.  The "mediashare" devices in Windows disappear - without these Cyberlink software is useless.  With the power cycling, this all comes back up and shows as being "online".

Now, my issue is with Window 8/8.1.  This is a gamble.  One day it works, the other no luck.  No errors either. Content is clicked but just sits there, won't play at all.

billyfrench46

Mine still works with Windows 7,  but is very tempermental.  I find though when I go to play,  if I receive the dreaded message, I just keep going back and trying and eventually it will load and play whatever I have on my DVR.  Is a real pain though.

jeffj78

I have a new HD DVR being delivered because one of mine is having other issues with simply running.  It's old so I am surprised it lasted this long.  Once I get the new one networked, we'll see what disaster is coming next! 

billyfrench46

So,  JeffJ did it work?