12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2014 7:20 AM by no_target RSS

HR34 vs. HR44

tommyvee

Hey all, I've had my HR34-700 for a few months and love it.  I learned that there is now the HR44.  Among other improvements, it's said to have a faster processor that makes everything faster with the unit.  Just wondering if this is true, and has anyone compared the two?  I'm paying $25 a month for the Genie, and want the best one possible.  Thanks.

• Re: HR34 vs. HR44
    3reddogs3

You're paying $25 a month for your Genie HR34-700?  I got the same unit in April and I'm only being charged $10 a month. 

texasbrit

$25 a month is the combined fee for DVR, HD and whole home - you are probably paying for these separately, new customers pay the combined fee.

3reddogs3

I'm being billed $10 for "Advanced Receiver-HD Monthly", $10 for "Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly" and $3 for whole home service.  I have an HR34-700 and an HR22-100.   I assumed one of the $10 charges was for the HR34 and the other for the HR22.  Now I'm beginning to think I'm not paying anything for the HR22 other than a $6 charge for "Additional TV".   Does that sound right?   (And, no, I'm not going to call billing for an answer ... I don't want to call attention to myself. 

peds48

No, the "advanced Receiver HD" and "advanced receiver DVR" and WHDVR are only charged once on your bill and covers the ALL of DVRs and and HD receivers on your account.

peds48

While is true, the HR34 is not a snail either.  The difference is minuscule.  and you cannot upgrade from an HR34 to a 44 via DirecTV, you will have to pay the full lease price via a 3rd party authorized dealer

carl6

I've used both the HR34 and HR44 side by side and compared them. Yes, the HR44 is slightly faster, but in my personal opinion there is not enough difference to justify getting a 44 over a 34, especially if you already have a 34. As peds48 noted, it will be a costly upgrade for you if you choose to do so.

jeffkirkpat

I became a direcTV customer this past July (2013) and was given an HR34. Should I have been given the HR44? I am not so much interested in the speed difference, but the inclusion of wireless access in the HR44.

carl6

DirecTV considers both the HR34 and the HR44 to be Genie units. Either could be provided on a Genie upgrade or replacement. It just depends on what is on the installers truck and what is in the local warehouse. If you want a guarantee of a specific model, you need to obtain it through  a third party vendor such as Solid Signal.

dcd

The HR44 was only available in limited areas in July.  And, in my setup I wouldn't take a HR44 in exchange for my HR34.  Why?  Because the HR44 will not operate in RF mode with the old style remotes, and I don't like the new remote's lack of colored buttons.

peds48

DirecTV does not guarantee specific model numbers.  But the tech should of have connected the HR34 to the Internet either via wired DECA BB device (preferred) or the alternate wireless connection kit.

mrtyler10
    FeaturesHR34HR44
    Record Up To 5 Programs At The Same TimeYesYes
    Picture-in-PictureYesYes
    1TB of Storage – Store Up To 200 Hours of HD ProgrammingYesYes
    Whole-Home Support of Up To 4 Active Rooms (including the Server for HR44)YesYes
    Built in support for cardless/boxless DIRECTV service (RVU)YesYes
    P6 Access CardYesYes
    Ethernet JackYesYes
    Front Panel Touch Sensor/Resolution LEDsYesYes
    Built-in DECAYesYes
    SWiM compatibleYesYes
    Digital Audio Out COAXYesYes
    External DC Power Supply SupportedNoYes
    Integrated Wi-Fi (For connection to the Internet)NoYes
    Digital Audio Out OpticalNoYes
    RF4CE support for remote programming and RF mode (e.g., RC71)NoYes
    XMP2 Support for remote programmingYesNo
    Rear Panel IR Remote ExtenderYesNo
    no_target

I have just upgraded from the HR34-700 to an HR44-700 and it is tremendously faster - the menus pop up instantly now, where with the HR34 the were always delayed and when scrolling on the HR34, if a movie banner came up the menu would stutter and get slow (very annoying) on the HR44 it smoothly scrolls right through them.  From an interactivity standpoint, and in the words of a DTV supervisor, the HR44 is "night and day" faster than the HR34.

Another major improvement on the HR44 over the HR34 is the speed of FF/REW/PLAY/PAUSE - in the HR34, it would always be behind the interaction - when I hit FF then PLAY, it would hesitate and sometimes would lose it's place in the content.  These problems are completely absent on the HR44.

Bottom line: the HR44 is MUCH faster than the HR34 on everything but channel changes which are only slightly faster. As to whether it's worth the upgrade and what DTV (and fanboys) say about it - that's a different story you can see profiled in the post on "DIRECTV whole home DVR service" -> "HR44 Genie is 300% faster than HR34, why does DTV deny it?"