10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2013 12:20 PM by sportman13 RSS

DIRECTV Universal Remote ?

sportman13

Dose theDIRECTV Universal Remote RC71 or Black DirecTV/TiVo Peanut Remote: work with the dvr Hd34 Genie

• Re: DIRECTV Universal Remote ?
    carl6

The HR34 Genie uses the same remotes as the HR2x series DVRs for both IR and RF remote.

The HR44 Genie uses the same remotes for IR, but a different remote for RF.

sportman13

carl6 will theses work work with the
      theDIRECTV Universal Remote RC71 or Black DirecTV/TiVo Peanut Remote: work with the dvr Hd34 Genie

carl6

The RC71 works with the HR34 Genie in IR mode but not in RF mode. It works with the HR44 in both IR and RF. I do not have any experience with the Tivo Peanut remote, so am unable to answer that question.

sportman13

carl6 The RC71 works with the HR34 Genie. do all buttons work for the receiver could you put in your tv codes

carl6

My personal experience with the RC71 is that I much prefer the older white DirecTV remotes such as the RC65 and older models. The RC71 is the only remote that works in rf mode with the HR44. It will NOT work in rf mode with the HR34 or any of the older H2x/HR2x series products.

The RC71 does work in IR mode with all DirecTV models, including the HR34.

The RC65 will work with the HR34 in both IR and RF mode. It will work with the HR44 in IR mode only.

The RC71 lacks several buttons that the older remotes have, for example there is no STOP button and PLAY and PAUSE are combined into a single button. It has a totally different button layout than the older remotes, so if you are used to the older remotes it will take some getting used to the RC71. It has a couple of rocker switches for volume and channel up/down which are nicer than the older remotes (except it is too easy to change channels and dump the buffer on live tv).

I have had very limited experience with the RC71 and putting in TV codes, but my experience is it does program to most TVs.