7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2013 1:07 PM by cancerkiller RSS

Genie DR plus HR23 in whole home setup

cancerkiller

If this has been answered elsewhere can you please point me to that thread.  I have searched with no luck which might be user error.  Thanks

I just got the whole home DVR set-up with the Genie.  Set-up is as follows -

Genie DVR - Living Room

MiniGenie - Kitchen

MiniGenie - Bedroom

HR23-700 DVR - Play Room

As set-up we are able to have up to 7 recordings and can access both DVRs as one list anywhere in the house.  The question I have is how is the space used?  At the moment the HR23 says it has 30% free space (we has this unit previously so it has recorded shows) and the Genie shows 99% Free Space.  My understanding is that they act as a single unit, but will the HR23 fill up before switching to the Genie - will the 30% get used before moving on to the 99% free on the Genie?  Or will the space show as a single unit once the sync is complete?  Currently the Genie is not completely synced with Directv (install was yesterday morning) and only shows part of the List (recorded shows) from the HR23 and the Queue on the Genie is empty while there are over 20 shows in the HR23.  I assume the list and Queue will be resolved when the sync is complete.

Thanks for the help.

• Re: Genie DR plus HR23 in whole home setup

Shows recorded on the HR25 are stored on the HR25. Shows recorded on the Genie are stored on the Genie. Data is not synced between the two. If you are at the HR25 and want to watch a show on Genie you are connected to the Genie via the Whole home connection to watch that recording. and vice versa. When you bring up the playlist you are viewing the playlist from both DVR's. Again part of whole home. If you are wondering why 99% remember the Genie has much bigger hard drive 1TB I think.

cancerkiller

Thank you for the reply.  When you say things recorded on the genie are recorded on the genie does that mean that something recorded on the genie mini is automatically recorded on the genie dvr?  For example, if we go to the guide on the genie mini in the bedroom and select The Walking Dead to record, it is recorded on the genie DVR and not the HR23?  However, when we look at the Series Manager, List, or the Queue, there is no distinction between the Genie DVR and the HR23 DVR? 

My concern is that we kept the newest of the HD DVRs that we had and upgraded the older one to the genie (never having had whole home activated before).  The HR23 has a long list of shows that my wife and I watch and want recorded.  When that HR23 disk is full, will the shows that were added to that list be continued to be recorded, stored on the genie or do we need to go to the guide on the genie and reselect those shows?  Does that make sense?  Do the Series Managers and Queues sync and use whatever space is available?  Or are the managers and queues kept separate?  If they are kept separate is there a way to direct a recording to one or the other DVR?

I think that makes sense.

Thank you for the reply.  When you say things recorded on the genie are recorded on the genie does that mean that something recorded on the genie mini(the minis do not have a hard drive so nothing ever gets recorded in the minis it is recorded on the genie)is automatically recorded on the genie dvr? ( For example, if we go to the guide on the genie mini in the bedroom and select The Walking Dead to record, it is recorded on the genie DVR (YES) and not the HR23?  However, when we look at the Series Manager, List, or the Queue, there is no distinction between the Genie DVR and the HR23 DVR? (Yes this is true. I do agree it would be nice to know). 

My concern is that we kept the newest of the HD DVRs that we had and upgraded the older one to the genie (never having had whole home activated before).  The HR23 has a long list of shows that my wife and I watch and want recorded.  When that HR23 disk is full, will the shows that were added to that list be continued to be recorded (NO. For more shows to be recorded some shows will need to be deleted from the HR23.), stored on the genie or do we need to go to the guide on the genie and reselect those shows(YES) ?  Does that make sense?  Do the Series Managers and Queues sync and use whatever space is available(NO) ?  Or are the managers and queues kept separate(YES) ?  If they are kept separate is there a way to direct a recording to one or the other DVR(Not that I know of) ?

So probably the best thing to do is record them on the genie then watch them on the TV connected to the HR23.

I think that makes sense.

peds48

Just to clear the confussion, to the system, the Genie and HR23 appear as two individual units that only shares the playlist.  series management must be done at each individual DVR.  "spillovers" will not record on the other DVR.