7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2013 7:31 AM by dcd RSS

Installing Genie Clients Myself

wperst

Directv said I can do this myself so I want to give it a shot. I recently upgraded to a genie main box and two clients. The genie main box was set up by the installer but the clients had to come in the mail. This was an upgrade so a new larger dish was placed on my roof and a splitter box was placed outside. All wires coming into my house come from this new box. Inside, the main genie box has a splitter before it, preceded by a black box with a couple of lights. Seaprately, the wires for the clients come directly from outside into a different part of my house, from the new box outside, and do not run through the inside gadgets I described. Because I had two wires running to my old box (for the double tuner) can I merely plug one of those each into each of my clients making access to two TVs? Do I need any additional gadgets like a spliiter or power box for those wires?

• Re: Installing Genie Clients Myself
    carl6

Is the Genie the only receiver/DVR that you have? (You are adding clients to a single Genie installation.)

If the splitter box outside is actually a splitter, then yes, you can simply connect one of the coax going to each client location to that splitter and hook up the clients.  It may be the outside device is only a ground block - a straight through connection, not a splitter. That is what is typically installed outside before coax enters the structure. In that case, you will need to add a splitter, which needs to be a green labelled DirecTV approved splitter.

You are correct, no additional power inserters or other devices are needed at the client locations.

wperst

I was just able to check (from a distance) the box outside my building. IT seems to say DTV 34AM 40-2150mghz multiswitch, where as the inside box is the green SWM box. Is that enough info to know what the outside box actually is? I appreciate it.

peds48

You cannot use DTV 34AM.  Do you have any other receivers?

dcd

As Peds48 stated, the DTV 34AM is not compatible with the Whole Home system.  If the Genie and the two Clients are your only receivers, then you need a splitter like the link, and the power inserter must connect to the power passing port (the red one).  The lead from the dish will connect to the single port and the three receivers will each connect to one of the lower ports.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=split4mrv&d=directv-sws-4-satellite-4-way-wide-band-mrv-compatible-splitter-(2--2150-mhz)&sku=185463000832

wperst

I will have the main genie and two clients (the genie is set up, the clients are not -- I still have one older DVR box set up, not HD, in the meantime). I have all three wires entering the house from the 34AM box. When the tech came he left the 34AM box outside but inside my house, at the wire prior to the new genie main box, he put that green box that you linked above. But I have two other wires also coming from the outside 34AM box directly to an older DVR box and these are the ones I wanted to turn into the new clients wires. Now I am curious if the tech did an incomplete installation in prep. It seems like all the wires would need to be split from the green splitter inside? Can the old wires still be used but additional green box(es) be added? It will be much more difficult actually if a tech comes and tries to run all the wires from inside and not use the other two wires from the outside. At this point it seems to me I need to understand whether the two other wires can be used as already run to keep them in their current locations rather than running new wires all over the place.

dcd

Unfortunately the "insert image" icon on the forums is greyed out or I could post a diagram of a typical installation, but here are the basics.  They are simple, but must be followed, no "jury rigging" will work with a Whole Home system.

A single wire comes from the SWM dish to a splitter (linked earlier).  From that splitter coax feeds to each receiver and the power inserter.  If a Internet connection is desired, a coax to an adapter is also run.  The device on the outside of your house is not used and is useless in the system.  Installers typically do not remove previously installed devices or wiring.  The clients must be connected to the Directv splitter, the same one the Genie is attached to.  If it has insufficient ports, an 8 port model is available.

peds48
    yes you can use the exixting wires, but thye must connect to the SWM splitter (s)