30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:52 PM by afriendly RSS

GenieGo Will Not Work on Latest MacBook Air?

bert-b

I just purchased the GenieGo box and installed on my iMac desktop, iPhone5, and the original iPad.  All work fine.

I went to install on my brand new MacBook Air with the upgraded 1.7GHz Intel Dual Core i7, the fastest processor available.

It does not work.

DirecTV tech support says it must be a 1.8GHz processor.  App doesn't care (or check) if it is dual core with turbo boost up to 3.3GHz apparently.

Can this be correct?  If so, the GenieGo app will not work with any of the current MacBook Air computers that were released in June, 2013.

• Re: GenieGo Will Not Work on Latest MacBook Air?
    litzdog911

What exactly is not working?  Error messages?

peds48

"it doesn't work" does not help us help you.  tell us what is going on

bert-b

Message is:

"We could not activate your DIRECTV Genie GO.  There was an error activating your GenieGo.  Please try Again or call Customer Service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the error code."

There is no error code indicated, but after being on for an hour with DIRECTV tech support we determined that in the bottom right corner of the screen there is a code:  GenieGo/102.  They had no answer other than what I said above, that since my processor is a 1.7GHz and not 1.8GHz they "think" that is the issue and the app won't install.

bert-b

Confirmed by DIRECTV:  GenieGo App cannot distinguish the performance of the new Intel chips used by the MacBook Air.  IT WILL NOT WORK UNTIL THERE IS AN UPDATE.  No commitment for an update or a timeline.  Case closed according to DIRECTV.  Very disappointing.

jfarmer

It's now October and I just got my GenieGO yesterday.  Super excited to try it out... and the wife and I both have MacBook Airs.    I stumbled upon this thread Googling the GenieGO "We could not activate..." message and am disheartened to see that it's been an ongoing unresolved issue for three months now.  I get the exact same error code as well (thanks for pointing out where to look!).

Works on our (very) old Dell laptop and on my wife's iPhone, though.  My Samsung Galaxy S3 is also not working though I really don't care abut that.  We leave for a trip in about an hour and we really were looking forward to being able to watch our shows from our room at the resort.  Gonna have to haul the Dell along this time, I guess.

babarf1bar

I just installed GenieGo with minor drama and it works fine on two droid devices (Samsung Note II phone & Galaxy 10.1 tablet), Win7 Pro PC, Macbook Air purchased in August (OS v. 10.8.5, 1.3 GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM). I'm fairly green with Mac OS but I've updated it a couple times since I've had the Macbook Air.  Hope this helps

freebird

I just bought a new Macbook Air (OS X 10.8.5, Processor 1.3 GHz, Intel Core i5).  I downloaded the Geniego app and it works great.  I did, however, originally register the app on another compatible device.  I originally installed the app on an old iPhone 3GS on which I had done a ********* (just to use it for this purpose). Long story about getting the app to work and make it mirror to a large screen TV, but I got it to work.  I then downloaded the Geniego app to my iPhone 4S with no problem, and it works fine.  I wasn't sure the app could be used on a PC or a Mac.  So I went to the various forums to see if this was possible, and was surprised to see how much trouble everyone was having with Geniego and Macbook Air's.  Last night I thought I'd give it a whirl to see what would happen.  I downloaded the app, it registered without problem, I opened it and saw everything I had on my DVR (Genie).  I downloaded a show and the playback was fine.  Maybe my experience is an exception, but it worked!  

bert-b

Possible solution found:  Start the Mac in Safe Mode (Turn off, Power On & Press the Shift Key until you see the Apple Logo and gray screen with the thermometer bar below).  Once booted in Safe Mode, open the GenieGo App.  It will activate and bring up the content. However, when I try to play content in Safe Mode, it gives the error that the DVR is busy and cannot stream at this time.  I rebooted into normal mode, launched GenieGo App again, and all works fine.  Note:  this is from inside my home, so I will test outside on another network and update.

By the way, no one from DirecTV suggested this solution.  I was having some typical installation issues with OS X Mavericks and had to start in Safe Mode to take care of them.  I thought to try Safe Mode with GenieGo as well.

bert-b

Latest update:  Will work outside home.  However, cannot download programs to the MacBook Pro.  It just keeps switching between "Downloading" and "Waiting to Download" and never does download.  Restarted in Safe Mode, and it will download.  Restarted normally, will not download.  DirecTV tech support has no answers for this.

bert-b

Final update:  DirecTV Support came back and said the GenieGo App is not supported on OS X Mavericks.  I explained that it is working fine on my 2009 iMac with Mavericks, but not my new 2013 MacBook Pro.  They said although Mavericks isn't "supported" it "may work on some configurations."  Only solution is to wait for new release of GenieGo App for which there is no time frame for release.  According to DirecTV, my case is now closed.  Incredible that they admit an issue, don't have a solution, so they can close the case. 

jfarmer

I got the GenieGo app to work on my wife's Macbook Air running Mavericks (she has the 11" one, I have the 13" model).  The reason I even tried was because as I noted in my previous post, I could not the get app to work on my Samsung Galaxy S3 either.  A couple week ago there was an update for the Android app so I tried it again, and lo and behold it worked!

I thought there might be a Mac app update, so I grabbed my wife's Air and installed the app (still the same version, BTW).  Worked on the first try.   My Air was at work, so I could not try until this evening.  Still a no go on my Air.   I uninstalled and re-downloaded the app to no avail.  Seeing bert-b's latest posts does not give me much hope this will be resolved in a timely manner, so I'll jsut wait for an app update.  I'm just lucky that it's working on my wife's Air, I guess.

Jimmie

blazeoc

Just so everyone knows I can't get this working on the latest 15 inch Macbook pro retina as well. Very frustrating.

afriendly

I am new to this forum but am having a different problem with the GenieGo App on both my new (Oct 2013) MacBook Air 13" and Generation 1 and Generation 2 iPads.  The apps open on all devices and usually connect and show the full list of recorded shows on the connected DVRs but when I try to download shows/movies I end up with only partial versions of the recordings.  The App takes the full time to "prepare" the shows and then "downloads" them quickly but when I open the recordings on the devices only about 10-15 minutes of the recordings have been transferred.

DirecTV tech support can't explain why this happens or what to do to fix it.

Also, although i can access the full list of recordings on the connected DVRs thru the Apps both inside and outside of the home, I have yet to be able to connect to stream the recordings in either locations.  I always get the error message that the DVRs are busy.

Anybody know how to fix both of these issues?

Thanks,

Andrew