25 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2013 8:44 AM by new2dtv RSS

Genie HR44-700 cannot maintain OnDemand Connection

cancerkiller

I just got the Genie HR44-700 installed on Friday.  It is connected wirelessly to an Asus RT-N66U router on the 5GHz channel with that channel locked at 40 MHz.  The router is connected to a SB6141 cable modem with 30 Mbps down/6 Mbps up.  On the network set-up page for teh HR44, the network has a strong signal (3 of the 4? bars filled - only top one is empty).  All of the system tests say everything is okay.  I can watch YouTube videos, listen to Pandora music, use the Apps without any problem.  When I try to select an ondemand show - stream live or record, I get a "Cannot connect to internet error."  Once and error code 104 was reported, but I cannot find out what that means. 

I can connect to the internet (am posting this) on the same 5 GHz wireless connection.  I can get a strong wireless signal setting this laptop on top of the genie so the range is fine.  As I said, I can do apps, YouTube, Pandora on it.  What am I missing for the on demand stuff?  I have tried several shows on different channels such as A&E, CBS, FX, Fox.  They all have the same issue.

Thanks for the help.

• Re: Genie HR44-700 cannot maintain OnDemand Connection
    cancerkiller

One more note - The HR23-700 DVR that is in a different room can do the On Demand Watch Now option without a problem.  There is something specific to the HR44-700 Genie that is a problem.

I am by no means an expert in this area. I assume since you have A HR23 you also have a DECA setup for wifi if so try disconnecting it as I believe the wireless wifi built into the HR44 takes care of your wifi. Do not remove the DECA from the HR23. If this is not your setup disregard as I am surmising.

cancerkiller

The technician did add an adapter the the HR23, but that was never linked to the wifi network.  It was simply connected inline to the directv cable to the HR23 and has an ethernet cable connected to the HR23 as well.  I assume that is a DECA, but I do not remember what the tech called it.  Can't see a label other that DirecTV on it.  At any rate, it was never added to the WiFi network.  I do not see it as an added device on the network. - If that helps.

Since I am in the 90 guarantee window, I called Directv and a tech is coming out Tuesday morning to check it out.  The general phone stuff went as described in the first post with speeds of 36 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up.

I will post what happens when this gets straightened out.

Ok. I do have one question when you press the - (dash) what does internet connection show? 104 I think is a general error not a directv error. From what I gather is it a Unable to connect to a server error which is what you are seeing. In some cases it is a blocking firewall. Doubt if this is your case as the HR23 works, however in this internet world anything is possible..

cancerkiller

Okay.  The technician came out and we did the following -

1 - a reset of the HR44

2 - switched the HR44 to be the primary receiver for the whole home DVR set-up instead of the HR23. (It may need to be the primary receiver for account.  I may have misunderstood the tech).

3 - a software update check, but the latest software was already on the HR44

Not sure why it was set-up with the HR23 as the primary instead of the HR44, but it is switched.  Now everything is working.  Oddly enough the HR23 and the HR44 can both do OnDemand simultaneously.  I did not have to change anything on the router or disable the firewall.

This was a stupidly simple solution.  The tech said he ran into an issue like this yesterday so I guess I was lucky it was that simple.

Thank you all for your time and help.  Hopefully some of this thread will be useful to others.

peds48

Wen you connected to the internet, did you get an 87 or 88 "successful" code

cancerkiller

new2dtv - If I press the - (dash) when?  If I do it to run the connection test, the test passes.  Does it show the internet connection if I do it when viewing a specific menu, or just watching a channel, push it and it shows the internet connection info?  I am at work so I will have to try it when I get home this evening.

The 104 error only happened one time and i ran at least 6 more tests after without it popping up again.  I never ran the test from the HR23 as that receiver worked.

peds48 - Yes i definitely got a 87 successful code.  I do not remember if I ever got an 88.

dcd

This "cannot watch now, would you like to record?" feature causes a lot of confusion as in this case.  Here's a rough description as to how it works.  The very first program you attempt to watch runs a speed test on your system.  If the speed test "fails" for any reason, the DVR remembers that and issues the message you are getting.  It eventually runs another test and if it passes, the "watch now" will become available.

Now the important part.  The "watch now" is simply a shortcut to watching the program as it records.  If you select the record option, press list, select the program and hit the play button, viola, you'll be watching now.  If you find the program runs all the way through without pausing, you're all set.  If it pauses to buffer, then you'll know that the wireless connection is not as firm as you thought and you might consider installing a DECA BB adapter and hard wiring your network connection.

cancerkiller

dcd - Thanks for the info.  I do understand that difference between the "watch now" and "record" options for on demand.  When the "watch now" fails, the program shows up in the list as "pending download" but it never actually starts downloading to the Genie (HR44).  I never get the "cannot watch now, would you like to record?" option.  The HR23 does everything.  I can watch now and it downloads the show.  I can "record" and it downloads the show.  Everything else as far as the WiFi connection works on the Genie.

Also as for the speed test, I reset the wireless network 2 different times on the HR44 (reselecting the SSID, reentering the passcode, etc.) which I would think would make it rerun the speed test, but it still failed even though all of the network tests were successful. 

dcd

The problem you must address is the Genie not downloading a program.  Try this.  Go to your "list" and delete any pending On Demand programming.  Then open your guide to channel 1239 and select a music concert and select the download (to the Genie) option.  If your system is running properly the record light will go on within one minute and the download progress bar will show the download in the "list".  If this does not occur, your Genie is not connected to the On Demand server.  On occasion, when the system signs you up one of the servers fails to get your account setup.  The easy way to force a new setup is to open your account online and change your password.  Wait a couple of hours, then change it back again.  This forces the system to send out your data anew.

dcd. Question. Isn't a DECA BB a bad idea since he already has a HR44 which has built in wireless Wi-Fi. The HR23 does work which is via the wireless Wi-Fi  connection in the HR44.  cancerkiller. Just pressing the - (dash) once while watching it will display the internet status. When you select on demand are you able to at least get a list of what is available to watch or download or the connect error..

dcd

I would recommend anyone disable the HR44's built in Wi-Fi and use the DECA BB instead.  I am not a fan of wireless connections within the Directv system.  As I see it, being connected to the Internet is not this posters problem, it's the fact that he is not connected to Directv's On Demand server, thus the endless "preparing to download".  The On Demand "guide" apparently comes from a different source as I have seen this identical problem numerous times in the past.

I am not a fan either. Fortunately I live in a ranch style house where distance is not a problem and do to circumstances I use wireless in some cases this includes Directv and so this has not been a problem for me.

cancerkiller

dcd - I agree it is a connection issue between the HR44 and DirecTV's servers.  I can see the OnDemand lists just fine and page through them in vaious ways.  It is just odd as new2dtv points out that the HR23 uses the same wifi connection as the HR44, but connects just fine. 

I can try to password change idea but again it will have to wait until I get home tonite.

As I mentioned above a tech is coming out tomorrow morning to look at the problem so hopefully there is something that can be done to correct it,some setting that needs to be changed.

Thanks for all the discussion.  It is helpful to learn how all this works.  I hate not being able to know what is going on behind the scenes with this stuff.

cancerkiller

peds48  When I set-up the connection I am getting an 88-135 result code.  Not and 87.  My Bad, I was going from memory.  The message says that "Your reciever is connected to DirecTV via the internet"

new2dtv When I press the - button the meassage says SWiM Connected, Internet:Connected.

Still cannot record or watch now with demand on the HR44.  HR23 still fine.

peds48

code 87 means that your router is blocking you Genie;s connection to the DirecTV servers.  try disabling any firewall in your router and try to connect again.  you MUST get code 88 in order to download from DOD