23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2013 10:18 AM by new2dtv RSS

GenieGo Issue

alanr65

The GenieGo works fine at home.  I have now tried it twice away from home.  It worked on my laptop but did not work on my Android Tablet.  When I got home the tablet worked fine.  Now I am about 160 miles from home and again it works on my laptop but not on my all-in-one PC. Have owned this thing two weeks and seems to have too many problems.  Came from 10 years at Dish and the sling worked great. Is this product just buggy?  Frustrating when it says can't find my GenieGo and laptop finds it just fine.  Anyone have some answers?

• Re: GenieGo Issue
    peds48

OOH streaming is NOT supported on Android yet

peds48

is not supported for Out of Home streaming.  It does work while in home

rsforkner

This is ridiculous! It almost constitutes fraud.  DTV needs to be up front with the fact that OOH does NOT work on Android. It seems we only find this out after we have paid our $100.

After almost 10 years I am very disappointed.

peds48

Android support should be coming soon

rsforkner

Thanks for the info. I know they are working on it or I would be on the phone with DTV.

Oh, and sorry for the rant. Just get really frustrated sometimes. I'm not upset with anyone on this board.

Bob

alanr65

Understand about android tablets but still doesn't answer my question on why my laptop is connecting to my GenieGo but my all-in-one pc computer is not.   I am currently 160 miles from home. Both are HP's and both are using Window 7.  Makes no sense.  My computer says cannot connect while my laptop shows all my recorded shows.  Now the other issue is I tried watching one of my recorded shows and the picture looks awful and it was recorded in HD.  My computer and laptop are showing excellent picture quality for Showtime Anytime and HboGo.  I think I only get 30days with Directv and the GenieGo and I can cancel without cost.  Finally, every time I log on to Directv site it asks for my updated email address.  I have emailed Directv to fix this since I have had the same email for 10 years with no response.  Seriously thinking about cancelling.

dcd

The GenieGO system delivers the programming in a reduced resolution so as to be available over a variety of slower networks.  The programming is not HD.  And, as for HBOGo and Showtime Go (and Starz etc) I just returned from a vacation where we watched numerous movies from all of the various providers and none of them provide HD either.  Action scenes in particular will get very blurry.  Note that if these systems were locked on a HD resolution, then they would all exhibit repeated pauses while the program buffer filled.

peds48

you must set up any GenieGo client in home before it can be used OOH

alanr65

The GenieGo was set up before we went on vacation.

I just watched HboGo.  It was a beautiful rendering where as the GenieGo was blurred, when it worked.  Other times it said optimizing video for 5 minutes then the screen just went blank.  I don't think that is right.

Remember your in home upload speed is a major player when it comes accessing the geniego from an outside location.

peds48

alanr65 wrote:

The GenieGo was set up before we went on vacation.

did it pass the OOH test?  and just to make sure, we are talking about a PC tablet right?

alanr65

My home internet is 20mg DSL, so it is very fast.  Directv upgraded me, through Century Link, when I joined.

I tried watching again yesterday from my HP 17" Laptop.  First tried Cedar Cove recorded Saturday from channel 312.  It would not even play.  Just got optimizing video for 3 minutes then blank screen.  Then I tried Motive which was taped last Thursday on ABC.  The video showed but the sound was terrible.  It was like rumbling during ever conversation, so unwatchable.  Then I tried Covert Affairs and it worked until I tried fast forwarding then I got your DVR is busy and cannot be used currently.

Bottom line is the GenieGo is not a go but a device that needs major work.  I don't recommend this device to anyone currently until they fix the issues.  Just wonder why I can go to Directv site, hit networks and watch The Glades on A&E or Hot in Cleveland on TVLand  with perfect results.  They seem to have perfected streaming there.  I will talk to the Techs when I get back but on a 1-10 I now give the GenieGo a -1!

Your 20 meg dsl is download speed not upload speed I would guess your upload speed is either 1.5 or 5. I also have Century Link and lately went from 1.5 to 5. From an outside location it is your upload speed that is critical. When streaming uploading is not involved. Also download speeds from outside locations generally are not very fast. In fact if I were I would go to www.speakeasy.net and run a speed test. Regardless it should not be near as bad as what you are seeing.

Just wonder why I can go to Directv site, hit networks and watch The Glades on A&E or Hot in Cleveland on TVLand  with perfect results. How are you watching these Directv App,  geniego or some other way? Also is this IH or OOH?

alanr65

Just going to the Directv website from my PC computer.  Go to Watch Directv,  networks and watch now.  Could do the same from my laptop.  Same as HboGO and Showtime Anytime.  Just go to there websites.  No apps needed from a desktop.

No idea what IH of OOH stands for.

OOH stands for Out Of Home. I assume you are doing this from home. If this is the case then your download speed comes into play. Also do run the speed test. When I signed up for Directv they also told me Century Link would change my speed to 20mb never happened did not care as I was 12mb. They did charge me $5.00 a month to increase my updoad from 1.5mb to 5.0mb.

peds48
    Curious to know where are you trying to use the GenieGo, there are certain places like Starbucks that block some ports and would pervent the GenieGo from working.
      alanr65

Was using the GenieGo in a private residence in Sun Valley.  Just got home and checked my upload speed which is 824 kbsp.  Tried GenieGo and all worked perfectly.  The problem is this equipment does not work from long distances.  From 160 miles away with the same upload speed from the exact same company and it worked like ****.  So there are problems with this item.  Has anybody had success from away from home having the GenieGo work correctly?

The upload speed is not factor at home as everything takes place in your network. Also from a remote location it is the download speed of Wi-Fi you are connected to since it is private residence I would say it plenty fast enough. In most case the download speed is always faster then upload.
        Internet speed is only as fast as the slowest link. The data may also go through internet hubs. Even at 824kb I wouldn't expect it to be that bad. I haven't used it that much, but what little I did it was fine. Still waiting on OOH for the android.

dcd

I would make sure there was no firewall or virus system in place on my router or modem.  I think your 824 Kbps is marginal.  Do you have a neighbor who would let you connect to their network so you could do some testing at home?  I just returned from vacation and I uses the feature in hotel rooms with slow wireless but I'm not sure of the actual speed.  I'm fortunate that my home connection provides over 11 Mbps upload.

Make sure that when you setup port forwarding in your modem you selected TCP.