8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2014 11:17 AM by litzdog911 RSS

Why can't I fast forward VOD?

mikisunshine

There are a couple of times I've fallen asleep in the middle of watching a VOD movie or tv show and want to pick up where I left off but can't because VOD doesn't permit fast forwarding. Why? To force me to watch an hour and a half of what I've already seen just so I can get to where I fell asleep? Or to make me sit through another 30 minutes of a show so I don't FF through the repetitive commercials? What good is VOD if its not convenient for me? Is this ever going to change or am I just going to be stuck with wasting my time?

• Re: Why can't I fast forward VOD?
    dcd

The restrictions you refer to occur only on the National Network channels and that is a condition they added.  You'll find the non Network channels do not have those restrictions.  Open your guide to channel 1239 and download a concert.  You'll like the control you have.

dj69

That makes sense when the show is only being watched as VOD in the first place but when the record series option can't keep up with delays in network programming, somebody's gotta help us out, please. We were watching the RECORDED second to last episode of Under the Dome which started late because of, I believe, a tennis match. I guess there's no cooperation between dtv and the networks because the recording remained at only an hour so we only saw 35 minutes of the actual show. We then went and downloaded the VOD version only to be disappointed that we had to watch the first 35 minutes again. NOT COOL.

peds48

Is always a good idea that every time a show is aired after a live sporting event, to add additional time by recording the following show(s)

dj69

Sure and I do that if I know there's a live event in time (I'll bet dtv does). I don't follow tennis and recording extra all the time doesn't work because a) that takes up extra room and b) There's currently no way to later trim the recording to make room.

peds48

and to be fair, the VOD "version" has "limited" commercials

shannon01

The networks control the servers that DTV access to download the content it is the networks putting the no FF restriction not DTV. 

litzdog911

The limitation on FF'ing only applies to some of the OnDemand channels, not any shows you record from the regular satellite channels, such as SyFy. 

carolinablutec

The 30 second jump is may favorite control. I never watch live shows and I start live sporting events an hour or so late so that I have enough "capital" to jump through the dozens and dozens of commercials. Life was improved significantly by The DVR and Internet Streaming.