25 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2013 3:46 PM by peds48 RSS

Slow Out of Home GenieGo Streaming

jgarcia540

Hello everyone, I just got my GenieGo to work so I'm very pleased about that. When I got it to work, I tried to stream a show and it worked great, no pausing or anything like that. Then I tried streaming away from home, that is when I experienced the pausing while the show is streaming.

My question is, is this pausing because of the download speeds of where I am at or is the upload speed not fast enough at home? I have ATT Uverse Internet Max with 12mb download and I think 1.5mb upload.

• Re: Slow Out of Home GenieGo Streaming
    peds48

When you are OOH, both speeds are at work.  you need at least 1 Mbps at home as your download  and of course a reliable download connection outside

peds48

Do a speedtest with your mobile device and see what you are truly getting outside.  the GenieGo stream is "adaptive, meaning that the picture quality will decrease in low DL conditions to allow to stream although I would say that 1Mbps would be the bare minimum

jgarcia540

I'm actually thinking of switching to from u-verse to infinity internet,

which offers 25 down / 5 up speeds. I wonder if the faster upload speeds

would help with the buffering and picture quality I see when im streaming

away from home. The first day I tried to stream away from home is when I

experienced the choppiness in the stream, which prompted me to post my

original question.Yesterday, I streamed a soccer match and it did not

pause/buffer at all, but the PQ was not great, granted that is was

broadcast in SD. Do you guys think faster upload speeds would help or will

it not matter because of the slow DL speeds when away from home?

peds48

yes, you should se a better pic quality but anything above 2 Mbps for the upload would not make a difference as tis where it maxes out

dodom30

Can you give opinion on quality of streaming on geniego outside of home?  We want to watch sports...football and basketball via streaming.  We tested with 896(?) CenuryLink upload speed and got a lot of pixels when people moved.

I will have to plunk down $99 for upgraded modem to get up 5mbps upload.  Before I do that, I was looking for opinion on quality at the higher speed.

peds48

First of all the geniego does not provide live streaming in case you were not aware.. It will play what is already stored in the geniego. Also  you can start a recording and immediately start watching it. Also FF is not allowed.

As for quality yes 5mb upload will help. However there is no definite answer on the quality do to overall connection speed. There other factors to consider. Your connection speed is only as fast as the slowest link. You may be in a location where the download speed is 1.5mb. This will be your actual transfer speed. There could also be a slow hub somewhere. Centurylink also charges $5.00+ every month for the increased speed. I know I went that route.

dcd

@newtodtv, You posted: "the GenieGO does not provide live streaming in case you were not aware.. It will play what is already stored in the GenieGO".  You have a bit of a misconception as to how this works.  The GenieGO used as in this instance actually streams the program from the DVR, through the GenieGO box and sends it out on the Internet to the receiving device.  It is not necessary to load the programming on the Genie.  It is of course necessary to load the Genie with programming you wish to copy to a PC.

I offer this as I've noticed that you are interested is offering advice and seem anxious to learn all about these complex systems.

dodom30

I appreciate everyone's help.  I want to help future Geniego users

understand that the device works great inside the home.  But, if you want

high quality "almost live" streaming, you will not get it with GenieGo.

You may also need to speed up your upload speed, and this may require

getting a new modem (which I would have to do with CenturyLink).

So, before getting GenieGo, recognize you will not get HD outside the home

and you may incur additional costs related to internet speed.

dcd

So near as I can tell none of the current streaming systems come close to providing HD quality.  I've run all of the GO systems, Netflix and the Genie from all over the country and resolution starts out as maybe 480 quality and goes down from there depending on connection factors and the action in the program.

Directv2PC does stream full HD resolution to the computer (no mobile devices) but those who have experience with this program know that it takes a top notch computer to handle the playback, and it's only available within the home LAN.

Thanks dcd  for bringing this to my attention. Bad choice of words should have used It will stream rather then it will play.

jgarcia540

Obviously for everything you stream, it should be in HD, especially sports.

I actually got the geniego to watch FC Barcelona games, but I only had the

SD version available.  It wasn't even worth trying to watch the game. Once

i added the sports pack, which gave me HD of that channel, it made a world

of difference. My upload speeds are at about 1.5 and I plan on getting

cable internet which should bump me up to 5 so hopefully it will only get

better.

Yes, the geniego does not do live streaming, but setting your recording and

being able to watch it with just being behind for a minute or so is close

enough for me. So far, im pretty happy with it.

peds48
    The above PIC were taking while using GenieGo.  I was gettign 3Mbps on cell network and I have 35Mbps as my upload at home
    peds48

The GenieGo only streams on SD regardless if the channel is HD.  also "upping" your upload wont help much as the GenieGo maxes out at about 1Mbps

peds48

I have already tried out since I've had the GenieGo for almost two years and I see no difference.  YMMV