15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2014 4:54 AM by peds48 RSS

GenieGO and Airport Extreme

wunrow

I just received a GenieGO and have had no success at setting it up with the app. I have tried the app on a PC and a Mac. When my installer spoke with tech support they left it as the issue resides with the fact I have an Airport Extreme for my wireless router. This has left me to figure out how to get it working since Directv apparently has washed their hands of it.

I have already added the GenieGO's MAC address under the DHCP Reservations and added the ports for 8082 and 8083. Looking for any other suggestions to get this to work.

• Re: GenieGO and Airport Extreme
    peds48

and what is not working. more details

wunrow

The tech told me that the GenieGO needed to be setup using a computer first. After logging into the app and attempting to add the device the following is the error that is returned: "You are missing one or more system requirements to activate your GenieGO. Please refer to the Quickstart Guide, Owners Manual, or visit www.directv.com/geniego for more information."

ohio.emt

I have the newest Airport Extreme and it set up just fine. It setup before I entered DHCP Reservation or port forwarding. I don't have any special set up on my router, just set up wifi when I started it up. Only special setting is that I also used DHCP Reservation with the Genie itself. I set it up on my laptop first, and had no problems with the iPad.

ohio.emt

I don't know what to tell you. Only other thing I can think of is the Genie set to allow external devices. Sorry for the big print copied from PDF.

Allow access from an external device:

- Go to Menu > Parental, Fav’s & Setup > System Setup > Whole-Home > External Device.

Also maybe

Share your playlist:

- Go to Menu > Parental, Fav’s & Setup > System Setup > Whole-Home > Share Playlist.

- Set Share Playlist to “Yes.

wunrow

So my issue was the fact that the tech dropped off the GenieGO versus Directv shipping it to me. The device doesn't get properly registered to your account when the tech brings it but for some reason Directv arms their techs with the device.

peds48

I have set up many GenieGo devices for customers without issues.  So it has nothing to do with "tech delivered" vs "Directv drop ship"

jpollone

"the issue resides with the fact I have an Airport Extreme for my wireless router."

Ha! Some of my of favorite responses from the junior techs are:

"The coax cable was loose and didn't have a good connection." (Especially after the technician from the previous day claimed  the same and tightened the connections.  I never realized coax had moving parts.)

"The stinger on the coax was out of spec."

"Your router isn't compatible with the Genie wifi, so let me install a DECA to connect an Ethernet cable."

dapatrone

I'm getting the same error messages. I have an ActionTec Router. Mine will not activate either using either my MacBook or my windows 7 laptop

peds48

Select firewall settings (top bar menu selection)-->"Do You Want to Proceed? (Select Yes)" --> Port Forwarding (left side navigation)

Under the "Create new port forwarding rule" dropdown, select the ip address (and/or hostname) of the GenieGO

Under the "Application to Forward..." dropdown, select "Custom Port"

HERE'S THE TRICK with this Actiontec router:

You must leave the Source Ports dropdown set to "Any" and ONLY change the Destination Ports dropdown to "Specify".  This is where you enter the TCP of 8082 & 8083 or whatever ports your GenieGO says under the system info.

Click on "Apply" to apply this change

dapatrone

I have the GT704WG Router. I have already opened the ports 8082 and 8083. Still didn't work. I'm thinking maybe something went wrong during the activation process and my GenieGo wasn't activated correctly? Is that possible?

teechur

I haven't seen this reply yet, so give it a go. I was setting up my Mac tonight and got the error message all ya'all are getting. I knew my Mac was up to date and met all the specs because I teach IT (even though I type words like ya'all and I am a girl flavored unit). I also know that networks don't like things like spaces in words and poor programming might give a bad error message. So I changed the name of my iMac from Super Spoiled to iMac and it worked.

"It doesn't work with the Airport Extreme" is such a copout. Packets is packets and if the port can be opened on the router, it doesn't matter who made the hardware.

peds48

teechur wrote:

"It doesn't work with the Airport Extreme" is such a copout. Packets is packets and if the port can be opened on the router, it doesn't matter who made the hardware.

Exactly.  Good words!