8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2013 7:34 PM by carl6 RSS

How to return equip?

roark

While cleaning up, we found a receiver we didn't know we had. How to return?

• Re: How to return equip?
    peds48

call DirecTV and ask if they want it back.  Chances are they dont.

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

dcd

As to your basic question, here is what occurs.  When you deactivate a receiver or DVR if Directv requires that it be returned, they will send you a shipping container and a return label, postpaid.  Without the return label (or a return number and shipping instructions) there is no way to ship anything back because with the huge volume of shipping, the warehouse must have some way to identify the contents of any package.

The older SD and HD receivers are often not required to be returned.

hmcm

I had a HR20-700 with a bad hard drive replaced with a HR24. I was told there would be a pre-paid shipping label to return the HR20. There was not. I guess the HR20 may be too old.

You are encouraged to recycle in one paragraph and warned about non-return fees in the next.

dcd

If I were told that a return was necessary and the box did not arrive I'd be on the phone to Directv to clarify the issue.  Folks that see a charge for a non returned HD DVR on their credit card are frequently not happy.

carl6

With regard to the comment about "You are encouraged to recycle ... and warned about non return fees..."

If you do not get a return kit, I would hold on to a deactivated receiver for three months. If I have not gotten a return kit, or a non-return charge by then, it is probably safe to take it to an electronic recycling facility.

Edited to mention only waiting if you don't promptly get a return kit.

hmcm

The online activation implied that I had to deactivate the old one at the same time. So I did.

I have contacted Customer Service to get a clarification on the issue.

carl6

You normally should not have to deactivate one receiver to activate another. But if the new receiver was a replacement for  particular unit that has reached end of life, or was defective, etc., then it would be expected.  Like peds48 asks, how old is the unit and what is the model number?

peds48

how old is this receiver?

what is the model of the receiver?

How long as this receiver been deactivated from your account?