14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2013 6:54 PM by peds48 RSS

Was my HR44 Installed correctly?

ano45

O.K. I have a new HR44 Genie HD DVR and two C41 mini adapters on two TVs.  My question is on the Internet connections. I have a wired Ethernet switch near the main HR44, so the installer connected the HR44 to the Internet, but from reading other posts it seems I might need a DECA adapter instead.

The main box can access the Internet and I can get VOD content, BUT the DirecTV web site says my Internet is not connected, my in-house iPad apps say I have no receivers in my house, and my PC reports I'm not authorized to watch any live TV on the DirecTV web site.  The TV's all seem to work fine.  Is this wired correctly, and if not, how do I fix it?

Thanks.

• Re: Was my HR44 Installed correctly?
    dcd

The HR44 can be connected directly to your router via Ethernet cable, so yes, you are wired correctly.  Press the HR44 remotes dash button.  Does the resulting message indicate Internet connected?  If yes you are all set Internet wise.  If not, here is the reset instructions.

Connect the Ethernet cable to
    the top or only port of the DVR and an open port on the router.
    Check that the router has DHCP enabled (essential) and has no firewall or MAC
    filtering enabled.  Do a red button
    (inside card door) reset of the DVR.  When it's booted up, do
    thus:   Menu -> Settings and Help -> Settings -> network
    setup -> restore defaults.  At this
    point stop and go to your router and disconnect AC power for a minute and plug
    it back in.  When all the lights settle down, go back to the DVR and run
    the "connect now" command.  You should get a "connected to
    Internet" message.  Allow 24 hours
    for the system to download then try downloading a music concert from channel 1239
    as a test.

ano45

O.K. When I press the dash on the main Genie and Remotes, it says I have Internet access.   I always could download VOD movies, the "Active" channel worked, etc.  But that just mean I can download, not that DirecTV can access my box.  Under Settings I went to Network and I ran a Communications Test. It failed. So I changed the port selection from Automatic to Manual.  On my router (Apple Airport Extreme) I set the IP address for the DirecTV box to a fixed IP.  I then forwarded the two ports it uses, 27177 & 27178 to that IP address.  I then reran the communications test and it PASSED.

I don't know if this fixed things because I hear over and over that DirecTV takes hours if not days to update things, but I'm optimistic.  I'll report back if it does fix the problems, which are the iPad not finding my DVR and the web page saying I don't have permission to watch anything.

Of course if this all fails to fix it, I do have a plan B guaranteed to allow me to watch ANY channel and ALL recorded TV on my computer, iPad, iPhone, anywhere in the world.  Its called a Slingbox.  (Something that DISH discovered a long time ago.)

peds48

There is currently an issue with the DirecTV mobile apps. DirecTV is aware and is working to correct this issue

mrtyler10

ALL hr 44 have built in CCK adapters no ethernet needed if wireless router in the home using ethernet with the whole home system You will loose internet fuctions or whole home with genies internet is lost can not have both going with ethernet connections at this time  need to remove the Ethernet fromt he back on receiver and use the wireless setup Call 188-531-5000 to set up>>>>

dcd

That is inaccurate info.  The HR44 can be set up with a wired Ethernet connection OR wireless, with wired being the preferred method.  The OP has a router adjacent to the Genie so they used wired.

To the original poster.  When you saw the "Internet connected" in response to the dash button you should have left well enough alone.  The dash is a definitive test and a bit of patience would have brought all the ancillary features into operation.

peds48
      This si totally wrong!!!.  you van indeed connect the HR34 or HR44 to the router via ethernent cable.  see dcd's post above
        mrtyler10

Ethernet connections disable whole home or internet features without CCK in the home no ethernet should be used without a wired cck if using Ethernet !!!!! thus the Wireless CCK in the HR 44 should be used or CCK wired connect tot he router int he home no direct connections with ethernet should be connect to the receiver

dcd

You are misinformed when you post this: "Ethernet connections disable whole home or internet features without CCK in the home no Ethernet should be used without a wired cck if using Ethernet !!!!!"

Your statement is true for the HR-2X DVRs but is not true for the HR34 and HR44.  Both of those can be connected to the router directly from the Ethernet port on the Genie and a port on the router.  No DECA BB adapter is required, but can be used if one prefers.

peds48

Again, incorrect.  this thread is about Genies and as dcd mentions, it is perfectly OK to connect ethernert to the Genie without disturbing WHDVR.  This is on page 15 on your book

mrtyler10
            • Note:Never directly connect the router by Ethernet cable to a Whole-Home setup or an H25. 
              • Direct connection disables service.
              • For Whole-Home or  an H25 to connect to the internet, a CCKmust be used.
              • AAC
              peds48

why you keep arguing with this non-sense???  This is a known fact that the Genies can be connected via Ethernet WITHOUT disturbing WHDVR.  This is the problem with you guys, you read from the script and believe that that is written is stone.  We are telling you the facts, regarding what page 137 of your book says!!!!

ano45

I have an HR44. It its directly connected to my router with wired Ethernet. I also have two Genie C41 mini clients. I have no other connections to the Internet.  All Internet functions work great, the mini clients work great, the tablet apps. can find the receiver from Wi-Fi, the web page can play TV programs. Every Internet function and all clients work perfectly. I even have a DECA adapter connected to the cable in one room which connects to an Xbox 360 and that works great.

Hopefully this will put to rest that it doesn't work, because it works great.

peds48

ano45 wrote:

I even have a DECA adapter connected to the cable in one room which connects to an Xbox 360 and that works great.

Hopefully this will put to rest that it doesn't work, because it works great.

ohhhhhh, Don't mention that, he's having trouble comprehending the first issue, now throw this is and he's lost

ano45

When I had the HR44 system installed and I couldn't want TV on the iPad or iPhone app. because it said my receiver couldn't be found on the network, when my account web page reported my HR44 wasn't connected to the Internet, and when I couldn't watch live or VOD TV on a web browser, I just assumed that the problem was the installation.  I was wrong. Everything was installed correctly.

Upon more investigation, I found out that these advertised features of "TV Everywhere" actually don't work for any or at least many people with an HR44.  The best answer I get is that they know about the problem and they are working on it.  I think if it isn't working by the time my next bill is due, I will take some money off my bill, and I'll write a note that says, "I have not paid the full amount due. I am working on this problem and will fix it as soon as possible."