6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2013 3:10 PM by larry1301 RSS

picture delay between genie and client

larry1301

I just upgraded to Genie and have one of the mini clients in the same room as the genie. When I have 2 tvs on the same channel, the mini client tv is about 3 seconds behind the tv on the genie.

I can't watch TV without captioning but its distracting for sports so sometimes I will have the game on the main tv without captions and on the client with captions. Before upgrading I had a HD DVR and a HD receiver and there was no lag.

Is this normal?

• Re: picture delay between genie and client
    peds48

Perfectly normal since the Genie is streaming through the network from the Genie

larry1301

I think I understand this a little better. I don't believe that this is caused by streaming. Streaming speed should be around the speed of electricity, which is around the speed of light so that isn't causing a 3 second delay.

I have watched this on my TVs and there is no consisitent delay. I actually have 3 TVs in my Living Room (watching fall football is fun - no need to go to a bar to see the all the games I want). Today I have the same game on all three TVs; My Genie HD DVR on a 55" Samsung, a Genie client on  a 46" and a Genie  client on a 40". The client on the 46" is actually in another room and uses an HDMI splitter to feed a TV in that room as well as the 46" in the LR.

You would think that the 46" would be the slowest as it is further away and goes through a splitter. Not so today. The delay on the 46" is about 1 second today and the delay on the 40" is about 3 seconds today.

What I believe is happening is the HD DVR is buffering the stream to each of the clients and that is the reason for the delay. Buffering is an understandable delay. I couldn't get my head around streaming being the cause of the delay.

Since I want to watch a game on the 55" and watch the captions on one of the others, I think the only alternatives would have been to keep one of my HD receivers and use it rather than a client. I wish I had know about this before so I could have kept one of the receivers.

peds48

larry1301 wrote:

I think I understand this a little better. I don't believe that this is caused by streaming. Streaming speed should be around the speed of electricity, which is around the speed of light so that isn't causing a 3 second delay.

Not sure where you got that from.  but in order to stream you have to have buffer to stream from

shannon01

Each TV takes a different amount time to process the signals so they will never be 100% in sync.

dcd

You posted: "Before upgrading I had a HD DVR and a HD receiver and there was no lag."  The receiver had it's own tuner so it was displaying a "live" broadcast same as the DVR.  The Client has no tuner so it plays the program from one of the DVR's tuners, and the lag is due to the system allowing a buffer to build as Peds48 pointed out.  Here's a rough work around.  On the DVR put the game to record then play back the recording.  Fast forward so you get as close to real time as possible.  Then set the Client to play the recording as well, and again fast forward to real time.  You can then make small adjustments by pausing one or the other so the CC matches the spoken description.