20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2013 11:42 AM by dcd RSS

Network Connection problem

mikepatt

So I have reviewed numerous posts, and have tried numerous suggestions, to no avail.

I have 2 HR24 HDDVR's, and one HD receiver (not sure the number, but its not having the problem).

I have Whole Home Service, with a Cinema Connection Kit.

I have a Lynksys Wireless Router, but the CCK is connected with an ethernet cable.

The CCK is wired with Coax to the switch near the dish, and the coax is carrying the internet signal to each of the three receivers.

Two of the receivers (one of the HR24's and the non-dvr receiver) both connect to the internet and whole-home service just fine.

The third receiver, an HR24 as well, will not connect. 

I have tried restoring the defaults on the network setup

I have tried red button resets

I have tried resetting the router

I have tried Satellite Setup

I have tried all of these things in different order, and nothing gets the second HDDVR to connect.

Could I have a bad HDDVR? 

Is it possible there is a problem with the coax running from the dish to this one DVR?  The Satellite signal is fine.

Please Help!!!

Thanks,
Mike

• Re: Network Connection problem
    rolls

when trying to get it to work, do you come across any error messages? or can you simply not see the hr24 on the network?

Edit: also please run a system diagnostic please, in order to do that press and hold info for around 5 seconds, then select run diagnostic test, what is the code that appears?

if getting to it with the info button fails go to menu > settings and help > settings > info & test > run system test

mikepatt

When I try to connect it says: We were not able to connect to the Internet. Would you like to get connected?

Result code: 86-148

When I go through the "Get Connected" process, I get: "A problem was detected. Press SELECT to find out more.

IP Address:         169.254.8.147   OK

Subnet Mask:      255.255.0.0      OK

Default Gateway:  -                      -

DNS:                   -                      -

Network:              Coax Not Connected (9)

Internet:               Not Connected (13)

Result Code: 86-148

Same thing happens if I select "Try Again"

rolls

Interesting, make sure you dont have any DECA's on the back of the receiver, they look like rectangle boxes that have a blue Ethernet cable, infact make sure nothing is connected to the ethernet port on the back of the receiver. and make sure the CCK coax has the green lights.

edit: also make sure you dont have something called iYogi on your computer. but it would most likely cause problems with all of them, but still good to check

dutch55

mikepatt,

Once you have done what rolls suggested, you can swap the working and non-networking DVRs and see if the problem stays with the location or moves with the DVR.

mikepatt

So, I switched the receivers, and guess what...both work.  Strange.

So I decided to switch them back, and then the problem receiver didn't work again.

So I switched them again, and both work again.  So weird.  So I don't know if its the receiver, the cable, or something else entirely.  I am leaving them switched for now, its just a pain, since one TV is HD and the other isn't, and while we have whole home service, the family records certain shows on certain DVRs, and its a bit of a pain to switch them.  But we will deal with it.

mikepatt

No DECAs and yes, green lights are on.  No ethernet cable in the back of the HR24.

No iYogi either (never heard of it)

Dutch, I think I will give that a shot, but maybe not until tomorrow.  I will let you know after what happens.

I take it, if the one that works doesn't and the one that doesn't now, ends up working, it is the cable, and if they stay the same, then it probably is the receiver.

rolls

also might wanna just call in to tec, because in the end they will try to trouble shoot it, which will go over almost all of this already, just to insure that you do it before replacing it or sending someone out

kazz

mikepatt wrote:

When I try to connect it says: We were not able to connect to the Internet. Would you like to get connected?

Result code: 86-148

When I go through the "Get Connected" process, I get: "A problem was detected. Press SELECT to find out more.

IP Address:         169.254.8.147   OK

Subnet Mask:      255.255.0.0      OK

Default Gateway:  -                      -

DNS:                   -                      -

Network:              Coax Not Connected (9)

Internet:               Not Connected (13)

Result Code: 86-148

Same thing happens if I select "Try Again"

The IP address displayed above reflects a reserved IP address the device gave itself because it's DHCP request for an IP address did not receive a proper DHCP reply.  That implies it cannot reach the router (or whatever device) that gives out IP addresses via DHCP on your network.  Also, the Default Gateway is blank meaning it knows of nowhere to go to find anything other than on it's own network.  That means it cannot get out to the internet.  Normally, both the IP address and Default Gateway come from the DHCP server.  The short version is that the above receiver can't see your network.

Do you know which device supplies IP addresses on your network?  Normally it would be your router.  Whichever device it is gives out DHCP addresses from a pool.  Each device gets a 'lease' for using that address.  Each lease is good for a certain amount of time.  If you have enough unique device requests on your network and your DHCP pool is small enough you may run out of devices.  I would suggest reviewing what IP addresses are on your network to see if they're using up your entire pool.  You can change the pool size in your DHCP 'server', again whichever device that is on your network.  You could also assign IP addresses from outside the pool to your devices to avoid that problem with those devices.  Not that you will need to include the Default Gateway for those devices, as well since that information is also provided by the DHCP server.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not familiar enough with the DECA/CCK configurations DTV uses.  I just use standard ethernet cabling for my WHDVR services.  But I assume your in-home router is what gives out IP addresses via DHCP and not the equipment that came from DTV.

mikepatt

I use a Cisco Router that handles the IP addresses.  I suppose it could be what you suggested, but I am not sure how to go about increasing the pool.  I also don't understand why it would just be this one receiver that has issues.  It had issues before we added a third HD receiver, without the DVR, and that third receiver doesn't have any issues, just this one.  It lost its connection again a couple of days ago, and I couldn't get it reconnencted for a while, then yesterday, after having the receiver unplugged for a bit, it connected after rebooting.

kazz

You could always set the IP address yourself, along with the Default Gateway.  Just don't use an IP address that's in the pool.  Or find your router's documentation and increase the pool.  Mind you, that will reset the router and you'll drop internet, etc. connection until it's finished rebooting.

dcd

Before you request a service call, try this.  Disconnect AC power from the problem DVR.  Then disconnect AC power from the router.  Wait a minute or so then plug the router back in.  After all the router lights settle down, re power the DVR.  After it's booted up, press the dash button on the remote.  It should indicate Internet connected.  If so, you're all set.  If not, then call for service.

rabidusdecorus

Has the internet ever worked with the receiver? If not, did this receiver replace an SD receiver. If so, make sure you removed the Bandstop filter, either at the back of the receiver or the wall plate.

mikepatt

A little more background:

A year ago we upgraded from one HD-DVR (HR20) and a SD DVR with no whole home service to the two HD-DVRs (HR24) with whole home service.

The internet worked mostly fine on both, but whenever there was a software update, the problem occurred.  I called tech support a few times.  The first time, they switched out the CCK.  The second time the tech reset both DVRs at the same time, and it worked.  After that I was usually able to reset the receivers and get them connected again.  The last time it took a few extra tried and I even tried resetting the router, and this seemed to work.

Yesterday, we added the third receiver, the HD Receiver, non DVR.  It is able to connect to the whole home service, but could only view the programs on the one that was connected.  Now, after switching the two DVRs (see reply post above), I am good to go, but for how long?

So yes, the internet has worked before, but does drop out occasionally when there is a software update, or the receiver gets powered down.  There is no Bandwidth converter on there.

rabidusdecorus

Not a BBC, a Bandstop filter. Either way if its working or has worked the bandstop filter is not installed. A bandstop filter is for SD receivers, it stops the internet/whole home signal from going into the receiver, and cause sfss

mikepatt

So, we had a firmware update last night, and SURPRISE, no internet connection on the problem receiver.  So switching the receivers didn't work after all (not sure why it was working after the switch, but it was).  It is the receiver, not the cable, since the receiver that was moved to the room where it wasn't working does connect, but the receiver that wasn't connected in the first location now doesn't connect in the other location.

I have tried resetting the receiver. 

Next I tried unplugging the receiver and unplugging the router, and that actually worked.  They are both connected again.  Any idea why this happens when there is a firmware update?

ijusthelp

The internal deca on that receiver is probably bad. This doesn't happen often, but after reading the thread, I do not see anything else that it could be.

Although I have seen low frequency barrels in a wall plate create this issue. But I have also seen it work with them...

Easy check for that is to remove the cable from the plate and check to see if it is blue or orange, if it is either of them, then you have a high frequency barrel. white or clear is low.

dcd

Quote "Next I tried unplugging the receiver and unplugging the router, and that actually worked.  They are both connected again"

Here's why this works.  When you connect AC power to a Directv HD box, it searches for a router connection.  If it finds none, then it will assign the 169 IP address you saw previously.  From that point on the box will not be connected to your network.  If you disconnect AC power from the box, then the same for your router, it will clean up the router's configuration.  When you finally plug the receiver back in, it will again seek a router connection, and the router's DHCP system will properly configure the IP data.

All of this shows why it's essential to have receivers fully connected to all inputs before you connect AC power.

mikepatt

Well, it may have worked this time, but it wasn't the first time I tried it, and it didn't work the first several tries.  Maybe I didn't leave it disconnected from the power for long enough, but I did for a minute or so, and it still didn't connect.

Anyway, final update:

I have the protection plan, so I called tech support and after explaining everything for a very long time, they finally relented and decided to ship me a new receiver.  I got it yesterday and it connected with absolutely no trouble at all.  Old piece of junk is going back.

Thanks all for your attempts at helping.  Hopefully there will be no issues down the road with the new receiver.