17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2013 12:07 PM by plmcmm RSS

TV Apps load and run on receiver #2 but not #1

plmcmm

The whole home DVR receiver 1 displays the "loading TV apps" message for about 10 seconds, then disappears on Receiver 1.
If I go to the Living room, which is fed by receiver 2, the TVapps load and run A-OK.

It's a wireless conection to my router furnished and installed by DirecTV. Why do they load on the second part of the split receiver and not on the primary one?

• Re: TV Apps load and run on receiver #2 but not #1
    litzdog911

What models are each of those Receivers?  Have you tried resetting the Whole Home DVR?

plmcmm

Reset was done a day or so ago. The Receiver 1 is Model: HR24-100 and 2 is H24-200 ganged as a "whole-home DVR."

Apparently, the "receiver's automatic network connection is a bit shaky. It listed 198.162-1-3 as the first connection; A few minutes later, it changed to 198.162.1.5.

I took it of auto, added an RJ11 connection between the DTV receiver 1 and the DTV network box. I manually configured the connection, added the wireless pword and key and all is well.

Wife likes the weather app but loves the NFL box score app. She thinks I'm a genius...

peds48

plmcmm wrote:

She thinks I'm a genius.......

that is until you want to play a show on your HD receiver.

You cannot use the HD DVR's ethernet port for internet connectivity when you have Whole Home DVR Service. The only way to get internet connectivity with a DECA-based WHDVR setup is using DirecTV's Cinema Connection Kit. This provides the installer with a Broadband DECA Adapter and power supply that will bridge the WHDVR network (DECA coax) with your home network/internet (ethernet

plmcmm

If by “show” you mean a BluRay video, no problem.  She doesn’t watch them.  I have a few which I enjoy in the other room on the big Sony.  

BTW both the coax DTV connector cable and the RJ11 are connected.  No problems so far that I can see.

Thx for the advice.

plmcmm

Peds wrote… “You cannot use the HD DVR's ethernet port for internet connectivity when you have Whole Home DVR Service”

Plm replies, “Yes I can.”  After being gone for a while, I read your note.

I started both TV’s.

Opened DTV Apps on both TV’s. 

Recorded a program from each TV. 

Played the recording from the DVR on Both TV’s. 

I’m about to watch “Major Crimes” which I tagged last night from receiver 2 to record to the DVR in the other room.

I learned long ago as a SR Sys Analyst,  tell me what the stuff is designed to do if you want.  However, I don’t pay your time charges until you DEMONSTRATE that it will –OR won’t - do what you say.

Wish I had a dollar for every time one of my techies said, “It should work now…”  And the crestfallen expressions I saw when I stopped him and said…”Don’t go. Show me…”

peds48

no, you wont be able to use WHDVR if your HR24 HDDVR is connected via ethernet.

dcd

Connecting ANY RJ45 to a HR24 will disable the Whole Home DVR function.  You can prove this to byourself by going to the H24 and attempting to play a program that is recorded on the HR24.

peds48

Just telling you the facts.  Not going to argue that the Earth is  round!

plmcmm

No argument intended because it is not needed. One fact  is incontrovertible - my whole home DVR operates with both coax and RJ11 net connections simultaneously installed.

If it weren’t working properly, I’d still be on the forum looking for answers.

Thanks to all who provided assistance.

dcd

Please understand the both Peds and I have been answering posts to the forums for several years and when he says that connecting a Ethernet cable to a HR24 will crash the Whole Home system he speaks the absolute facts.  This was built into the HR24 model DVR's on purpose, here's why.

If a Whole Home DVR system uses either the wireless CCK-W or the DECA BB adapter to connect the system to a router, then the Ethernet circuits within the DVR connects to a ninth "channel" within the coax used for network streaming.  If you connect an Ethernet cable to the HR24's port, it disconnects the internal adapter and disables the Whole Home system.

Now, in order for that transition to take place, the Ethernet cable must be connected to the HR24's port and a red button (inside card door) reset performed in order to force the HR24 to make the switch.  I'm suspicious you did not do the reset, thus the port is not actually connected to the HR24.

I would suggest you do a reset with the cable connected then go to your receiver and see if you can play a recording from the DVR.  If you can then your HR24 has undergone a change that I can't explain.

plmcmm

DCD - Appreciate your dedication to helping the DTV community. 

As a retired Sr SysAnalyst, I’ve been where you are. Knowing the parameters under which I designed and coded a system to function, yet faced with a user who has co-opted it to “do what cannot be done.”  Such is the case here.  And, “Yes,” I did the reset.

I’d be happy to either video the equipment plus  screen results or to receive a visit from a DTV techie, if interested (Only one proviso – the hands stay in the pockets ).

When I say I have both connections made and the whole home DVR works better than ever, i.e., faster, I’m being factual.  Why make it up?  Like my wife’s going to quit asking me about it…?

As maintenance funding for older equipment took a backseat to emerging technologies, I often received such results with a “Gee whiz!” response.  And I learned to quit replying to end-users in the concrete.  I know what it is not supposed to do, but somehow it’s doing it anyway.  As long as my data wasn’t corrupted, I just filed it away for one of my technicians to check on in spare time.  Or not.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

rabidusdecorus

I had my Wireless Cinema Connection Kit hooked up with both coax and ethernet when I was first installed (it was done by the Technicians Trainee). It worked great for about a month, then I kept getting the message " Living Room has been disconencted from the network". I had to remove the ethernet and reset the receiver. Haven't gotten that message since.