13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2013 11:54 AM by peds48 RSS

DVR playlist folders

devalbergs

How do I create folders within my DVR playlist so I can group similar shows?

• Re: DVR playlist folders
    carl6

No way to do that. An often requested feature that DirecTV to date has chosen not to implement.

Depending on the model of DVR you have, there are some Playlist options. Press LIST, then Options (possibly yellow button), and you can see different ways to sort your playlist. That's the best you can do.

litzdog911

Nice idea.  Be sure to send your suggestion via email directly to DirecTV. They won't see it here.

jhbalsley

When you record the same show on multiple channels your playlist will perform this action for you.

For instance:  I have a folder for the TV show "Community" which airs on NBC.  This weekend Comedy Central began airing "Community" reruns.  When the episodes recorded they were added to the existing "Community" folder.

peds48

Right, but he OP said "similar" not the "same" show which is not possible

jhbalsley

I misread it.  Correct, that is not possible.

You may clarify "similar" should you suggest it.  (Personally, I've never had success with suggestions, but to each their own.)  Similar as in genre, channel, writers/directors, actors, year aired, etc.?

dcd

(Personally, I've never had success with suggestions, but to each their own.)   Amen to that.  I don't recall ever seeing a poster who made a suggestion for a particular feature get a response to wit "Great Idea, the engineers are working to implement your idea".  You need to understand that a big company has a team who do nothing but dream of ways to make these receivers more attractive and efficient than the competition and they have likely thought of most every possible feature.

We started using the "email your suggestion" so as to not put the poster down, let Directv send him a nice reply thanking him.

jhbalsley

It would be nice if they'd recognize useful and helpful suggestions, at least once in a while.  A man can dream.

I completely understand.  It's just unfortunate.  Having worked for a larger company, I'm all too familiar with decision makers disconnect from employees and customers.  There's a reason businesses conduct market research studies and shows like "Undercover Boss" exist.  When you provide a service it should cater to customers needs and wants.  In my opinion, customers' first hand experience, feedback and suggestions is just as valuable as these idea people.  Yes, the idea people are valuable and there are plenty of concepts, decisions and ideas within the industry/field they're needed for.  At the same time, if their technology, equipment, features, etc. aren't what customers need/want, then it's all for naught.

peds48

jhbalsley wrote:

When you provide a service it should cater to customers needs and wants. 

obviously is very hard to try to please 30 million subscribers

jhbalsley

Like I said, I worked for a larger company than DirecTV, I understand. 

Regardless, my point is customers' and employees' insight is valuable.  30 million heads are better than dozens of idea people.  There are plenty of ideas to improve customers' experiences from customers themselves to DirecTV and/or third-party company employees with ideas how to improve ways to provide service to/for customers.

dcd

You may not be aware that Directv has an extensive customer testing and feedback network.  However, this is a technical help forum designed to assist customers with problems.  The points you make have been heard by Directv long ago, you're just in the wrong website in order to see the efforts in action.

jhbalsley

I am aware, that's why I said "There's a reason businesses conduct market research studies and shows like "Undercover Boss" exist."

They've been heard long ago?  Would you care to prove this or should I consider this an outlandish statement?

dcd

There are a number of users at dbs.com that do consulting and there is a group there that also tests new releases etc.  The website has been in existence for several years. 

peds48

The Web site dcd refers to is www.dbstalk.com