15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2013 9:00 AM by dcd RSS

Upgrading to Genie - Order of operations?

duff735

I currently have two HD DVRs plus three HD receivers for a total of 7 tuners. I recently found out I was eligible to upgrade to Genie and today I received my new receivers: Genie + 4 minis.

My question is, do I need to worry about what order I install these in to avoid going over the 8 tuner limit? I.E. if I swap out the Genie with an existing DVR that would temporarily put me at 10 tuners until I finish the rest of my installs.

I'm assuming the main Genie unit has to be installed first? Or can I swap out my existing HD receivers for the Genie minis first and then worry about the DVRs last?

Last stupid question. If I install a Genie mini BEFORE I install the Genie head unit, I know it won't be able to watch live TV without the head unit, but will it be able to watch recordings from my existing DVRs until I remove those?

Some of you dads out there probably see where I'm going with this. I want to install the system as seamlessly as possible while still allowing the family to continue to at least watch their recordings until I get the whole thing up and running.

• Re: Upgrading to Genie - Order of operations?
    peds48

are you keeping your current equipment while adding the Genie and clients?

If you go over the 8 tuner limit, you MUST upgrade to a SWM16 switch with a legacy 4 output LNB.

Note that the Genie minis will not work at all without the Genie and the Genie can only stream up to the clients at the same time

ano45

Maybe a stupid question, but can't you install everything at the same time? My whole system took make 2 1/2 hours to install and that includes the dish.  Send the family to the mall for a few hours and it will be complete.

The Genie minis won't work until the Genie is installed. That is it's server. Without a server it won't do much.

dcd

Disconnect AC power from all current receivers and DVRs.  Install all the new equipment, make the coax connections, connect the router if using hard wire.  When everything is in, power up the power inserter, the power supply to the CCK if using one, then power up the Genie and the clients.  As the Genie boots up, the clients should find the Genie server.

peds48

Yup, the system must be install as a whole

duff735

Was having some trouble replying to posts last night. Appreciate everyone's advice. I installed the entire system in about an hour last night while the wife and kids were out.

Only problem I'm having, I can't seem to program my new Genie remotes to operate my TVs. I select to program the remote and it takes me to the IR/RF programming screen instead, and no matter how many times I complete that step it never lets me proceed to program the remote for my TV. Any suggestions?

Fortunately, the old remotes work (and I actually like them better) but I think I'm going to have to return those with my old equipment.

peds48

Recommended process for setting up the RC71 remote for the HR44

Pair RC71 to HR44

∎ When the Remote Setup screen appears

∎ Select Begin remote setup

∎ Arrow down and select IR/RF Setup

∎ Select RF Setup (Note: use of IR mode with remote may not support all TV

functions)

∎ Follow the on-screen instructions to pair the RC71 in RF (Read the

instructions carefully; you must press ENTER, which is different from the

RC65)

Program RC71 for TV (RC71 must be in RF mode to program to a TV/AVR)

∎ After RF programming to the TV is successful select Program Remote

∎ Select Program TV

∎ Select TV make

∎ Select TV model (If model is unknown select “I Don’t Know My Model”)

∎ Try Volume or Input to ensure the correct code is selected

∎ Select “It Worked” when TV responds

Program RC71 for AVR (RC71 must have a TV setup first)

∎ If customer is using an AVR for audio, select Program Audio Device

∎ Enter AVR model or I don’t know my model (Note: some audio devices

might not be supported resulting in a transmission failure)

∎ Select Lock Audio device to AVR (Audio now controlled via AVR, need to

reset audio setting to move back to TV)

To change volume back to TV:

∎ Hold Mute+Select until LED blinks twice

∎ Press 9-9-3

∎ Press Volume Up

∎ Volume is now locked to TV.

To lock volume back to AVR:

∎ Hold Mute+Select until LED blinks twice

∎ Press 9-9-3

∎ Press Volume Down

∎ Volume is now locked to AVR

Recommended process for setting up the RC71 remote for the C41

Pair RC71 to C41

∎ When the Remote Setup screen appears

∎ Select Begin Remote Setup (Do not select Program Remote!)

∎ Arrow down and select IR/RF Setup

∎ Select RF Setup (Note: use of IR mode with remote may not support all TV

functions)

∎ Follow the on-screen instructions to pair the RC71 in RF (Read the

instructions carefully; you must press ENTER, which is different from the

RC65)

Program RC71 for TV (RC71 must be in RF mode at this point)

∎ After RF programming is successful select Program Remote

∎ Select Program TV

∎ Select TV make

∎ Select TV model (If model is unknown select “I Don’t Know My Model”)

∎ Try Volume or Input to ensure the correct code is selected

∎ Select “It Worked” when TV responds

Program RC71 for AVR (RC71 must have a TV setup first)

This feature currently not supported on the C41)

carl6

Before you send back the old equipment, one thing to keep in mind. You mention the Genie and 4 clients. Only 3 clients can be used at any given time. If you will need all of your tv locations active simultaneously you need to keep one of your old units instead of the 4th client.  You can run a mixed system with no problem, again just be careful not to exceed the 8 tuner limit. Genie has 5 tuners, regular DVRs have 2 tuners, regular receivers have 1 tuner, and the mini clients do not have their own tuners.  You could for example add the Genie, keep one of your DVRs, and keep one of your receivers and be at 8 tuners (and still have 3 clients).