18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2013 10:44 AM by rabidusdecorus RSS

Only one tuner works on DVR

rockntractor

After many hours of trouble shooting and also trying a new receiver Directv has told me I will have to pay to have a tech come out and check my dish. I have paid Directv thousands of dollars over the last 13 years as a customer and have never had a tech come out since the initial installation. If I were to move they would send someone for free to reset my equipment.

I think it is time to move to Dish Network,my contract is up soon.

• Re: Only one tuner works on DVR
    rabidusdecorus

Do you have a cable in sat in 1 and 2?

peds48

try swapping the cables behind the DVR with and without BBCs,  if the problem stays with the tuner the you have a bad receiver.  However if the problem moves to the other tuner then you have a bad cable connector.  let us what you find

rockntractor

passed that step long ago,replaced all cables yesterday and finnaly tried dfferent combinations of cable connections to dish. Their are 4 available cables on dish. With most of the combinations I have tried when tuner 2 is hooked up it causes errors with tuner 1 , so I finally unplugged tuner 2 from the dish.

When problem started in the first place the receiver was in a continuous boot loop, shut down reboot shut down reboot etc...

The direct tv tech had me switch cables from tuner 1 to tuner 2 and this enabled operation with one tuner. They said they needed to send a tech out to check the dish, they were going to charge me,. like I said if I was moving they would go through an entire reinstall free to keep me as a customer but as is they want to charge me after 14 years service .

What I was hoping for now was a way I could fix it for my last 2 months or so of contract, after the contract is over they are losing me as a customer.

dcd

If you think about the fact that your equipment ran for 13 years without any problems, then a service call one time seems to me to indicate great reliability.  Directv charges $50 for a service call and that includes all parts and labor to put your system into top notch shape.  Everybody gets treated the same.  Note that this is a user to user self help forum designed to assist each other with technical issues.

peds48

Make sure the grass is actually greener on the other side.

shannon01

The part you need costs around $40 and you will need to climb a ladder to reach the dish.

dcd

One of my neighbors has been connected to the municipal water system for years.  He recently had a leak and it cost him a lot more than $50 to have it fixed.  Using this reasoning the water company should have fixed it for free.

rabidusdecorus

If you add the Protection Plan on at the same time you setup the service call for the issue, you get the service call free. The Protection Plan is $7.99/month after the first 30 days. This covers your boxes, remotes, cabling, and satellite, if anything happens replacements as well as service calls are free. It now covers accidental damage, so if you cut a wire, drop your remote, etc, its now covered. Also, you get a free equipment upgrade every 2yrs, and VIP installation. Only thing is, if you need to move the dish for reasons like roofers, or cosmetic reasons, that's not covered.