8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2013 4:59 PM by peds48 RSS

Hooking up Directtv for tailgate

bfischer

Trying to setup for a tailgate next weekend. Did a test-run yesterday in the driver, and failed. I'm wondering if I don't have everything I need. Here's images of everything I have: http://imgur.com/a/0FgnX

- Slimline dish (says SWM at the end of it)

- Brand new HD receiver (I just signed up for direct tv last week)

- 2 b band converter (install guy gave me 2, said I would need both)

A few questions:

- Do I need a SWM inserter? I went ahead and ordered one just in case.

- How do I hook up the 2 b band convertors? 

- On the back of the receiver are two inputs (Satellite in 1 & satellite in 2)

- Are there any step-by-step instructions for all the hookups.

Any thoughts/tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Re: Hooking up Directtv for tailgate
    litzdog911

Does that dish LNB assembly have ONE or FOUR coax connectors on it?

If it has ONE, then it's a SWM LNB and you will need a SWM Power Inserter.  The "To LNB" coax on the Power Inserter will connect to the dish LNB output, and the "To IRD" coax output will connect to your HD Receiver SAT INPUT.  You will not use the B-Band Converters.

peds48

That is a SWM LNB.  you will need a 21v power inserter. Cable goes to PI "PWR to SWM" and a coax jumper goes from "signal to IRD port" to the receiver's SWM input

bfischer

Thank you. So I have the 21v power inserter.

When I am choosing dish configuration settings, is this correct?

Dish Type: 17: Slimline-3S (SWM)

SwitchType: 01:SWM

Tuners: Dual

How important is the Tilt accuracy?

peds48

Correct.  however on a correct installed system those settings will be auto detected by the receiver

dcd

The tilt can be set using the marks on the dish mount.

Aligning a Slimline (or any other) dish from scratch can be a
        daunting task. However it can be done if you’re patient. Go to www.dishpointer.com
        and determine the magnetic azimuth, elevation and tilt settings for your
        location. Use a level to assure that your mast is perfectly plumb. Set the
        elevation and tilt to the markings on the dish. Use a compass and set the
        azimuth about 10 degrees East of the recommended magnetic setting. Tune your
        receiver to display the signal strengths on the 101 satellite, then choose the
        green signal bars from the link in the lower right corner of the signal screen.
        Slowly, a degree at a time, move the dish to the West until you get signals on
        the 101 satellite. All 32 (with a few of exceptions) of the transponders should
        light up. Fine tune for maximum signal. Lock down the main bolts.

At this point a procedure called “dithering” is employed to fine
        tune to the 101 satellite.  You can try
        skipping this and going to the next step.

Tune your receiver to display the signal
        strengths on the 99c satellite, then choose the green signal bars from the link
        in the lower right corner of the signal screen. Use a level to plumb the dish
        mast (essential)  Tighten the main clamps and loosen the fine tuning
        apparatus on one axis at a time.  Have someone watch (cell phones are
        handy to advise) while you adjust the fine tuning screw on the azimuth setting.
        Go slow, only tiny amounts will make a big difference. You'll soon know if
        you're going the wrong way and a couple of turns will likely max out the
        improvement. Lock the bolts and do elevation next. It should not be necessary
        to adjust the tilt. You should be able to get the signals into the 90's quite
        easily.