18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2013 9:42 AM by dcd RSS

771 error message-poor customer service

i have teh 771 error message on all of my tv's, i called directv after resetting my main tv and the main power in my basement, with no success, they told me that they can have a service tech to my house in 5 days, after screaming and yelling at them for over 1/2 hr and telling them that this is completely unacceptable since i've been a loyal customer for over 10 years AND pay for the service tech, the only responses i got out of 2 supervisors was that they would credit my acct. $20 and that they could only offer their apologies and try to escalate my concern and request... meanwhile, i pay for 5 receivers, HD, DVR service, Premier Pkg and the NFL pkg, so my bill each month isnt cheap.  does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to escalate the request further?  5 days without tv service is just ridiculous!!

• Re: 771 error message-poor customer service
    peds48

You can check your online account and see if there are any cancellations.  It looks like your market is very busy.

Directv has many technicians, including independent contractors.  i find it hard to believe they can't have anyone available for 5 days. I had a Genie installed last week and they had a technician available next day. 5 day wait time is definately not showing they care about my long term loyalty as a customer and I feel no reason to remain as a customer.

peds48

Correct!.  But if you just went to a bad storm this is usually when they get backed up.  and schedules vary on a weekly basis, especially now that the NFL is about to start

Yes and I pay for a service protection plan that says they guarantee a 3 day turn around.  That's false advertisement and I'm paying for a service that has no guarantee. I pay good money for their services and I expect good customer service in return. The storm ended 14 hours ago. And you're right, football season is starting and I can't even watch the first game Thursday because they can't restore service within the 3 days per the service plan.

peds48

The 3 days guarantee only applies to if you have a claim for a damaged TV, LCD or the like, it does not applies to DirecTV service calls.  FYI, I am just a customer like yourself.  Complaining here wont do much.  best to send your feedback to DirecTV

You  sound like a technician or a directv worker. I noticed you respond to many posts as well, which isn't a bad thing.  And I have complained to directv but posting here also lets everyone else know about their ****** customer service.

peds48

No, I just like to help folks

Can I ask you where you are seeing on directv's site that my market is very busy?  I don't recall mentioning what market I was located in and i would like to keep an eye on that myself If this is something that is available to the public since you said you are not affiliated with directv.

Thank you.

peds48

Nowhere, I just go by what is obvious. 

dcd

Not sure why you want to debate Peds48.  You're right, he does answer a lot of posts, as do I and a few others.  This is a self help forum and Directv has always encouraged knowledgeable folks to be part of the community and help their fellow customer.  I understand that you're unhappy with the service call time frame.  Peds or anyone else could have posted commiseration but rather they chose to give you a few facts.  Service calls are scheduled on a first come basis so to put you ahead would mean taking you out of line.  Now, be sure to sign in to your account on Directv.com several times each day and see if there is a cancellation.  Those will post and again, those earlier appointments go to first come.

dcd-i was not debating with anyone, and am not looking to, was simply stating facts as they were given to me by a rep and 2 supervisors that i spoke with.... and im not looking for commiseration from anyone, but if the power was out, the power companies work around the clock to restore service, i have also seen local cable companies and telephone companies doing the same, but not directv. just am a bit curious as to why a thunder storm of about an hour that didnt cause any power outages nor any damage, would take 5 days to have a technician to come out to have service restored when it seems others i have talked to in my immediate area either had no issues or had a technician there next day.  Now a question for you,  i have been signing into my directv account SEVERAL times a day and no where have i seen or do i see anything about any cancellations, only my scheduled service call.  so if this is a self help forum as you state, maybe you can guide me as to where on the site it indicates any cancellations, becuase i am not seeing that.  thank you.

tiripseno

Tanyak I feel for you.  I am a new customer and not one month into my service I start getting the same message.  I have a two week waiting period for a tech to come out...yes, two weeks.  And to think I have a two year contract...I am not very happy at this point.  I did get a credit for the two weeks but that is beside the point.  If the next two years is going to be anything like the first month I was better off just going without TV.  Could have saved myself a small fortune. 

Call them back daily. Speak to a supervisor and then speak to their supervisor. Tell them you want additional credits beyond what they have given you for the inconvenience.  If the power were out power companies and cable companies would be working around the clock to restore service!!  It turned out my issue was not due to a storm it was a bad main box where all the cables were hooked up. When the service was installed 2 years ago when I moved they must have used a used piece of equipment so it went bad. And I had to be inconvenienced for 5 days bc of that. Anyway if I were you, I'd call them back and tell them you want to cancel your service, really what can they hold you liable for? You haven't had your service with them that long anyway.  I also think half the people who respond to the posts on here work for directv in some capacity.

litzdog911

I also think half the people who respond to the posts on here work for directv in some capacit
        y.

You would be wrong.

dcd

Boy oh boy, you see a boogey man behind every tree apparently.  I am a retired man living on the Jersey Shore.  I cane to these forums several years ago with a signal issue.  One of the regulars, Texasbrit, took me under his "wing" and helped me to understand the basics of dish alignment.  I enjoyed the interplay so much I stuck around.  Eventually the website gave me one of their TechKnow Guide stickers and I've come here daily every since.  There are six or so ex TechKnow Guides still posting here (the stickers went away with the new software).  Not sure why you find it so hard to believe that just common folks would be willing to assist others.

As an ex guide, we have access to some private forums and occasionally a phone conference on new technology so we are well aware of which posters (there are a few) are Directv employees.  None of the folks who responded in this thread are in that group.