12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2014 7:36 AM by sandwichh RSS

MY hd dvr locks up at least once a day.

sandwichh

Sometimes it comes back after a few minutes but usally I have to channel up or do guide to get it back. Doing the red button reset has not solved this problem.

• Re: MY hd dvr locks up at least once a day.
    dcd

You may have a hard drive going bad.  You can check it thus:

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your
    hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:
    * Reboot DVR via Menu -> Parental, Fav's & Setup -> System Setup
    -> Reset -> Restart Receiver
    * When they see "Running receiver self-check" press select
    * You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
    * Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Surface Test
    * Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to
    run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is
    less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable
    system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

sandwichh

I finally got tired of the screen freezing after trying all the  things I had heard and called DTV. The automated answering thing is a pain in the rear but got through. The lady on the other end was great help and in a short time she seemed to find the problem and have not had a problem since. While walking me through all the steps I found some loose connections. She said with my equipment that was it. I have a swim box. I tightened ALL the connections with a small wrench and have not had a lock up since. Seemed too simple but as of now it has worked.

sandwichh

Okay.

After much time.

HDDVR and Swim box, new cable run, splitter replaced twice (once from 4 to 8), all but main dish cone,...

We finally realized the freezes were only on HD channels.

Last thing they did on last visit, (which was to replace splitter for 4 to 8)  they went back and did very fine tune of alignment to make all transponders equal, were 96 to 84 spread, and whalla,

So far it has been working with a very, very minor skip very, very seldomly when scenes change.

The thing that really bothered me was they always wanted to clear the ticket very quick when we didn't know it was fixed for sure. The unit would work for a while then in a week it would start acting up so I wanted to wait, they were always wanting to clear the ticket.