8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2013 11:36 AM by dcd RSS

Access point question

jeffron

I have the Genie DVR and a wireless access point. Now I can only use one devise at a time such as iPad or one desk top. I have to shut off all other things to be able to use one thing. This does not include my TVs. What do I need to do?  Any help out there

• Re: Access point question
    dcd

I'm afraid you aren't going to be able to utilize the various HD Directv features that rely on the Internet for operation.  The system is designed for full time connection.  Another problem is that when connected to a local network, the IP configuration for the system comes from the router so connecting and disconnecting would soon wear you out.

I'd suggest you simply use the system for your TV needs and call it good.

jeffron

Well, I'm afraid I can't just stop using my computer. I work from home on my computer.  The tech from direct TV set it up and it worked fine for about a month and now this Is happening.  I hope someone has a better answer for me, but thank you for trying to help.

dcd

Are you saying that for a month you disconnected the Internet access to your Directv system and connected it back when you wanted to use some feature of the system?  Sorry if my answer was not what you wanted, but unless I misunderstand (you must disconnect Directv from the Internet to use your computer or iPad?) then you won't like having to reconfigure your system each time you connect it.

jeffron

No, everything was working fine for a month.  I have never disconnected anything from the system.  It is still exactly as it was when the direct tv tech left.  But now I cannot use my computers and my iPad at the same time.  I figured out that I have to turn off one computer and iPad to be able to get on Internet on my work computer.  Then I have to turn that off to get on husband's computer and likewise for laptop and iPad.  I haven't tried out all the genie stuff yet, but I know the mini ones are working in the bedrooms and office.  The main one is in the living room with the genie and the hughes net Internet and the access point.

dcd

Sorry, I misunderstood your situation when you stated that "I can only use one devise at a time" to mean that you had to physically disconnect each device.  Here is an easy check to see if your connection on the Genie is working properly.  Press the remote's dash (-) button.  If it indicates Internet connected open the guide to channel 1239 and select a music concert to download.  If the program records then the Genie is working properly.

Of course, run the test when other use of your connection is not needed.