21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2013 6:00 PM by millennium69 RSS

Question about RVU TVs & Genie HD DVR

bestred1

Just ordered a new Genie HD DVR. I'm going to replace one of my HD receivers and keep my other DVR as the sales person told me this would give me ability to record 7-shows at once.

I currently don't have any RVU TVs but am thinking of buying one. I'll be putting it in a room that currently does NOT have a coax cable. Since it will be a wireless, smart TV, will it work with the genie via a wireless connection? Can't find any decent info on the DirecTV website. I have browsed through the forums and haven't been able to find much other than a few comments about issues.

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Question about RVU TVs & Genie HD DVR
    texasbrit

If it is a Samsung smart TV, then no, it won't (yet) work wirelessly. I have seen posts that say the new Sony RVU-compatible TVs will work wirelessly but since I don't have one I can't confirm.

bestred1

Was thinking Samsung since my other TVs are. Spent some time looking for info online on the compatible Sonys. No luck there either. DirecTV is doing a rotten job of covering this topic in my opinion.

Too bad, was hopeful that I didn't need to got through the hassle of running another coax cable up the wall.

So I take it you have an RVU Samsung hooked up to a Genie DVR? Is the $6 a month charge applicable for adding those TVs. When I called in yesterday, I was told no.

bestred1

I found the compatible model numbers. Just couldn't find any info about a wireless connection to the Genie.

texasbrit

yes, my Samsung TV is connected (wired) as an RVU.  And yes you pay the same $6 per month as every other receiver.

Don't remember which Sony was reported as allowing wireless but I will try to find it.

texasbrit

This article on the Sony web site seems to think it's possible...

SONY | eSupport - How to wirelessly connect the TV to a DIRECTV Genie Whole-Home HD DVR.

bestred1

So I bought a new 50 inch Sony Bravia R550A. Put it in a different room and went thru the drill of hooking it up wireless via the Genie. The wireless lag is sooooooooo bad its not worth having. Can't watch anything for more than a few seconds at a time.

What are my options? Will it work if I run a coax straight to the TV? I sure hope so as I don't want to hang a receiver on my wall.

I plan to call DirecTV tomorrow & ask them to send out an installer. I'm not going to spend another hour on the phone with them trying to do this myself.

I might add that this new TV works flawlessly via my wireless connection & Netflix. Yes, at hi-res as I know Netflix will downgrade based upon signal/connection speed. I have a top of the line Cisco wireless router that is about 1-year old. Its on the 2nd floor almost directly above the Genie DVR. The Genie has the wireless signal strength listed as fair which is **** in my opinion. They must have a horrible wireless device. I'll bet this is why I'm having lag problems.

Just to pile-on, my PS3 & Xbox-360 are both on the first floor and don't have any wireless lag problems whatsoever.

Trying to improve things myself, I moved my router about 10-feet. The signal strength improved to "good" on the genie. The lag is still very bad. Totally Unacceptable. Looks like DirecTV doesn't have this technology nailed yet. I hope running a coax will solve this.

Feedback anyone?

bestred1

So I had a DirecTV technician come to my house to check this out.

Results:

No go, couldn't get it to work via the RVU interface. Wound up running a coax and connecting a Genie-Mini. It is quite small and will tuck behind the TV; however, I now have three wires running up the wall: power cords for TV & Genie mini along with the coax cable. Will have to run some conduit up the wall so it doesn't look like ****.

I'm very disappointed. Thought this technology would work in a completely wireless set-up based upon everything I read here as well as other places. So I understand this wasn't developed by DirecTV; however, I think its very sad that DirecTV & Sony are both offering this solution when it just doesn't work well, if at all. The DirecTV technician said he has tried to install wireless RVU sets many "dozens of times" (his words) over the past year and has only been successful 3-times.

Had I known this, I wouldn't have went out of my way to buy an RVU enabled TV.

creidman12

Just received a Sony R550A TV for Christmas...and connected it wirelessly to my HR44 with the required help from DTV Tech Support. No separate devices required.....just TV and HR44. Also wanted to note my HR44 is hard-wired to my wireless network router.

I am experiencing the same issues as you...even when the Sony TV sits within a few feet of the HR44. I have noticed though...if you turn off any close Wi-Fi devices (phone, computer, etc.) the "skip" or lag in the Sony picture goes away. I know its a quick fix...but at least a temporary solution until a permanent one appears.

I started a separate post on this website...so hopefully the answer will come sooner than later.

Too many devices connected to my home Wi-Fi network? Bandwidth issue? Guess we'll wait and see.

millennium69

Your wifi should be full strength (pretty close) G, N or AC on the TV, B won't really get you good performance with HD channels. The genie uses two networks, the IP range from your network and a 169.254.x.x hidden range on the coax cable lines to connect to the clients. You'll always get better performance from wired than wireless so if you can run a coax to ethernet converter like the ones installed with the genie clients or connect a converter to a separate wireless network used for only streaming DTV (IE separate dual band wireless access point), you can experience better performance.

peds48

bestred1 wrote:

So I take it you have an RVU Samsung hooked up to a Genie DVR? Is the $6 a month charge applicable for adding those TVs. When I called in yesterday, I was told no.

Yes, RVU TV will incur the same $6.00 a month fe as any other receiver

dcd

If you get a HR44 Genie you could also get a C41w wireless client.  They are in limited release as of right now, but by the time you get the new TV then the C41w will likely be available nation wide.  This is not the same as a RVU or wireless setup, but it would allow connection in that room without a coax cable being run.  And, the clients are tiny, will snuggle behind the TV so as to be out of sight.

peds48

If you run a coax you will need a powered DECA for the RVU TV as well. 

FYI, RVU is not DirecTV's technology. RVU is just a protocol that DirecTV is embracing and IMO, wireless is just not up to "snuff" when it comes to streaming live FULL RES video

death_2_bella

RVU Alliance <- dunno if that might help

peds48

Wireless is  just not up to the task

dcd

I note that the Sony article that Texasbrit linked recommended a Ethernet cable from the TV to the router, and that is typical RVU setup.  It further stated that if wiring wasn't possible, maybe a Wi-Fi adapter could be used, thus the suggestion to get a C41W Client.  Personally I would not rely on wireless for any portion of my Directv system.

texasbrit

If you could get a coax to the C41, then you could get a coax to the TV. That plus a deca is all you would need to connect the TV hard wired.