18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2014 1:50 PM by peds48 RSS

Error 771

sixxpakk

Each day at around 11am I get this error code 771.  Then at about 4-6pm the signal returns.  This happens when there is not a cloud in the sky, no rain, or any other weather condition.  This happens every day, on multiple receivers.  I have reset the boxes, but get the same error.  I have signal readings of high 90's when i try the signal test.  Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

• Re: Error 771
    sixxpakk

Also wanted to mention, that I do get some channels, but not all, so it's not like I am losing total signal.

texasbrit

Sounds like you might have a temperature sensitive LNB, or connector. If your signals are already on the margins, you might get 771.

What are your signals on 101/99c/103ca/103cb, please post back with all the transponder numbers.

peds48

use the template below to post your signal readings

You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners. If you have a DVR it's important to check BOTH satellite tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner on the new post you create, using the example below as a guide. (The example below is only an example and not a form that will appear in your post unless you "cut" and "paste" it.) A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):
    Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
    [Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
    1-8 X X X X X X X X
    9-16 X X X X X X X X
    17-24 X X X X X X X X
    25-32 X X X X X X X X

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
    [A few HD channels, also beamed from 99 & 103º]
    1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA X
    9-16 NA X NA X NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
    [Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA X X X
    25-32X X X X X X X X

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]
    [Local HD channels for some cities]
    1-8 X X X X X X  NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA X X
    17-24 X X X X X X X X
    [Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 X X X X X X X X
    9-16X X X X X X  NA NA
    [Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]
    1-8 X X X X X X NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA X X
    17-24 X X X X X X X X

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    9-16 X X X X X X X X
    17-24 X X X X X X X X

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 X X X X X X X X
    9-16 X X X X X X X X NA NA
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

sixxpakk

Thank you for posting the template, here are my readings when the loss of signal occurs-

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition

channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8 96 96 95 0 96 99 95 99

9-16 96 99 96 96 96 100 96 100

17-24 98 0 97 98 96 100 97 100

25-32 97 98 95 100 98 100 98 100

Satellite

transponders (3 total at 110º)

[A few HD channels, also beamed from 99 &

103º]

1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA 98

9-16 NA 98 NA 98 NA NA NA

NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Local SD channels for

some cities, Spanish package]

17-24 NA NA NA NA NA 100 100 100

25-32 0 100 100 100 0 100 0 100

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD

channels for some cities]

1-8 0 0 0 0 81 0  NA NA

9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA 94 0

17-24 0 0 0 0 94 83 79 58

[Note: these can be very slow to

appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or

99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

1-8 97 95 95 95 9501 95 91

9-16 95 88 95 89 96 89  NA NA

Satellite transponders (16

total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

1-8 0 0 0 0  NA NA NA NA

9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA 79 97

17-24 24 26 97 96 98 93 88 81

[Note,

these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at

103º(ca))

[National HD channels]

1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

9-16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

17-24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Satellite transponders (14 total at

103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels]

1-8 97 95 96 95 95 95 95 92

9-16 95 91 95 92 95 91 NA NA

17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

litzdog911

texasbrit's diagnosis is spot on.  You're missing all of the readings from one of the 103º HD satellites.  This is most likely caused by a loose/defective coax cable connection at the dish/multiswitch, or a defective dish LNB.   If you can safely reach the dish connections, you can try removing and re-tightening all of the exterior coax cable connections.  Otherwise, best to call DirecTV for a service visit.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, otherwise ~$50, regardless of what needs repair.

leotor

I do not agree with a possible bad connection.  I have reported the same problem which appeared a week after I installed a new receiver.  The symptoms are exactly the same as those reported by the user SIXXPAKK and the old receiver was working perfectly since installation about 15 years ago.  If I reset the receiver (red button) everything works fine for a day or so, except channel 402.  I suspect an intermittent receiver.

sixxpakk

Leotor, thx for the reply.  I did try resetting the receiver, to no avail, still 771 error.  Also, this happens on multiple receivers throughout the house.

I did notify Directv and have a service call set up.

Thank you to all who replied offering help and suggestions.

litzdog911

Best to start your own new thread.  Your problem might indeed be totally different. 

dcd

@leotor a reset will not correct a lack of signal on one of the satellites so obviously the problem you describe is not the same as being discussed here.  I echo the suggestion that you start a fresh thread and describe your situation in detail.

leotor

Hi.  Sorry I took this long to update my comment.  True that a reset would not fix the problem.  However, in my case, it would recover all signals, except Channel 402 (no reason for this, but still is off).  After that reset, it worked fine until two weeks ago:  All channels showing Error 771, except two or three.  Reset it again and everything went back to normal for an hour or so and it started showing distorted picture on the TV screen for all channels. In desperation, (do not laugh) I give a soft smack at the corner of the receiver, where the control card is inserted... and the signal went back to normal, for a few minutes.  A second, harder smack and still is working to this time... still except the 402 channel.  For those that are not familiar with this, it used to be a common practice during my times, some 50 years ago, during the B/W TV times and vacuum tubes.   Then, whoever worked with solder must know what a 'cold solder point' is and that it does cause loss of signal.  Now, based on the fact that the reported problem started to show only on the 'new receiver unit' I received from DirecTV to replace the old receiver, I advised so to the Tech Rep that answered my first call, back in August.  As additional info, I also have a DVR/Receiver unit that has worked fine since the installation time, like the replaced receiver.  All coaxial connectors are clean, even those at the dish antenna.  So, if it ever fails again, I have no other choice but to call Dish to replace the whole installation. Thanks for listening.

litzdog911

I would consider a cold solder joint to be a hardware defect that warrants replacement.  Of course, you might need to stretch the facts a bit and simply tell the support rep  that "it's dead".   Then a replacement receiver won't cost more than $20 for shipping (free if you have DirecTV's Equipment Protection Plan). 

leotor

Hi dear litzdog011,

I am writing this update to my early complaint because you have been requesting it.

At this point the 'faulty' new receiver you sent me is working for longer periods of time than before, I suppose it got tired of me hitting it on the side everytime I lost the signal.  No more resets, or checking anything, but a quick soft slap on the side or on top and it runs for another week or so.  I have a very old system and I know you are providing new equipment with better features and I feel you should replace it for free, given the time I am your subscriber.   I made up my mind that the next time this receiver starts pestering me again, I will throw the whole system out the door and switch to another carrier.

I was a happy customer of yours, and even referred family members to get your services, until you sent me this 'new updated receiver'.  Thanks for everything and please close the case.  There is no point in pursuing something you are not able to fix.

For your information I have copied an answering message, I sent to you back in Oct last year.  It was bounced back twice....

To: jive-1747237084-6p77l-2-6pict@forums.directv.com

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 22:19:32 -0400

Subject: Re: [DIRECTV Receiver Technical Support & Troubleshooting] - Error 771

Received: from outbound-bu1.vgs.untd.com (mailpop16.vgs.untd.com [10.181.45.36])

by smtpout03.vgs.untd.com with SMTP id AABKHGD9DAFFKABS

for <jive-1747237084-6p77l-2-6pict@forums.directv.com> (sender <leotor@juno.com>);

Thu, 31 Oct 2013 19:20:19 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the quick reply dear litzdog911.   At this point, I believe that after about 15 years of subscription with DirecTV, I deserve better.

It was you that sent me that new receiver when the old one was working correctly, and I reported it as faulty on my first call, so I feel it is

your responsibility to provide me with a correctly working unit, free of any charges, since I am paying high price for this service for too many

years..   At this point, I'm thinking it is time to look for a different carrier.

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 18:18:33 -0700 litzdog911 <directv-admin@forums.directv.com> writes:

litzdog911

Thanks for the update.  Hope you realize that I am NOT a DirecTV employee.  I'm a customer just like you.  Did you ever get DirecTV to send you a replacement Receiver?  If the replacement Receiver is having the same issues, then it's not a Receiver problem.  If you don't feel that it's worth a $50 service visit to fix the problem, then I wish you the best with your next service provider.

sixxpakk

Tech replaced LNB on the dish which seems to have corrected the issue.  Thanks for all the replies.

spankybug@yadtel.net

my other receivers on the same dish does the same thing, i have replaced the the cabels and the dish head, its just on this receiver.

peds48

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.