16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2013 8:20 AM by dcd RSS

Internet Connection problem

erikp

I have the whole home HD DVR service. My DVR is an HR24 with 2 other HD receivers (non DVR). I have recently started having Internet issues. The internet is hardwired, not wireless. When I hit the "dash" button it shows the internet is not connected, however if I run a system test, it shows that it is connected. If I go into Network Set-up, and go to more info, it shows as connected. I am unable to download any on-demand nor use the youtube app (have used in the past), but other apps are working fine so I am assuming the internet is in-fact connected. I tried a reset with the red button, but that did not help. I also hit "connect now" which went fine and gave me a message stating I was now connected, etc. I then immediately hit the "dash" button, but it again said "Not connected." I ran a speed test on my internet connection and it is a steady 3 Mbps download, 1.1 upload (not sure if this matters). Any ideas? Could it be the receiver going bad (I have already had this replaced once this year). Thanks.

• Re: Internet Connection problem
    peds48
    try resetting your router along with the receiver.  see if that helps
    mrtyler10

Seems alot of customer hardwiring ethernet to receivers are getting these issues on whole home and internet connections wonder Y maybe the Ethernet should be removed and try a CCK like it shows. But others will argue otherwise hardwiring is the best connection but as far as I'm aware CCk must be used when internet and whole home is being used , or will either disrupt the internet connection or whole capablities! That or U can reset everything constantly when the issue occurrs but 9-10 will happen again and again.

dcd

You are correct that in a Whole Home system the HR2X DVR's cannot be connected directly to the router via Ethernet but must have a coax to DECA-BB adapter to connect to the router.  However, the HR34 and HR44 can be connected directly to the router using an Ethernet cable.

zudnikz

guess my HR20,HR21,HR23,HR24 DVRs and H23 receiver work by FM then.

peds48

Huh???

zudnikz

sorry peds,,, FM is not FM radio.      

litzdog911

I think that peds48, like me, is simply puzzled about what you're asking.   What does "FM" have to do with this thread?

It is short for "Freaking Magic".

zudnikz

Whew.. thanks gregzoll...

Let me clarify while eliminating any sarcasm to dcd's statement

'You are correct that in a Whole Home system the HR2X DVR's cannot be connected directly to the router via Ethernet but must have a coax to DECA-BB adapter to connect to the router.'"

I have 4 DVRs HR20,HR21,HR23,HR24, and a standard H23 reciever in my house,   All connected via Ethernet.

no problems over the last 3 years.    Whole Home works wonderfully as does all On Demand and other internet functionality.

Just not sure why it was stated that it cannot be done.

dcd

dcd's statement

'You are correct that in a Whole Home system the HR2X DVR's cannot be connected directly to the router via Ethernet but must have a coax to DECA-BB adapter to connect to the router.'"

I have 4 DVRs HR20,HR21,HR23,HR24, and a standard H23 reciever in my house,   All connected via Ethernet.

no problems over the last 3 years.    Whole Home works wonderfully as does all On Demand and other internet functionality.

Just not sure why it was stated that it cannot be done.

As Peds posted, your Internet connected receivers and DVR's will work but they are in the configuration used during the BETA testing stage prior to the release of the DECA system.  Since that time some receivers have been released that have no Ethernet port and should you ever be given one of those to replace a faulty box, you'll find your Whole Home system will be partially non functional.  In any event, I try to advise folks to use the approved and current technology, thus the statement not to use the Ethernet port to connect to the router except in the case of the HR34 or HR44.

peds48

That thread was removed by the system admin...

peds48
    yup, there is no issues when the Genie is used as a bridge.
    erikp

I did some testing last night. When I got home I looked at my playlist and the movie I tried to download on Saturday was finally there. I hit the "dash" and it showed internet connected. I then went to channel 1239 and attempted to download a concert. It started to download, then gave me an error stating it could not playback because the speed was too slow and it would record it. I then hit "dash" and it said not connected. I am guessing my speed is just too slow for on-demand to function properly. I am going to contact Time Warner today and bump up to the 15Mbps service. I am also considering upgrading to the Genie. Does anybody know if they offer free upgrades? I read somewhere that if you have the maintenance plan, which I do, you can get a free upgrade with a new 2-yr agreement. Does the Genie cost anything extra as compared to what I am paying now? (WHole home w/HD DVR and 2 HD receivers).

dcd

Last things first.  The Genie will cost the same per month as an DVR.  As to the "must record" message.  In order to play back On Demand programming in real time you need at a minimum 8 Mbps, so the 15 should work.  Note that on occasion even the fastest connection won't play in real time due to slow server issues etc.

As to the dash button giving a conflicting result.  Until recently I considered that to be the definitive test of a complete connection.  However, I have a HR34 Genie that as of the last software update consistently gives a "Internet Not Detected" to the dash test in spite of the fact that all other tests indicate a good connection and all of the Internet based features work perfectly.

peds48

Yes, it works, but this is considered "unsupported" by DirecTV.  The beauty of the DECA is that one ethernet connection is required and the receivers are networked using the same cables that feeds the satellite signals.