32 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2013 1:50 PM by jifener25 RSS

Customer Service/ Technical Support

wvranich

Directv makes it too difficult to get to someone that can help you on the phone.  it is without a doubt the worst customer service company i have ever dealt with.

My on demand doesn't work.  I went through a troubleshooting process with several technicians on the phone, and they deemed my broadband internet was the problem.  I called Windstream, my internet provider and they told me the problem is Directv.  i called directv to get a technician to my house and they told me it would cost $49 even though I have the service protection plan.  Because, "Nick" from Oregon Directv had to determine my worthiness of sending out a technician.  Even though, he was looking at the record of my earlier troubleshooting attempts.  He even commented on the fact that I'm Ondemand is free.  "Nick," no it's not, i'm paying for Directv, nothing is free.

So here i am, nobody to talk to, nobody to help me.  Stuck between to giant companies.

• Re: Customer Service/ Technical Support
    litzdog911

We're all customers like you.  If you provide some details about the exact problem you're having (error messages, model numbers, network configuration,etc.), perhaps we can help.  

peds48

did it ever worked before?

what is your download speed?

wvranich

download speed is 10 mbps, It worked before.

peds48
        did you actually do a speed test?  
          wvranich

yes

litzdog911

What exactly is not working?  Steps you're taking. Error messages?   More details please.

dcd

Before you totally loose faith in Directv's ability to assist you, keep something in mind.  Your lack of a network connection is almost surely due to some setting (or malfunction) in your non Directv equipment.  If you consider the fact that there are literally hundreds of ISP's, modem brands and models and various routers, the possible network equipment combinations are a very large number.  The individual on the phone may be pretty good with the Directv stuff, but the other equipment is really your baby.  Having said that, maybe we can help.

Post back the brand and model of your router, DVR model number, do you have Whole Home DVR?  How is your DVR connected to your router?  Give us the model number of the adapter, if any.

wvranich

Every other device i have (6) that is connected to either the wifi or

direct to the router functions perfectly, high speed internet.  Directv

Genie is the only device that does not connect to the internet.  The main

genie box is connected to coaxial cable network that runs throughout my

house that is connected to my internet router through some conversion

device (coaxial cable to CATV cable).

I've gone through the steps on the phone with Directv technical disservice

(hold down info button and navigate to network connection) and we

discovered that the IP address tells us that the Genie box is not connected

to the internet.  I unplugged the device that connects to internet, I've

unplugged router, I've unplugged Genie to reset all. After going through

that process a dozen times, the genie network connection always says it's

not connected to the internet.

directvjunkee

I apologize to hear about your issues with OnDemand, I beleive windstream is an satilite internet provider correct? I don't beleive DirecTV CCKW - support Sat. Internet.  I would verfiy with there tech dept at Directv Customer Service.

peds48

That is not true.  as long as your ISP provides you with adequate download speeds, VOD would work

peds48

RIght, you said that DirecTV CCK does not support internet satellite, which is incorrect.  that such service has a limit is another story.

reis1642

wvranich,we both feel your pain as far as the customer service at Direct TV goes. We have had nothing but problems with this GENIE receiver since we had it installed last March. Rest assured there will be no more "upgrades" for us, when our contract is up we will be going back to cable. This receiver records shows at random, deletes shows that were recorded by us and won't completely record some programs. We tell DTV the problems we're having and they tell us that the receiver cannot do what we described above. It's always your word against theirs. Our local cable company has a promo from time to time where they will buy out your satellite contract for signing up with them. I will never recommend DTV to anybody primarily because of the poor customer service. That protection plan is a joke too, all it's intended to do is increase DTV's bottom line. I have even considered going to my local courthouse to have our contract cancelled as DTV is not living up to their end of the contract. Maybe call my state attorney general about DTV's practices. Like you we are tired of talking to a robot when we call the customer service number. One other thing: you shouldn't use more than 80% memory on these GENIE receivers as that will cause problems as well. I also determined this is a refurbished receiver, not a new one as they tell you.

tgb

I have the exact same problem and have had the same ****** experience with customer service. My network is fine the problem lies with DCAW1R0-01 (CCK)  unit which simply is not working properly. I am going to try and get the unit replaced since I have the protection plan.

wvranich

I had the protection plan, and ran into one hurdle after another with

directv. They simply wouldn't send anyone out. Told me it is for sure my

internet provider.  It was not. It was the on demand unit. I replaced it,

and it works.

seni0401

Just curious, what protection plan do you have?

I'm new to DTV and if they're going to be difficult to deal with in sending a technician out, even when I'm paying for a protection plan that covers that, then I'm going to seriously re-evaluate whether or not I need to be spending the extra money every month.

I honestly think it's kind of a hose job anyway that I have to pay for a protection plan, to cover the cost of THEIR equipment/service failure in the event that I need service work done, or new device of some sort...

I've never had to pay for a cable provider to come out and "fix" something if it's not working properly. They would always say, "Well, if we find that the problem you're having is a result of 'user error' then you'll be charged for the service call", which was fine with me because if there was ever a problem is certainly wasn't 'user error', or anything that I would have done to cause a problem.

I've read that people who don't have the protection plan had to pay for the shipping cost of a new receiver in the event that their old one crapped out on them. There is no fathomable explanation in the universe as to why that is fair. I mean, if a device fails, due to no fault of mine, why should I have to pay any kind of cost to have to replaced? I shouldn't.

wvranich

The protection plan is worthless.  I spent hours and days trying to get my

equipment to work properly with technical support.  No matter what tactic I

took, I could not convince them to come out to look at the equipment.  They

were sure it was a problem with my internet.  Even though everything else

connected to the internet worked fine.  In the end, i figured out the

problem myself, and purchase the new directv equipment to replace the

defective directv equipment.  And I had the protection plan.

I couldn't agree more with you that a company should stand by their own

equipment and proper operation of that equipment.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:19 AM, seni0401

peds48

not sure where you are located, but you are more than welcome to drive or fly to DirecTV headquarters and pick it up,  or just pay to have it shipped to you. which ever is more convenient for you.

seni0401

When I pay what I pay for monthly service from a company like DirecTV, and their equipment is defective, through no fault of my own, what's convenient is having the company stand by their product and replace it at no cost to me...

DirecTV has plenty of retailers around, so there's no reason why they can't have a retailer supply a customer with new equipment and then ship a replacement to the retailer.

It's like renting a car for a weekend, driving 200 miles from home, stopping for gas, and when you put the key back in you realize the ignition has failed and it won't turn over. Should you have to pay to have it towed back to the rental lot? No.

peds48

DirecTV does not charge to replace the receiver.  however as I said, you do pay to have it shipped to you, or you can pick it up and DirecTV headquarters. 

as far as you analogy is concerned, unless you buy additional insurance, you are in hook for any repairs.  same as DirecTV.

Here is an excerpt from Avis car rental agreement

First, contact the police (911). Always complete an Avis Accident/Incident Report when the car has been involved in an accident or damaged. Contact Avis Roadside Assist at 800-354-2847. Then contact your personal auto insurance company and establish a claim for damage. If you are renting with a major credit card, you may want to contact their customer service department to determine if coverage is afforded through their collision program. You do not need to wait to receive our claim documents to report your claim to your personal insurance company and/or Credit Card Company.

The renter is responsible for any and all loss of or damage to the car resulting from any cause including but not limited to collision, rollover, theft, tire damage and vandalism, medical condition, flood, fire, hail or other acts of Nature. If you have accepted the Avis LDW coverage and there is no breach of contract violation, you will not be responsible for the damages.

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/content/render-faq.ac

seni0401

Umm... no, genius, re-read that.

My analogy was to that of a 'no user fault' mechanical issue. What you posted is in reference to accident/damage.

I didn't say "should the renter have to pay for the repair of the vehicle", (which in my 'what if' scenario, they shouldn't) I said, "should you have to pay to have it towed back to the rental lot?"

Do you see where I'm going with this? The "towing" is an analogy to the "shipping".

And, my point still is, if their equipment is defective, I shouldn't have to pay ANY cost to have it replaced, which includes the shipping.

peds48

Towing would be covered by your own insurance, if you have any

seni0401

Are you just here to argue... or do you have something constructive to add to the conversation?

No, by the way, towing in that scenario would be up to the rental car company. WHY? Because, again, it's a "no user fault mechanical issue".

Any other unintelligent thoughts you'd like to share before I get back to work?

dcd

We all understand that you do not like the policy (lots of folks share your view) of Directv charging postage to ship a defective component but the flat fact is that's the way they've set up their business and if you wish to deal with them you're stuck with their policies.  You're right that arguing the point doesn't accomplish anything.

wyounce

Hey wvranich, Have you tried to put and Ethernet cable from the Genie to your modem. It seems that all Genies seem to lose the WiFi stream from time to time so it best to hook it up straight to it. You can also put an RG6 cable to the room where the Modem is and add a Broadband Deca to the system. Both of these ways will help keep you connected to the internet. Hope this help you out.