10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2013 6:08 PM by rothka RSS

Technical question

rothka

Our tv was originally hooked up thru our VCR.  Whenever there is an outage, we have to use our vcr remote to fix that and then the tv would go back on.  How can I disconnect the VCR without screwing up the tv???

• Re: Technical question
    peds48

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

rothka

I have a HD-DVR model # HR24-500.

litzdog911

Do you have an HDTV?  If yes, then use an HDMI cable to connect directly from the HR24's HDMI OUT to the HDTV's HDMI INPUT.  Select that Video Input on your TV.   Connecting through your VCR means you've never been getting HiDef video.

rothka

No, it is not an HD tv, but we got the HD-DVR so when we do get one.  Does this mean, I am screwed til we get an HD tv?

litzdog911

No, you're not screwed.  Does your TV have a yellow RCA "Composite Video" Input?  If so, you can use the DVR's matching output to feed your TV directly.  Along with the yellow RCA video cable you need the red and white RCA audio cables from the DVR's Audio OUT to the matching TV Audio Input. 

Also, in the DVR's HDTV/Video Setup Menu, be sure to select only the "480i" video resolution box.  All the others should be unchecked. 

rothka

Ok, I will try that.....thank you so much....I will reply back either way after I try it

rothka

Ok, letting you know after playing around with the yellow, red and white cables.....finally was able to disconnect the VCR.  Because the cables were connected to the tv, vcr, and dvr, I had to figure out which was to what and just glad it is done and everything works great.  Thank you so much.  If it wasn't for knowing to even switch all the colors, who knows if it would of come out right.

rothka

Thank you, after playing around with the cables for a while, I finally was able to disconnect the VCR and just hook up the tv to the DVR and also not ruin the tv to DVD player.   Whew